• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 15, 2017
the way you brought it up as an example of a recent arcade racer when OP specifically was looking for things like burnout revenge is kind of my point!

paradise was obviously an ambitious, original and accomplished game for the time, but it was directly responsible for the subsequent idea that all arcade racing games have to be open-world. see EA putting criterion to work on NFS, the failure of blur/split second, and so on.

this sucked and continues to suck for fans of track-based arcade racers like burnout 1-4. series like ridge racer have more or less disappeared since (though hopefully RR8 does happen). open-world racers are just totally different games — there's no focus on track design, no way to implement interesting and distinctive mechanics that'd break down in an open world, no proper time trials, less satisfying progression through a career mode, etc.

i like forza horizon 3 as much as the next person but it's really not the same. sometimes i just want to choose a car from a menu and use a dumb nitro system to drift through a lovingly crafted closed track as quickly as possible.

I feel you. What if there's a way to do both?

Nov 2, 2017
At least we are getting this magnificent arcade racer soon, and with local multiplayer.

As others have commented, this post made my day. Plan to get this on release. Couldn't really adjust to iOS controls, I had forgotten about this Steam release.

I would also have to second the mentions of TrackMania Turbo; a free game via Xbox GWG for me. I have been surprised just how much I like the time attack set up. I tried the original TrackMania multiple times on PC but it never stuck. This has.

Although not an arcade racer, another free time attack GWG, Trials Fusion, has also received a lot of playing time from me on recent weeks.

As a fan of the Need for Speed series, I actually really like Payback ... much more than Rivals and the NFS reboot (I have Xbone/EA Access). The latter two may be hampered by the confusing online/multiplayer integration (well, confusing for me), but Payback offers some fun racing action. I also like the silly story, but as a big fan of The Run, that is par for course for my tastes.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's really sad at the relative lack of them. And people who mention Forza Horizon and Driveclub are crazy. I think any game where you have to use an actual brake around turns is not an arcade game. Ebrake, yes. Drifting yes. But you should never have to slow down around turns.

Onrush looks great but is sadly not a racing game. The Crew 2 looks excellent, though. Really looking forward to that.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Or I bought it physically all those years ago? either way it's abandonware..no need to cyber police.
No cyber policing intended. Assuming that is the pc version we're talking about does the physical copy come with a steam key I can use to download the game from steam if I buy the physical copy? I don't have a dvd driver for my pc.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
No cyber policing intended. Assuming that is the pc version we're talking about does the physical copy come with a steam key I can use to download the game from steam if I buy the physical copy? I don't have a dvd driver for my pc.
Nope I have to use a crack with it. I think if you bought it on steam it still works though? You just can't buy it anymore

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Redout is a pretty good arade-y racer like Wipeout. The learning curve is harsh as hell and kinda gets in the way of fully enjoying all the effort poured into it by the devs, tho.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Redout is a pretty good arade-y racer like Wipeout. The learning curve is harsh as hell and kinda gets in the way of fully enjoying all the effort poured into it by the devs, tho.
Redout is damn near close to being a masterpiece. Incredible music, one of the most distinctive visual styles in a game ever, an amazing sense of speed, perfect track design, literally all it needs are some minor gameplay tweaks to how ship handling works.

Jan 18, 2018
Nintendo released Cruis'n Blast last year.

Cant get more arcade racer than the GOAT

cruisn4.jpg

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Redout is damn near close to being a masterpiece. Incredible music, one of the most distinctive visual styles in a game ever, an amazing sense of speed, perfect track design, literally all it needs are some minor gameplay tweaks to how ship handling works.
Yep, you get what I'm talking about. The tracks, music, and visual style are next level. I put a good amount of time into it but the handling eventually got to me which is unfortunate.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I think any game where you have to use an actual brake around turns is not an arcade game. Ebrake, yes. Drifting yes. But you should never have to slow down around turns.
Preach it, brother!

And to add to that, requiring analog accelerators should also disqualify a title from being an arcade racer — true arcade racing is either "mash the pedal into the floorboard" or "release gas briefly to slow down for a moment" (or alternating between the two).

GriffinCorp

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a new San Francisco Rush.

YES! I would love a new Rush game or a remaster for the N64 Rush games. I loved the music, cheesy for today but it still holds a special place with me. Played so much of that growing up and the games have been moving away from it every year. Burnout series was the next in line that I could not get enough of and it was basically shelved for years. Very happy the remaster came out. It's been holding me over nicely. Hopeful for Burnout Revenge and/or Burnout 3 next. I feel that the Arcade Racer is coming back.

CrashedAlex

Three Fields Entertainment
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
I've been playing some "Burnout Revenge" on my 360 this week in fact. It's way too dark. Boy, did we get a few things wrong when it came to HD. But hey, it was the first HD title for a lot of us.

We're close to announcing some stuff, so stay tuned.

And this genre is far from 'dead' or 'has been killed' I know that.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing some "Burnout Revenge" on my 360 this week in fact. It's way too dark. Boy, did we get a few things wrong when it came to HD. But hey, it was the first HD title for a lot of us.

:O
:D

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
My definition of arcade racers is what Sega and Namco were doing in the 90's. (Daytona, Sega Rally, Scud Racer, Ridge Racer and SASRT...)

Mario Kart, Crash Team and first Sonic Racing are a kart/party racing.

Forza Horizon, Burnout, The Crew, Blur and Project Gotham are all sim-cades.

I miss the first group a lot. I enjoy the second. The last group is very healthy.

IronicSonic....I agree with just about everything you said. Let me say this however: Sounds like you and a lot of other people in this thread slept on a game called GRID 2. If you have, I suggest.....no, scratch that....I *IMPLORE* you do check out GRID 2, like.....NOW!!!!!

When the game came out it was hated by a lot of Codemasters fans for not having a silly cockpit cam, and consequently proceeded to get bashed and raked over the coals by many people that would have otherwise mostly like purchased the game. Those of us that actually bought it and stuck with it however, discovered that underneath all the bullshit controversy, was arcade racer that pays a HUGE homage to the Sega and Namco racers of the 90's.

GRID 2's physics are so fucking good you will swear you're playing a mix between Daytona, Outrun 2 and Sega Rally Championship. CM managed to make the cars extremely drifty and you're actually encouraged powerslide around corners to get the best times. Driving the McClaren F1 in GRID 2 is literally like driving the one from Scud Race! The Ariel Atom feels exactly like the Rivelta Solare from Ridge Racer V. These cars extremely fun to drive!

Everyone's talking about Burnout, NFS, etc but I can guarantee you NONE of them hold a candle to the pure arcade fun of GRID 2. The game is 5 years old and there are *STILL* people playing it online on Steam! Buy GRID 2 guys. It has all the hallmarks of the classic racers from Sega and Namco, and has a KILLER career mode and a fairly healthy online community to boot!

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
By the way guys: two things I'd like to point out....

1)There *IS* another "90's Style Sega-ish" arcade racer many of you may not have been aware of, coming out on May 1st on Steam called Fast Beat Loop Racer: It actually looks VERY good and appears to be sort of a Wangan Midnight/Scud Racer-ish type of mix. I got my pre-order in already and I'm VERY excited!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/633110/FAST_BEAT_LOOP_RACER_GT__GT/

2)I know a lot people here are like me and loathe the whole Open-World style racer that's sort of taken over, but allow me to admit that as much as I scoffed at the idea of embracing an open world racer like Forza Horizon 3, I actually LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME lol! I just got 100% in FH3 and currently going through Blizzard Mountain. I have to say, the Blizzard Mountain DLC has taken the fun to the next level. It is fucking BANANAS!! The cars' physics are somehow even MORE on the arcade side of things because of the snow terrain, and sliding around corners in cars like the Mini Cooper feels VERY Daytona USA-ish! I can't speak for Hot Wheels DLC but if it's anything like Blizzard Mountain, it'll be even more fun!

Definitely check out FH3 guys, and don't let the whole "Open World sucks" thing prevent you from enjoying it. Believe me, FH3 is worth playing if you're looking for that arcade fix. Calling it sim-cade is stretching it IMHO, and this is coming from the biggest Sega/Namco 90's arcade racer whore on this forum!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IronicSonic....I agree with just about everything you said. Let me say this however: Sounds like you and a lot of other people in this thread slept on a game called GRID 2. If you have, I suggest.....no, scratch that....I *IMPLORE* you do check out GRID 2, like.....NOW!!!!!

When the game came out it was hated by a lot of Codemasters fans for not having a silly cockpit cam, and consequently proceeded to get bashed and raked over the coals by many people that would have otherwise mostly like purchased the game. Those of us that actually bought it and stuck with it however, discovered that underneath all the bullshit controversy, was arcade racer that pays a HUGE homage to the Sega and Namco racers of the 90's.

GRID 2's physics are so fucking good you will swear you're playing a mix between Daytona, Outrun 2 and Sega Rally Championship. CM managed to make the cars extremely drifty and you're actually encouraged powerslide around corners to get the best times. Driving the McClaren F1 in GRID 2 is literally like driving the one from Scud Race! The Ariel Atom feels exactly like the Rivelta Solare from Ridge Racer V. These cars extremely fun to drive!

Everyone's talking about Burnout, NFS, etc but I can guarantee you NONE of them hold a candle to the pure arcade fun of GRID 2. The game is 5 years old and there are *STILL* people playing it online on Steam! Buy GRID 2 guys. It has all the hallmarks of the classic racers from Sega and Namco, and has a KILLER career mode and a fairly healthy online community to boot!

Thanks. I'll buy on steam. I think my laptop probably can run a 5 years old game st least at 30fps

1)There *IS* another "90's Style Sega-ish" arcade racer many of you may not have been aware of, coming out on May 1st on Steam called Fast Beat Loop Racer: It actually looks VERY good and appears to be sort of a Wangan Midnight/Scud Racer-ish type of mix. I got my pre-order in already and I'm VERY excited!

2)I know a lot people here are like me and loathe the whole Open-World style racer that's sort of taken over, but allow me to admit that as much as I scoffed at the idea of embracing an open world racer like Forza Horizon 3, I actually LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME lol! I just got 100% in FH3 and currently going through Blizzard Mountain. I have to say, the Blizzard Mountain DLC has taken the fun to the next level. It is fucking BANANAS!! The cars' physics are somehow even MORE on the arcade side of things because of the snow terrain, and sliding around corners in cars like the Mini Cooper feels VERY Daytona USA-ish! I can't speak for Hot Wheels DLC but if it's anything like Blizzard Mountain, it'll be even more fun!

Definitely check out FH3 guys, and don't let the whole "Open World sucks" thing prevent you from enjoying it. Believe me, FH3 is worth playing if you're looking for that arcade fix. Calling it sim-cade is stretching it IMHO, and this is coming from the biggest Sega/Namco 90's arcade racer whore on this forum!

Noted as aswell. Thanks!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Hype!

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What happened to arcade anything?

"Content" is King, not the arcade ethos of accessibility x replayability.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Too bad we no longer got Motorstorm. Onrush is okay but it won't have splitscreen multiplayer.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
What I miss, and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction, are the arcade racers like Speed Up, that focus on lap by lap elimination.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece

That looks pretty cool, appropriately slick, like an Initial D type thing.

Bonus that it seems to be from a known publisher unlike that Wangan Warrior X thing which looked neat but the dev's last game got less than great response and it's been on release day hell a while and is currently gone from Steam...

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
Sold off most of my PS3-collection but still holding on to my copy of Blur :D.

Please play Trackmania 2 (on PC) or Trackmania Turbo (on consoles). These games deserve a bigger audience. Don't get scared by jumping into the insane user created maps online on your first try, play the singleplayer challenges first and learn.

Trackmania turbo also has excellent local splitscreen modes.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
"No true arcade racer"

What defines an arcade racer and why doesn't Horizon 3 or the Crew 2 possess those things?

Accessible/simplistic driving controls that are easy to learn but difficult to master?

The kind of racing game you'd find in an arcade is an arcade racer. Simple, responsive controls, along with gorgeous tracks that are often exotic.

Games like Ridge Racer, Hydro Thunder, and Sega Super GT.

So no open world racing games. I haven't seen anything exciting on these lists, and I love the genre. I hope Ridge Racer does indeed return to form, so we can get at least one great arcade racer this gen.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's really sad at the relative lack of them. And people who mention Forza Horizon and Driveclub are crazy. I think any game where you have to use an actual brake around turns is not an arcade game. Ebrake, yes. Drifting yes. But you should never have to slow down around turns.

Onrush looks great but is sadly not a racing game. The Crew 2 looks excellent, though. Really looking forward to that.
You're definitely going to have to brake around turns in the Crew 2. I suspects it's handling model won't be that far from the Forza Horizon games.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
You're definitely going to have to brake around turns in the Crew 2. I suspects it's handling model won't be that far from the Forza Horizon games.
Hmm now granted I didn't play a TON of The Crew, but I recall it being a lot closer to Need for Speed than Forza Horizon. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling arcade racers wouldn't be as dead if they were allowed to innovate more, but as Onrush shows us, try to make something new and you just get a wave of people complaining that it isn't the same old shit they've been playing for 30 years.

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Please tell me it will be released this year.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
i'm still pissed we never got criterion's f-zero. it's a perfect match for the greatest racer of all time. fuck this stupid industry, god fucking damn it.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just want you to know that Burnout 3 is my favourite arcade racer! (Ridge Racer Type 4 is close second, though)