• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
You know the dumb fun insanely fast paced racer like ridge racer or burnout revenge? Is wipeout the closest we've got? Is it a dying genre?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The arcades fell massively in popularity and the companies that made them that still make console games have generally focused on fewer IP.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It died for years but it's kinda on the way back now no? With smaller games like 90's Super GP, that new Horizon one, Onrush, GRIP. Even Ridge Racer is rumoured (solidly) for Switch. And Burnout Paradise Remastered is clearly a test for if this type of game can still sell. If EA are happy with it's sales I'd expect a new Burnout soon.

EDIT: By "that new Horizon one" I meant the one linked below.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I"m still grateful we got the Burnout Paradise Remaster. If you haven't played that OP you really should.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
At least we are getting this magnificent arcade racer soon, and with local multiplayer.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
  • OnRush
  • Sonic Racing whateverthehellitis
  • Super GP (90s Arcade Racer)
  • The Crew 2
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • DriftStage
  • Horizon Chase Turbo
So far so good.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch came out around 2010-2012 like Blur, Split/Second, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, etc, that either bombed or disappointed which seemingly killed the genre. Thankfully the indie scene and mid-tier publishers are starting to take a look at it again. Games like Grip, Onrush, Redout and such are very stellar or look great.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
People don't actually care at all about the arcade racing genre (which isn't dead), they just want another burnout

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
I would be very happy with Ridge Racer being remastered in 4K 60fps and stuck on the digital stores.

I would also be very happy if I could play Split Second in any way possible on the PS4. Not going to happen though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gravel came out last month on PS4, Xbox One and Steam. Seems like it fits the arcadey rally racer mould?

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Mario Kart 8 Deluxe count?

And a new Sonic Racing game is coming out. I especially love Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed so I'm really excited for this one.

Unless we're not counting Kart racers, then uh yeah, OnRush looks nice.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully Ridge Racer will emerge from the abyss and shine a light on the darkness that is our hearts.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
They're all locked behind limited licences with Ferrari (Outrun) and Offspring (Crazy Taxi)

Learn your lesson developers: Don't put limiting licenses in your games. No one cares about real brands and music anyway. Learn from the Part-time UFO soundtrack which is simple but still fantastic!

Oct 27, 2017
"No true arcade racer"

What defines an arcade racer and why doesn't Horizon 3 or the Crew 2 possess those things?

Accessible/simplistic driving controls that are easy to learn but difficult to master?

Something along those lines. Driving a Ferrari in Outrun 2 is a totally different experience than the one you get in FH3. I've put 100+ hours into both The Crew and FH3 and I just look at them more as open world racers, not so much arcade.

Just the sheer amount of tuning options you get in Horizon pushed it more towards the SIM racer side to me.

The more I think about it, the crew is more arcade then I give it credit for. Unlocking better upgrades and versions of most vehicles makes it a lot more streamlined and arcadey.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I really really want another midnight club. Have been wanting a good racer for a while, and randomly thought of it the other day: fond memories

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see a resurgence sometime soon, arcade racers are one of my favourite genres so it's sad to see it mostly die off. I would do anything, anything for a remaster or remake of Ridge Racer Type-4, for me that's the greatest arcade racer of all time.

Deleted member 4541

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon set the bar pretty fucking high.

I really wish Sony would bring back Motorstorm, I had a ton of fun with those.

Or Midnight Club, so I can throw 20s on EVERYTHING again.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
There's actually been a lot of arcade racers lately, it's just that they usually start off on PC and a lot of them don't involve cars.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a dying genre unfortunately. There are some great indie spiritual successors available or in development but most AAA publishers/developers have either moved away from arcade racers entirely or merged the arcade play-style into other genres that do better like open-world.

If we're being honest though, the arcade racer has been mostly dead since the PS2 began outside of a few exceptions. The PS1/N64 era was the peak of the genre, it's been downhill since then.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Motorstorm Pacific Rift was the last one I played. I'd love something new in the genre, though.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember that moment in 2010 when Split/Second, Blur, and ModNation Racers all came out in the span of one week. That was one of the best moments of last-gen for me.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
I am still waiting 90's Arcade Racer. Nicalis never were good with timeframes (especially with PAL territory). Last news I read the developer took back the IP and intended to continue development

large.jpg

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, Forza Horizon 3 and Mario Kart 8 are the only games that are scratching that itch for me right now. Would love to see something new in the vein of Burnout, Split/Second (!), Blur, Pure, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage and the like. Maybe Onrush or The Crew 2 will do that for me.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Something along those lines. Driving a Ferrari in Outrun 2 is a totally different experience than the one you get in FH3. I've put 100+ hours into both The Crew and FH3 and I just look at them more as open world racers, not so much arcade.

Just the sheer amount of tuning options you get in Horizon pushed it more towards the SIM racer side to me.

The more I think about it, the crew is more arcade then I give it credit for. Unlocking better upgrades and versions of most vehicles makes it a lot more streamlined and arcadey.

Forza Motorsport isn't considered a sim and horizon is further away from a Sim than Motorsport. Not to mention the assists allow you to change the level of arcade you want to enjoy in both.

I mean you can go offroading on a snowy mountain in a Lamborghini.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I am still waiting 90's Arcade Racer. Nicalis never were good with timeframes (especially with PAL territory). Last news I read the developer took back the IP and intended to continue development

large.jpg

Yup, this game needs to release on Switch ! I want it so bad !!!

Sadly arcade racing games are very rare this gen and it's a bit depressing.

I'm still playing these games and i think they're worth your time.

- Fast RMX (Amazing game)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
- Burnout Paradise remaster (hey better than nothing)
- Trackmania Turbo.

Wish for another Ridge Racer, SEGA arcade racing games or remaster of old games would be enough and another non-open world Burnout. On Rush looks promising but i'm not sure if i'll dig the gameplay which is not really an arcade racer.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTAO racing is fantastic!
Might give that onrush beta a spin but I don't feel it at all so far. Driveclub was shite and Motorstorm awesome though.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All I know is I really miss ridge racer and would die for a remastered Project Gotham Racer collection.

As far as FH3 that is more simcade than arcade imo. It's based on a sim engine and it doesn't let you forget that. It's great fun but I treat it as a different genre compared to old school arcade racers.

I also miss the old school point to point races , where track design was a huge emphasis versus crafting an open world that tracks are forced into.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Forza Motorsport isn't considered a sim and horizon is further away from a Sim than Motorsport. Not to mention the assists allow you to change the level of arcade you want to enjoy in both.

I mean you can go offroading on a snowy mountain in a Lamborghini.

I own Forza 5 and 6 and all of the Forza's Horizon's 1,2 and 3 but they're NOT arcade racing games at all. Horizon doesn't have boost, still controls like a mix between arcade and sim but is closer to sim, has way too many options and menus are not easy on the eye or easy to get into and understand, it also has real cars which the best arcade racers don't bother with because it's not about owning a Ferrari or something but more about going full speed with an adrenaline rush. Arcade racing games have that simplicity in menus, easy gameplay filled with crazy unrealistic stuff like boost, weapons etc.. usually focused on fun.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Not only arcade style, but arcade style that's not open world. Give me a track, accessible controls, and a sense of speed. I don't want to watch a map or drive to events. I just want to go fast, out maneuver other racers and, in some cases, battle while racing.

The kinds of games I'm thinking of:
Burnout 3
Rush 2049
Daytona USA
Motorstorm
Project Gotham Racing

I really don't get why most racers these days need to be sim-style and/or open world. I miss arcade racers. I basically have to pull out one of these games to get my fill these days. I even fired up the PS2 conversion of Virtua Racing recently (which is actually pretty good).