• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might upset the crowd that thinks all Sony games are action adventure games, and want more RPGs from Sony, but i think Horizon will be better off as a Zelda inspired action adventure game like God of War. What do you all think?

I've been playing Horizon on NG+ for the first time since launch. It still looks great and plays even better on NG+. But after playing God of War, I can help but wish there was more to do than just kill dinobots. For the sequel I would like them to learn from God of War on how to:

Do Puzzles: I get it. Not every game needs puzzles. Horizon is going for more of an RPG feel than a Zelda style adventure. That said, they did add some puzzles in the DLC so it looks like they do get that they need some kind of break from the constant combat.

Story: Horizon starts off really well by focusing on Aloy and Rost's relationship and her attempts to join the tribes. The whole proving section was fantastic but then the game stops being about her and pretty much focuses on boring side characters and their quests until the very end when it finally goes back to focusing on Aloy again. God of War works because it kept the focus on Kratos and his son through out the campaign.

Setpieces: This is another thing they tried to add to the DLC but I really hope they expand upon this in the sequel. The moment to moment combat is great, but the way God of War mixes fantastic setpieces with story moments is something GG can learn from. Aloy is a fantastic character and I loved every single cutscene with her, but they need to put her in more perilous situations. Go full Uncharted if you have to.

Level Design: Most of the story missions towards the end of the game revolved around you entering a bunker and well doing absolutely nothing in it except for watching holograms for almost half an hour. God of War sends you in a lot of dungeons but makes you fight enemies, solve puzzles and find upgrades.

I think a lot of these will likely be fixed in the sequel. Horizon after all is the first game in the series and they likely had to make compromises and cut out a lot of stuff. But what I am trying to say is that Horizon will be a better God of War like game than a Mass Effect or Witcher like RPG that it's currently trying to be. To be honest i dont know why we need dialogue trees in this game. We barely make any choices in the game. there is very little role playing so why bother.

Fyurix

May 23, 2018
Germany
I don't know if it's just me, but while playing GoW it sometimes felt kind of "dry" gameplay-wise. Always the same puzzles, and aside of these few, excellent bosses, the fights weren't as refreshing as Horizons, where there are all kind of monsters with different strategies. Story-wise, I agree with you that Horizons had points where the story "fell-off", but GoW had those "lame" phases to, when it didn't felt like there was any exciting progress within the story. Just my opinion

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Fuck puzzles, don't put them in Horizon. There's a valve puzzle in the DLC and it was too much already.

edit: to be more constructive, I think they should work on quest design before anything else. Make them more flexible, with different outcomes depending on your choices and less handholding. There are quests that are solvable without ever using Aloy's super vision, it should be possible for all of them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah more full setpieces for those amazing c i n e m a t i c moments in the videogame press X to roll and O to dodge Alloy!!!

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Puzzles is an awful idea, the game doesn't need it at all. The other things I agree, but the focus should be characters and story. Starting with Aloy.
Yeah more full setpieces for those amazing c i n e m a t i c moments in the videogame press X to roll and O to dodge Alloy!!!
Did you play GOW?

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Story/characters, which are very weak overall

Aside from the main protagonist, i can't remember a character from Horizon.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I dunno, I still highly prefer Horizon than God of War.

Please let Horizon as it is, maybe improve the writing and/or characters and that's it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, they both do different things for different reasons. I loved Horizon so I'm happy with whatever Guerilla decide to do down the line.

It's not perfect but I think those flaws can be addressed without having to try and shoehorn in ideas from other titles.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank God nobody at Guerrilla will look at this thread.

What a terrible idea, Horizon > GoW too.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It's true that non-combat quests can be a needed break, but instead of puzzles, I'd rather they developed the RPG side of things and expanded the dialogue system. Puzzles every now and then are nice, of course.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I just started playing horizon and I have to say that it's way better than god of war. Not everything has to be linear and cinematic. You have way more freedom in Horizon, you can go almost anywhere. With God of War you're restricted with heavy invisible walls.

I love Horizon the way it is. From the amazing boss fights and gameplay to the beautiful landscapes. God of War should be learning from Horizon.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Story/characters, which are very weak overall

Aside from the main protagonist, i can't remember a character from Horizon.
Really? I thought Rost, Varl, Sona, and Avad were solid across the board.

As for the sequel, they definitely need to do something to mix things up outside of combat. The combat itself (against machines) is great but the open world itself felt empty and it felt wasted. I never felt like my exploration of the world was rewarded with anything significant. This is the issue I hope they address the most in the sequel. I also think it should try and be its own thing and not homogeneous with Sony's other first party games. I'd like to see then lean more into the RPG and dialogue systems as opposed to something like puzzles and set pieces.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Really? I thought Rost, Varl, Sona, and Avad were solid across the board.

As for the sequel, they definitely need to do something to mix things up outside of combat. The combat itself (against machines) is great but the open world itself felt empty and it felt wasted. I never felt like my exploration of the world was rewarded with anything significant. This is the issue I hope they address the most in the sequel.

I'm not saying that you or the others are wrong. It's just my opinion and perspective.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was amazing at giving you that feeling of being in a Jurassic park kind of thing , like animals had an ecosystem etc it's one of the best things about it's setting.

However I do agree abit more variety with its dungeons and some puzzles would be amazing . Just don't give me a "boy" to protect .

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Horizon is the superior game in basically every regard. GoW could actually learn from it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not every game has to be like another game. Both Horizon and God of War are among my Top 3 of this generation and I hope the developers follow their path and vision instead of "looking what other games do". Can't wait for Horizon 2 and God of War 2.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Both games were great in their own right but all in all I agree with most of the OP.

Horizon could have done with a more granular loot system, so allowing different sections of armour to be mixed and matched, and perhaps having weapon mods/ammo types that add even more sci-fi modifiers.

Other than that, the game was superb and I can't wait for a sequel.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Let's make all games like GoW.

Scratch that, let's stop making games and only make GoW.

And everybody should be required to have a Kratos tattoo on one buttcheek and Atreus on the other. Then stretch the asshole when we want to say "BOY!"

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Story: Horizon starts off really well by focusing on Aloy and Rost's relationship and her attempts to join the tribes. The whole proving section was fantastic but then the game stops being about her and pretty much focuses on boring side characters and their quests until the very end when it finally goes back to focusing on Aloy again. God of War works because it kept the focus on Kratos and his son through out the campaign.

This!!! I'm currently playing the original for the first after hearing how amazing the game is and the side quest are pretty bland and uninspiring.

The game starts out amazingly and now I'm just roaming the land practically doing dumb side quest that have no bearing on the overall story and that are pretty mundane.

After all the hype I've heard about this, I'm somewhat disappointed. It's a good game by not near the hype it generated. Inventory system is TERRIBLE!!! Just plain bad. And I hate that so far nothing is explained regarding some of the game systems. I can override some machines but not others which I understand but I have no clue as to why I can do this machine but not that machine. I'm assuming its because I'm only at measly level 13 but the game doesnt explain that.

I definitely think this is a game where the sequel can really improve the small nitpicking stuff like inventory management and side quest content.

I'm pretty earlier in the game, only level 13, haven't even been to the big city yet, I'm enjoying the game but the small stuff is annoying me.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No thanks. Let HZD be, y'know... HZD.

Story: Horizon starts off really well by focusing on Aloy and Rost's relationship and her attempts to join the tribes. The whole proving section was fantastic but then the game stops being about her and pretty much focuses on boring side characters and their quests until the very end when it finally goes back to focusing on Aloy again.

This however is true.

HZD and Aloy were great when the focus was on her and her motivations.

When she was just wandering around being a generic helpful hero doing generic helpful hero sidequests it was a whole lot less interesting.

Sadly, that's unlikely to change so long as the game remains open world. Open worlds almost inevitably lead to the sacrifice of pacing and focus on the alter of "content".

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing Horizon for the first time, and the main thing that stands out for me in a bad way in comparison are the cutscenes. A lot of the cutscenes have weird facial animations and you can catch glimpses of characters moving into position when the camera goes to them. That and sometimes the animations feel disjointed, as in you can almost clearly tell when one animation ends and another begins.

Otherwise, I'd rather they tone down the story but I don't think there's much to take from GoW, except maybe better melee combat.

OP
OP
AegonSnake

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both games were great in their own right but all in all I disagree with most of the OP.

Horizon could have done with a more granular loot system, so allowing different sections of armour to be mixed and matched, and perhaps having weapon mods/ammo types that add even more sci-fi modifiers.

Other than that, the game was superb and I can't wait for a sequel.
Yeah, this is something i wanted to mention in the OP but it was getting too long. Every good RPG has great perks and modifiers that encourage build experimentation. Horizon was pretty much all DPS on weapons or stealth/melee builds on armors.

Yup lets make Sony's first party games even more alike.. great idea!
nah, im suggesting they make them better. if you have any better ideas feel free to share them.

Fuck puzzles, don't put them in Horizon. There's a valve puzzle in the DLC and it was too much already.

edit: to be more constructive, I think they should work on quest design before anything else. Make them more flexible, with different outcomes depending on your choices and less handholding. There are quests that are solvable without ever using Aloy's super vision, it should be possible for all of them.
I think Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 are a great example of how to make an action RPG. There is no witcher 3 style quest system which focuses on using your super vision and gets old really fast. ME games have always been about building characters and making choices. i just dont know how it will fit in Horizon.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think the one thing Horizon could learn is that it doesn't have to be open world. I think that hurt it

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
I actually preferred Horizon over BOTW because it had a much better story. The gameplay got pretty repetitive in both games but the story kept me going in Horizon while I couldn't give less of a shit what happened to Princess Zelda with he weird British accent.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck no. If anything Horizon 2 should go full on rpg.

nogodpleaseno.gif

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While they could take many things from GOW, I feel like it would be better if they don't so that they would feel different. The best part about Sony is that their games are very different from one another unlike say Ubisoft open world titles which feel somewhat similiar (although to be fair Ubisoft is starting to change things).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The melee combat for sure. Not to say they should just copy GoW but that is the one area of Horizon that needs to be overhauled.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck puzzles.

Just gets melee combat against humans right and add sidequests with actual meaningful writing and we'll be on our way.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the open world added that much to Horizon. I loved the first couple of hours of the game and I was blown away by the presentation. After I found all of the Longnecks the game started to feel like every other open world game.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Hilarious how the one thing they NEED to fix isn't in your OP.

That Horizon melee combat has got to go.