• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Update: it seems that the creative director of the game spread misogyny and regressive views which resultaten in a media backlash and the gaming community turning on the project (which apparently used these views as a central part of the story) and him.

Please do your own due diligence before judging anybody or any project.

Their social media accounts are all gone or put on private. There is no new info about the game for a long time and it seems as if their owner is focused on other things.
Did the studio get shut down? is the project canceled? i loved the concept and idea and feel bummed that it just disappeared.

I remember this trailer from E3 2017

Last edited:

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
At this point I'm super skeptical of anyone who only knows this game from that one E3 reveal.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Drama (Dev being a shitbag) + Financial trouble, was rumoured Raw Fury pulled out I think.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one wants to touch it anymore (rightfully so) because the guy making it turned out to be a huge GamerGater and said he envisioned the world of his game as "a dystopian future where SJWs won" or some bullshit like that.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was plenty of shit said by one of the devs behind the project, but I hope the game still ends up being released. Its visual style and artistic choices are brilliant, and it's be a shame if it was all lost. I'd settle with the tech being repurposed for a completely different project, too.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
holy cow, i did not know that this all happened. i was just doing research for a new project i am working on was searching for this concept and got reminded that this game looked so good, i had no idea about the dev being such a person...talk about digging your own grave wow

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Thank you, but reading all this reactions about the guy, i will be skipping it if he is part of the project

I mean... he IS the project.
I am also very upset by what this guy said, but it looks like nobody gives anyone a second chance here.

Tim (the main developper) is not Notch, not a white nationalist and not a gamergater. He said pretty bad stuff and still sometimes is a bit annoying with his "I'm not right wing, but...", but he's not evil either, and from what he says on Twitter, I don't believe the game will be "in a future where SJWs won the war, everything is falling apart !".

I may be wrong, maybe it will be a terrible cyberpunk game with horrible conservative views, but right now it does not look like it will be that.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Like almost every other indie game, this will be in development for two years and then the release date will be announced two weeks before it comes out.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I imagine they're waiting to reintroduce it once the PR disaster of its debut has blown over. Though I think it's safe to say the damage has been done for many.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For everyone who wants it to come out just for the art style, I'm almost certain other indie games will come with a similar style that aren't made by a garbage human. Hell, Octopath Traveler literally just came out and it has the same vibe (albeit not cyberpunk).

Deleted member 33597

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not sure, but who wants to play a derivative, pixelart Blade Runner/HL rip-off with braindead, regressive politics? There wasn't a single original idea in the trailer.
A lot of people, judging by the positive reaction it gathered when originally revealed and even after news came out about the developer's political views (which may or may not have influenced the end product). The relevant NeoGAF threads were a hot mess because of the massive division. It feels like revisionist history to claim it didn't attract attention, despite its "derivative, pixelart" style of graphics and admittedly heavily Blade Runner borrowed setting and premise.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I am also very upset by what this guy said, but it looks like nobody gives anyone a second chance here.

Tim (the main developper) is not Notch, not a white nationalist and not a gamergater. He said pretty bad stuff and still sometimes is a bit annoying with his "I'm not right wing, but...", but he's not evil either, and from what he says on Twitter, I don't believe the game will be "in a future where SJWs won the war, everything is falling apart !".

I may be wrong, maybe it will be a terrible cyberpunk game with horrible conservative views, but right now it does not look like it will be that.

He's a naive idiot, that's based off everything I've read off his twitter. Nothing worse than someone who *thinks* they're an intellectual.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one wants to touch it anymore (rightfully so) because the guy making it turned out to be a huge GamerGater and said he envisioned the world of his game as "a dystopian future where SJWs won" or some bullshit like that.

I always new the fem-nazi's were going to make hover cars, neon lights and infuse Asian culture into Western nations!

It was always so obvious that feminists were responsible for the world of Blade Runner, everyone just likes to ignore all the foreshadowing and world building!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who wants it to come out just for the art style, I'm almost certain other indie games will come with a similar style that aren't made by a garbage human. Hell, Octopath Traveler literally just came out and it has the same vibe (albeit not cyberpunk).

Octopath Traveler looks like a super-early prototype compared to the 2017 trailer of this game. Not to mention the completely different setting and tone. This game's artists did an incredible job with what we've seen so far, and while I find the comments made by that dev absolutely disgusting, it'd be a huge shame to lose the whole talented team's work over it. I'd settle with the style repurposed for a different concept for a game (still cyberpunk, mind).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler looks like a super-early prototype compared to the 2017 trailer of this game. Not to mention the completely different setting and tone. This game's artists did an incredible job with what we've seen so far, and while I find the comments made by that dev absolutely disgusting, it'd be a huge shame to lose the whole talented team's work over it. I'd settle with the style repurposed for a different concept for a game (still cyberpunk, mind).

his whole team consists of him and his writer. the writer is an asshole too, but he's scrubbed all his tweets (very unsuspicious).

Oct 27, 2017

It was a future where feminism won, and men were second-class citizens as a result. So he can fuck off into the sea and the game could never release for all I care.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
his whole team consists of him and his writer.

This is factually wrong. From their website:
4zfeP6c.jpg

Again, it's a tech I'd like to come to fruition in a game like this. It doesn't have to be this game, but I sure hope it doesn't end up being too far visually from this. The artistic choices of the game are impressive and I'd hate them to be gone forever.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of indies take years to complete the game due to lack of manpower, so I bet it's in development hell currently.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people, judging by the positive reaction it gathered when originally revealed and even after news came out about the developer's political views (which may or may not have influenced the end product). The relevant NeoGAF threads were a hot mess because of the massive division. It feels like revisionist history to claim it didn't attract attention, despite its "derivative, pixelart" style of graphics and admittedly heavily Blade Runner borrowed setting and premise.

Just to reiterate: it was a game where in the future feminism 'won' and men were treated as second-class citizens. Created by a shitheel Gamergater.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
4zfeP6c.jpg

Again, it's a tech I'd like to come to fruition in a game like this. It doesn't have to be this game, but I sure hope it doesn't end up being too far visually from this. The artistic choices of the game are impressive and I'd hate them to be gone forever.

Wow they got Lorn to compose the music. Another shame.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Agreed. The 2D-3D style (Square's term, not mine) is so compelling. Reminds me of Octopath Traveller.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's still in development, as far as I know. November 2019 would be a really fun release date for a Blade Runner-esque game, but who knows when it will be ready.

Deleted member 33597

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Just to reiterate: it was a game where in the future feminism 'won' and men were treated as second-class citizens. Created by a shitheel Gamergater.
Yeah, that was my understanding as well, I just can't find any sources for it anymore because most of it was deleted and the posts were old as hell to begin with IIRC. I'm just saying I have no idea if he stuck with it since we don't have any story material from the game itself in the trailers or elsewhere.

If I had to speculate, I'd say he probably dropped it but knowing what a pseudo-intellectual he seems to be, it's likely elements of it still remain, lingering in the background, stinking up the place like rotten fish in the AC vent.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
4zfeP6c.jpg

I stand corrected - the best to hope for is that they abandoned that story idea completely and restarted from scratch. If they're thinking of the team, they won't try to go down sinking with the captain and his shitty ideals.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I am not sure, but it's been hovering by the top of my steam wishlist for ages.

Edit: this goddamn milkshake duck.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i know the dev still talks about this game on twitter almost daily so it's still being worked on. the thing is all he talks about is the art/graphics, i really want to know what this game plays like.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt we get news recently about them being in financial woes and people were assuming Microsoft had straight up dropped them?

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think it will release in like 5 or 6 years. Beautiful game with interesting gameplay, I'm willing to give it a chance.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

To speak to the bolded specifically, even if he supposedly renounced his affiliation with the movement in the 2017 Waypoint article, his previous membership among the group is not in question. He defended the campaign repeatedly, he used the hashtag on his own accord, he retweeted their misinformation, and more. He was, loud and proud, a GGer in 2014 and 2015. I'm not interested in making a smear post so I'm not going to link anything, but there is plenty of documentation of his enthusiastic participation.

In the 2017 Waypoint article, he also takes the position that GG was hijacked by extremists, which is absolutely not true. This is an extremely dangerous and legitimizing narrative that should not be perpetuated. This is an outright fabrication of scenario. It is a lie that is easily and demonstrably proven false. It was a movement founded on misogyny and harassment. This is the actual, literal inciting incident for the campaign. It began to destroy one woman and then became an identity movement against all women and minorities. It was always a harassment campaign. It was always an extremist campaign. This is well documented and proliferated by its own participants.

There was never at any time any physical organization, mission, or intention to address journalistic ethics. This revisionism that people try to pass around is a lie that should not be tolerated. "It's actually about ethics in games journalism" was not a legitimate or compelling excuse back then and "for me, I was only in it for the ethics in games journalism" is not a legitimate or compelling excuse now.

I think its a fair question to ask how some supposedly decent people got involved with a hate and harassment campaign that sought to eliminate the influence of women and minorities from video games. Somebody asked Tim Soret this question and his answer seemed honest but also super lame. I agree with you that he isn't a GGer today. But he sure used to be and his attempts to distance himself from that history have been weak. You can make of that what you will and your mileage may vary but Tim Soret said some vile things that contributed directly to a hate movement and "I only cared about some parts" and "I wasn't one of the bad ones" is hardly a compelling case for forgiveness.

I hope that he works out whatever his actual politics and beliefs are and I hope he fully accepts the seriousness of his older rhetoric. I wish him no ill will but I don't have any interest in his material either. Who knows what the most recent version of TLN is actually about. At one time he said it was an reactionary take-down about feminism and social services. Then he said it wasn't. Maybe his politics really did change. Maybe his game did too. But if I was a major publisher who was advertising this game, there'd be some assurances I was looking for. I don't get the impression Microsoft was confident in Soret's explanation. Neither are a lot of other people.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't agree or care for the drama around this game..
I just wanted more games like this. I am huge fan of games like OOTW, Flashback etc.

This showing had me so excited at E32017. Then, the drama started.