• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will we see first?

• Battletoads, baby!

Votes: 162 64.8%
  • Rip in peace’s smashburger

Votes: 88 35.2%

• Total voters

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After years of rumors and speculation and even more years of the franchise being dormant in general, barring cancellation we are finally getting a Battletoads game. But we've yet to see any real footage of it. It's supposed to come in 2019, but a delay would not be surprising.

On the flip side, in the Amazon and Digital era, GameStop is approaching hard times. Their days are pretty much numbered.

So what will happen first? Will we be able to buy Battletoads at GameStop? Will Battletoads even get a physical release(please!)??????

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Battletoads will reveal at E3 and release this fall.

GameStop will probably die after weak earnings call following these holidays.

Battletoads first.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I see Toads coming out in 2020 after a delay.

Part of me would be shocked to see Gamestop not file for bankruptcy by the end of the year.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I think Battletoads comes out first. GameStop will probably chug along for a few more years before throwing in the towel.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Battletoads.

And please no. GameStop is awesome. Never had an issue there, get games at 9pm EST the day before release and trade in deals are great when new consoles come out because you can basically get them for half price day one. So please no.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Gamestop still has another couple of years of bleeding left before its done. Battletoads will probably come out before then.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think GameStop will cling to life either as a brand or by being bought by another outlet entirely before eventually fading completely. Battletoads will definitely release first. GameStop still has like 4 horcruxes left.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
GameStop has anywhere from another three to five years in the tank, I'd say. Battletoads will likely be out before this time next year.

I will say though, I am genuinely (childishly) excited to call GameStop and ask if they have Battletoads in stock and finally have the answer be something other than "fuck off, this is the eighth time today dude!"

Last edited:

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I think Gamestop will die mid next generation after a slight windfall from the new consoles themselves. The trade-in mania and purchasing of used PS4 / XB1 games for new players using backwards compatibility might be just enough to hoist them up for a couple more years.

'Toads will never come out (nah it will come out)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone notice GameStop has increased their trade in values?

For example

2 months ago octopath traveler
Trade value 28$
Cash value 23$

Right now today
Trade value 30$
Cash value 30$
Pro member 33$ cash and trade

The biggest change is the cash value

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
can i use this opportunity to preemptively complain that battletoads is primarily a gimmick platformer series that just happens to have beat-em-up stages in its first levels, but no one realizes this because no one actually plays battletoads, and even the battletoads arcade game has a final boss that's an autoscroller run and gun because the entire point of battletoads is that it adamantly refuses to stick to anything

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Battletoads will probably be out by 2020, whereas GameStop could possibly hold out until 2021. So, I say Battletoads.
The real question is, will preordering Battletoads get you a free wrist strap?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I've been thinking about trading in a system or two parring back in preparation for next gen. But if they don't make it to next gen, then what happens to that trade in money? That's risky. What are the chances they don't actually make it until next year? (Not that anyone here actually knows; rhetorical question.)

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from a gamestop for MK11. It was very sad. Something about it, you could feel the brand dying from standing inside the store.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about trading in a system or two parring back in preparation for next gen. But if they don't make it to next gen, then what happens to that trade in money? That's risky. What are the chances they don't actually make it until next year? (Not that anyone here actually knows; rhetorical question.)
Do a cash trade, put the cash aside for future systems

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do a cash trade, put the cash aside for future systems

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battletoads is probably coming out this year after only being announced last year, so I see no reason to worry about it.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gamestop will die in 2021.

Because Blockbuster will rise from the ashes in 2020. Powered by Amazon.

So...
OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So. With news of Gamestop closing 300 stores and the uh, Coronavirus, this seems like an appropriate thread to revisit.

As of posting this, Battletoads is in a comfy lead. I'm kicking myself because this should have been an avatar bet a forum signature bet.

Has the tune changed?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GAME came back to life and that's basically Gamestop in everything but name. And GAME was in such a state it couldn't even afford stock of big titles like Mass Effect 3. It has also entered administration the previous year.

It still going.