• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Does Sony's expandable storage reach the same speeds?

If you want an expansion SSD to play PS5 games from, it needs to be at least a little bit faster than the internal SSD. So, yes, the one's the compatible ones will give the same performance, otherwise they won't be verified as compatible.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, they said it was a GDC presentation. That was how it was originally going to be presented in the first place, the same dry details in a similar location. They did in fact reveal some of the big core components of the console so I do not think they were misleading people by saying "big details", but everyone else was apparently expecting some footage of AAA titles to be shown.
In general i agree but they could have at least talked/showed their Ray-tracing solution...It feels like they just skipped over that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
yeah, I'm quite shocked of the amount of blantant trolling and shitposting here ever since yesterday.

I'm really excited to see some games here and especially 1FP games from both platform holders. While I myself won't get an XSX because I'm still not convinced by their studio acquisitions, I sincerely hope they churn out a good chunk of quality games because Xbox One Gamers deserve better than they're being treated right now (other than Ori... what else is there to play on XOX exclusively? Right, nothing, sadly).
Complains about trolling and shiposting and then continues to troll and shitpost...

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Not sure multiplat games will be able to take advantage of that, yeah. I think the advantages of the SSD speed will be most apparent in PS5 exclusive open-world games. I think developers are still trying to figure out what they can do there, but I think it can fundamentally change the way they design those kinds of games.

My question is: is there a point of diminishing returns (re: ssd speed). Xb is half the speed in raw and compressed... but, can you actually use the full 8gb/s enough that it makes a diff over 4Gbs. Sony needs to prove that to me, and I think the fact MS has enough of a speed bar, we will see most of the gain Cerny talked about regardless in crossplatform titles.

OP
OP
jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey would you look at that:

twitter.com

Andrea Pessino on Twitter

“Dollar bet: within a year from its launch gamers will fully appreciate that the PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed, and will feel silly for having spent energy arguing about "teraflops" and other similarly misunderstood specs. 😘”

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Complains about trolling and shiposting and then continues to troll and shitpost...
enlighten me where I trolled or shitposted. I'm waiting. Just to make it clear to you: Ori is a fantastic game. But only one doesn't cut it when compared to Nintendo or Sony which both are putting out more exclusive games throughout the year. Nothing is trolling or shitposting about the simple truth.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Glad I missed that discourse.

PS5 is way, way more exciting than Sony is leading people believe and that's a shame. This will probably be corrected once more developers have freedom to speak about it and show what they've been working on but until then it's going to be weird seeing people parade around as though one console is much more powerful than the other when in fact the difference is smaller than between the two consoles that have been on the market since 2013.

Even on the face of it, 15 percent more power should hardly be described as significant. There is less difference between the X and the PS5 than there was between the One and the PS4. Hardly earth shattering. Sony should have waited to showcase titles that take advantage of its unique features, but it will not matter that.much if they nail their design, OS, games and price reveal, whenever that happens.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I think the best thing to take away from all of this, is that they're both very good, very fast machines; absolutely huge improvements over last gen systems and without immediate clear design flaws.

I remember when last gen systems were announced with Jaguar CPU's I felt an immediate disappointment. A few weeks before Epic had also stated that they wanted GPU's to be at the > 2.4(?) TF level, and both consoles were announced at <2 TF.

This time we get fast SSD's, >10 TF GPU's and very good CPU's. I can't wait for first all party dev's and Rockstar to take advantage of all of this. We're in for a great gen.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
User warned: Hostility towards other members

twitter.com

“Dollar bet: within a year from its launch gamers will fully appreciate that the PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed, and will feel silly for having spent energy arguing about "teraflops" and other similarly misunderstood specs. 😘”

Dude, you're kind of petty. But you do you. Get those dunks in.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This part has me confused.

The difference between 1x, and pro for most games

1440P/1800P vs 4k
Higher resolution textures
More stable framerate(not 30vs60)

For that difference we needed
50% more ram
35% more bandwith
10% faster cpu
45% faster gpu
4 extra CU

How are we going to get a repeate of the 1x/pro with

Same amount of ram
20% more bandwidth
8% faster cpu
15-20% faster gpu
16 extra CU

Will the extra 12 CU make that big of a difference?

Can someone like dictator chime in?
Not to mention the natural diminishing returns.

It will be funny if multiplats are released and the only difference between them is a higher texture buffer or a bigger draw distance, especially because some developers will opt for parity in terms of graphical fidelity AND load times.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it be fair I think it's more like this:

specsfixed.gif

This is like the Fox News or Drudge Report of diagrams. I love how the PS5's GPU and CPU Shrink to like a quarter of the XSX's, when Cerny is talking about 2% downclocks at power load spikes, which would still keep it in the ~10tflop range (20% difference to XSX).

Even then, I don't think people have grasped that the 10.28 tflop figure implies the PS5 can run at max capped clocks on both the CPU and GPU at the same time. If it couldn't, the Tflop figure would presumably be lower.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has bought both consoles since PS2/Xbox, I'm just psyched that both Microsoft and Sony absolutely have their shit together with these machines. It's such an exciting time.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
So, for starters, I was talking to an engineer this morning who told me that the way they think of resolutions these days isn't as linear as it used to be -- rather than, say, 1080p vs 720p, you're looking at percentage of frames that hit certain resolution percentages ("75% of frames at 90% resolution at 4k/60fps"). Which will make the discourse even more confusing and insufferable.

Other people have made comparisons to Apple/Android in terms of efficiencies.

The way in which I've been told to think about it is: even if one GPU is capable of better performance than the other, there are a lot of barriers en route to actually maxing out that performance, and it remains to be seen how many developers will be able to overcome those barriers, what they'll look like in practice, and so on.
The resolution not being linear has already been happening. Sony's solution with the PS4Pro was checkerboard rendering but seems like most ended up doing different resolution scaling. It is also used on the Switch.

Apple/Android efficiencies are not comparable since the Series X is still a box with set hardware.

Also the more a developer takes advantages of aspects specific to one platform/box the more work it would take to port. It may also cause other issues. I believe this is why we're in a situation where original Xbox, 360 games, and now even Xbox One games are able to run in higher resolutions, frame rates, etc. without developer patches on newer Xbox hardware. Sony's method seems to limit the benefits of boost mode or backward compatibility in general.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

twitter.com

Wow that's some heavy words.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

twitter.com

That's all fine and dandy, but will it have Knack 3?

ez123

Feb 18, 2020

twitter.com

But that's way less of a statement of fact than what you said in the transcript. That's not even comparing it to the XSX, really.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Starting to feel a little.... strange what you're doing, Idk. Like vindictive almost?

Why not just let each console shine? Why spend all this time and energy just to make sure people know the ps5 is more powerful.

Each will have their own strengths and secret sauces and gamers will enjoy both!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
enlighten me where I trolled or shitposted. I'm waiting. Just to make it clear to you: Ori is a fantastic game. But only one doesn't cut it when compared to Nintendo or Sony which both are putting out more exclusive games throughout the year. Nothing is trolling or shitposting about the simple truth.
Sure, I'll quote your trolling and shitposting again.
I'm really excited to see some games here and especially 1FP games from both platform holders. While I myself won't get an XSX because I'm still not convinced by their studio acquisitions, I sincerely hope they churn out a good chunk of quality games because Xbox One Gamers deserve better than they're being treated right now (other than Ori... what else is there to play on XOX exclusively? Right, nothing, sadly).

Claiming that Ori is the only exclusive Xbox has is straight up trolling /shitposting.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just wondering if there is no space on sony ssd, if the super fast speeds will be effected if, there's no room

oh! in that case, my guess is no - I'd assume that they'll have some portion of it that's reserved for whatever hardware needs they might have. no matter how much you install, they'll probably not allow you to touch however much space they need in order to ensure performance.

I think anything that sounds like "Balance" or "Secret Sauce" will always be met with derision, no matter what certain developers are saying.

that's not inherently unfair to do. however, when it comes to hardware, the truth is that there is a lot of shit that can be done, in ways that average consumers don't even think about. (for full disclosure here, while I'm not a professional, I'm about to graduate with a degree in computer engineering, and have a fair bit of experience with low-level programming and architecture.) while I'm not going to assume that the ps5 is going to miraculously be more powerful, I think it's at least prudent to wait for concrete examples so we can evaluate if they're living up to what they've said.

OP
OP
jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to feel a little.... strange what you're doing, Idk. Like vindictive almost?

Why not just let each console shine? Why spend all this time and energy just to make sure people know the ps5 is more powerful.

Each will have their own strengths and secret sauces and gamers will enjoy both!
You're misunderstanding. What I'm trying to explain is that despite Sony's marketing flub, and despite the direct spec sheet comparisons, the sentiment from game developers is all about how exciting this thing is. So as console warrior after console warrior fights over teraflops, my advice is to listen to the people who have actually been using the machine.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Since when does a game journalist (one of the best there is) tell you which console is the best? Wtf is wrong with you people..? It's not like he has tried any of them, he does not program games for them.

He is just airing his own thoughts, based on what he has heard from devs etc. He isn't more qualified than most of the posters on this site.

You all need to calm down and play the waiting game, like Sony and MS are doing right now..

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
They flat out said the stream was a replacement of an event scheduled for GDC, i don't know why people are so shocked when they set themselves up for disappointment. It really comes off as a huge overreaction because people don't want to admit they were expecting more then just dry details. Like, I can't see why anyone would be so upset about this and claim "Sony dropped the ball on marketing". What?? That stream wasn't directed at a mainstream audience since it was a GDC event. Could the social media posts been a little more specific? Yes, but jesus christ people.

The fact that is people outside Sony clariying the situation and saving their face explains clearly how lacking they are in their marketing and communication strategy. There has been an online fire since yesterday and Sony has not even noticed or moved a finger to put it out.

With social media and the internet, EVERY communication is marketing. No matter whom they are addressing, everybody will be listening and they should have predicted that. Either they don't know this or don't care. In both cases its the brand being hurt and a marketing failure. Companies in the entertainment industry cannot make a single statement, tweet or public act without thinking of their audience, first.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

twitter.com

Yeah but how many puddles it could handle in Spider-Man 2

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Claiming that Ori is the only exclusive Xbox has is straight up trolling /shitposting.
Which other 1FP games are coming out for Xbox One exclusively that are as high profile as Nintendo/Sony releases in upcoming months until XSX releases? Actually curious. Maybe I actually missed some. I'll be gladly proven wrong otherwise.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're misunderstanding. What I'm trying to explain is that despite Sony's marketing flub, and despite the direct spec sheet comparisons, the sentiment from game developers is all about how exciting this thing is. So as console warrior after console warrior fights over teraflops, my advice is to listen to the people who have actually been using the machine.
I really don't envy you... Even explaining to people trying there best to not understand what is being said....

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019

twitter.com

Sony is cleary founding a new The Order, that's why RAD CTO is praising PS5. /s

ps: would like a new The Order

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Since when does a game journalist (one of the best there is) tell you which console is the best? Wtf is wrong with you people..? It's not like he has tried any of them, he does not program games for them.

He is just airing his own thoughts, based on what he has heard from devs etc. He isn't more qualified than most of the posters on this site.

You all need to calm down and play the waiting game, like Sony and MS are doing right now..

Back in October of '18 the forum had a great concentration of coherent members.

What a time.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Got ya.
So it's more that the usual idiots on forums are being dramatic and you just want people to know both of these machines are incredible.

lets be honest Jason we all just want destiny 2 load times to disappear and to open my character and have things actually load!!!!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Which other 1FP games are coming out for Xbox One exclusively until XSX releases? Actually curious. Maybe I actually missed some. I'll be gladly proven wrong otherwise.
And now moving goalposts lmao. Embarrasing. Don't complain about tolling when you yourself are trolling, it's not a good look.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
think of it like... a mustang vs. a civic. does one have more power than the other? yes.

if you're on a road that's full of potholes, however, do you ever see that increase in power? probably not. you can only go as fast as the road lets you go safely, unless you're a really good driver.

a big part of sony's argument is that their custom hardware is going to take a lot of those potholes out - this was one of the big motivators behind their very long (and very interesting!) explanation of how their SSD setup works. they've spent a lot of time optimizing data movement speeds, managing decompression, improving data eviction policies, and so on. the theory behind it is that, while you have a lower theoretical top-end, the smooth operation of the hardware means you'll be able to go at a constantly fast speed. by comparison, if the series x is missing some of these features, there might be some games that truly just are faster (the aforementioned "really good drivers"), but it's possible that some games might even run worse. we don't actually know.

there's also some other interesting things of note. for one thing, graphics aren't just a matter of flops. one of the big drivers of pop-in, for example, is memory/hard drive read speed - if you can't replace your models with higher-quality textures at an adequate rate, the player starts to get too close to the low-quality textures (or the non-loaded objects, in extreme cases) and the game looks bad. how much does the significantly faster SSD lead to better graphics by improving texture load times? we have no idea. similarly, the ps5 has an entire audio processing unit that the xbox doesn't. how much workload does this take off of the cpu/gpu? does this lead to better performance? we have no idea - this would largely depend on how much time/effort developers are putting into audio for modern games. (for me personally, I'm incredibly intrigued by the audio fidelity sony was talking about, and genuinely do think it could be the true "leap" of this generation if it pans out)

the point is that, until we get actual games running cross-platform that we can compare directly, we don't know how the hardware truly compares. developers have been saying for a long time that numbers on a box with frequencies and teraflops aren't all that matters for hardware performance. solely comparing cpu/gpu theoretical top ends is like, the tim allen version of thinking about hardware - it's mostly just grunting and shouting about "more power". we'll see soon enough what things look like for sure.

These are computers though.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
And now moving goalposts lmao. Embarrasing. Don't complain about tolling when you yourself are trolling, it's not a good look.
evading questions is not a good look on yourself. I'm not starting a list war here, I'm actually being curious. But alas. It's seemingly not worth to continue discussing with you when you can't have a normal discussion yourself.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's so embarrassing, honestly. And to think this is supposed to be one of the more mature communities on the web.

I think that's how we like to think of ourselves, but in reality, I see more intelligent and well thought-out takes regularly on Reddit nowadays, and that's a sequence of words I never thought I'd use.

Status
Not open for further replies.