• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
User Banned (permanent): Hostility; Accusations of shilling. Account in junior phase.
jfc

what is he supposed to do? Balance out every positive thing someone says about PS with a positive Xbox comment?
Did I mention Xbox?
If Sony did a poor job selling the specs, it's not his job to devote himself to change that narrative. It's not his job to sell the system by telling everyone how great it is, and throwing in how some devs think it's better than the XSX.
That is the literal definition of shilling.
As an independent journo who values a reputation of fair reporting, this was a balls up.
He gave every Xbox fanboys the ammunition they needed to promote how he is a shill in their eyes.
I would gather from his reaction that that's not how he wants to be perceived.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
From my perspective you came across as carrying water for Sony on this. It isn't a independent journalists job to actively promote the PS5 because Sony did a poor job of it.
It's unfortunate to say but it's tainted my view of if you hold any bias or not.
Not that my opinion matters in any way.
This says far more about you than it does about Jason, just fyi

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
It's happened a lot for, I fail to see why now of all times we should acknowledge the incessant, obnoxious trolls and console warriors.
It was always time to do that. People have been fighting bad information for a very long time. It didn't just happen right now. Jason, in fact, constantly warns against bad articles written by low grade sites based on his random tweets. Jason has been fighting this for a long time.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some people are upset at how Sony failed to properly highlight the advantages the PS5 has despite knowing the presentation was made for developers. The blog did a horrible job of beating people over the head with that information.

Huh, didn't know there were 11 million developers in the world.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Huh, didn't know there were 11 million developers in the world.

I guess I didn't make my point clear. The presentation was made for developers and Sony wasn't clear enough in their messaging to the average consumer with that info. So now we have the 10.3tf vs. 12.1tf narrative going around because that's the clearest take away most people would understand.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Who told you the BoM? I'm sure people know the price of all that proprietary Sony hardware lol...
We've had multiple threads about them. Bloomberg and Zhuge have talked about the BoMs of the consoles.
www.bloomberg.com

Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.’s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit, forcing a difficult price-setting decision in its battle with Microsoft Corp., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Oct 27, 2017

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
You all make fair points. I just don't think at a time like this the push should be "hey this console is actually so much cooler than you think" but rather "hey both consoles will be fucking awesome". Just seems selective in direction.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Are people serious with this "Jason is a Sony Shill" crap after he just wrote about the terrible work crunch at Sony's golden goose--Naughty Dog?

Oct 27, 2017
You all make fair points. I just don't think at a time like this the push should be "hey this console is actually so much cooler than you think" but rather "hey both consoles will be fucking awesome". Just seems selective in direction.

Maybe because Microsoft didn't show off their new console so poorly? Everyone already knows that the Xbox looks great. Jason's story is not that "the PS5 is so awesome stop saying it's bad" but rather a commentary on how poorly they are marketing it.

with all due respect, but why would a journalist get frustrated if a company fails to promote its product?

Seems like he is more frustrated at being taken out of context but ok

Oct 25, 2017
As a journalist, I'd imagine Jason has an interest in the truth and people understanding the truth. He has correctly perceived that Sony's presentation was not ideal for a general audience. He is now trying to correct some misunderstandings as best he can using his resources as a journalist. It's not shilling, it's communicating facts he thinks are important, interesting, and relevant.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
But...he does? He says both the PS5 is more interesting than Sony has let on AND that both machines are awesome.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
You know games have been ported to hardware significantly less capable than whatever you think the PS5 SSD is going to enable them to make over the Series X and PC right? And most JRPGs will never come close to using the full PS5 toolset at the expensive not being able to port else where.
The problem I am afraid of is that unlike graphics, you cannot change world building when porting games. Hence, if games utilities PS5's SSD in world building, it can be hard/impossible to port them.

Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Platform warring, accusations of shilling; multiple prior bans for similar behavior
Are people serious with this "Jason is a Sony Shill" crap after he just wrote about the terrible work crunch at Sony's golden goose--Naughty Dog?
Not calling Jason a shill but him writing about NDs work culture doesn't make him not a shill. It makes him a Journalist. I'm honestly confused why he decided on doing Sony PR work for them, before and after the reveal fighting against the cpu,gpu, ram etc. I'm sure if the SSD is this magic sauce that is the biggest change in 20 years Sony/devs will show that.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The problem I am afraid of is that unlike graphics, you cannot change world building when porting games. Hence, if games utilities PS5's SSD in world building, it can be hard/impossible to port them.

You're assuming that there is literally no way to adapt how you build a game to a slower streaming solution. Again, do you think that suddenly no games will ever be able to be ported to slower SSDs because now Sony has a fast solution? You're not comparing the PS5 to a PS4. You're comparing it to the Series X which still has an SSD way faster than anything last gen and PCs which will eventually have commercial drives better than what's in the PS5 too.

Where is this fear coming from? Cause Cerny said some things? Think about this from a practical perspective. An SSD doesn't suddenly change the entire landscape of porting to different hardware.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Do you honestly believe this? I mean do you seriously think that Jason Schreier is a Sony "shill"? What could possibly be his motivation for this supposed behavior?

Why does it matter to you what a console warrior thinks?
I don't know his motives, but it can absolutely be perceived that way. And to people perception is reality.
The way he reacted to the PS5 specs reveal came across as something personal to him, like he was invested in how the PS5 was perceived, and he wanted to right the narrative.

Like I said, it's my opinion and it counts for nothing at the end of the day.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's wild how console wars makes be say stupid shit and be irrational. Jason is a shill because he gave his opinion on a product (one he has was more intimate knowledge about from people actually using the fucking thing) and messaging of said product in the industry he works in for a major reveal?

This shit is unbelievable. Clown shoes.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what's been said, I really don't think third-party JRPGs that start as PS5 exclusives are really a thing to be concerned about? Especially with PC ports being more common currently, and things coming out on PS4+Switch as is. I'd just think that maybe you wouldn't be seeing big first party open world games like Horizon or Death Stranding getting PC ports, since those would be the ones that would be really trying to take full advantage of what's being offered. But even then, maybe.

Those JRPGs are going to be on the PS5, regardless. I doubt XSX is going to break their trend on Japanese sales, so of the two of them... it's PS5 or staying on PS4, really.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Not calling Jason a shill but him writing about NDs work culture doesn't make him not a shill. It makes him a Journalist. I'm honestly confused why he decided on doing Sony PR work for them, before and after the reveal fighting against the cpu,gpu, ram etc. I'm sure if the SSD is this magic sauce that is the biggest change in 20 years Sony/devs will show that.

He is not doing Sony PR work for them.
He did a podcast with the info he got and also talking about Sony marketing .
Someone then made thread about what he said with out proper context and he came and made this one telling people what he did say on the podcast .

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know his motives, but it can absolutely be perceived that way. And to people perception is reality.
The way he reacted to the PS5 specs reveal came across as something personal to him, like he was invested in how the PS5 was perceived, and he wanted to right the narrative.

Like I said, it's my opinion and it counts for nothing at the end of the day.

People say the same about anyone talking good stuff about XSX?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of when Matt was a secret agent trying to take out xbox.

Why is an unbiased journalist going above and beyond to evangelize the PlayStation product? jschreier this is a cognitive blind spot my guy.

You.

I'm not going to lie, that's all I could think when reading the OP and transcript lol.

And you.

Thread not to your liking? You liked the old one better? No need to beat around the bush.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
As a journalist, I'd imagine Jason has an interest in the truth and people understanding the truth. He has correctly perceived that Sony's presentation was not ideal for a general audience. He is now trying to correct some misunderstandings as best he can using his resources as a journalist. It's not shilling, it's communicating facts he thinks are important, interesting, and relevant.
"But if he's spending more time on the other piece of plastic/corporation instead of my favorite one, then Jason is clearly shilling and doing the PR work for them instead."
Lots of people showing their embarrassing asses today in threads like these. And this was supposed to be the clean, clarification thread and look how quick they turn on him for not giving their favorite piece of plastic/corporation equal time within the same breath. But not the least surprising, knowing these cycles always repeat themselves.

Nov 11, 2017
He is not doing Sony PR work for them.
He did a podcast with the info he got and also talking about Sony marketing .
Someone then made thread about what he said with out proper context and he came and made this one telling people what he did say on the podcast .
Absolutely ok with him correcting what he said, I'm just confused why he said what he said in the first place.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you be more constructive and point out the numbers that are wrong here?

Why would anyone bother when you have never cared about the truth?

You can't calculate it like that

44% more intersection engines and 20% slower doesn't mean necessarily that the difference in performance is equal to 16%, and like you said it is identical to TF

It probably depends on the implementation and the game, for some games more engines will provide bigger difference than speed, for others it will be much closer

TFs are the same, some games don't scale up too much with higher frequencies but take more advantage of higher CUs count, other games scale up more with frequency. you can see that in any test for an overclocked gpu compared to its original clock speed

the difference in performance from one game to the other is never the same.

That's not how it works at all.

In what way is an SSD like the Cell?

Frost1800 doesn't understand how either works.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
You're assuming that there is literally no way to adapt how you build a game to a slower streaming solution. Again, do you think that suddenly no games will ever be able to be ported to slower SSDs because now Sony has a fast solution? You're not comparing the PS5 to a PS4. You're comparing it to the Series X which still has an SSD way faster than anything last gen and PCs which will eventually have commercial drives better than what's in the PS5 too.

Where is this fear coming from? Cause Cerny said some things? Think about this from a practical perspective. An SSD doesn't suddenly change the entire landscape of porting to different hardware.
Well, Cerny did a good job and demonstrated in detail how the SSD can change the world building.
He actually coveys the message of why Sony pursues the path of a much faster SSD rather than better GPU. It is not only for faster loading times. He gave a very good example that shows how PS5's SSD can allow devs to build worlds with bigger line of sight. If a games utilities this feature, it can actually lead to it impossible to port to other platforms. I mean people don't put some additional mountains, buildings, and walls into the map when porting things afther all.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
He gave a very good example that shows how PS5's SSD can allow devs to build worlds with bigger line of sight. If a games utilities this feature, it can actually lead to it impossible to port to other platforms.

2 questions before I stop entertaining this.

1) What platforms can't it be ported to?

2) Who says it's impossible to port?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild how console wars makes be say stupid shit and be irrational. Jason is a shill because he gave his opinion on a product (one he has was more intimate knowledge about from people actually using the fucking thing) and messaging of said product in the industry he works in for a major reveal?

This shit is unbelievable. Clown shoes.
And it's like the more that phrase gets pointed out, the more some folks double down.

Mind boggling.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
2 questions before I stop entertaining this.

1) What platforms can't it be ported to?

2) Who says it's impossible to port?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I suppose they'd be impossible to port to other consoles mostly because only first party devs will make full use of it anyhow.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
The PS5 is 100% superior in one area and possibly better in 2 other areas.

1. SSD speed (Fact)
2. Memory (Possibly. It's not split into two pools like XSX)
3. 3D Sound (Possibly. Won't know until there is more information on XSX implementation, and real comparisons)

In my opinion the blazing fast SSD in the PS5 will only truly be utilized by first party, which is still great.

Saying that either machine has overall superior features is a bit pre-mature imo. In the end, I highly doubt the differences between the two machines will be very noticeable, and I don't believe that we will have an Xbox One/PS4 resolution divide like this gen.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
1. PC, Switch, and Xbox
2. It's my thoughts after watch the broadcast.

1) The Switch is never going to get games designed for next gen so I'd just scratch that out now. The Xbox and PC will be fine.
2) This isn't the take away you should have gotten.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I suppose they'd be impossible to port to other consoles mostly because only first party devs will make full use of it anyhow.

I suppose if that was the angle sure but this dude is talking about JRPGs lol.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
1) The Switch is never going to get games designed for next gen so I'd just scratch that out now. The Xbox and PC will be fine.
2) This isn't the take away you should have gotten.

I suppose if that was the angle sure but this dude is talking about JRPGs lol.

I will remain skeptical based on the presentation, but I certainly hope porting really would be without any issue like you described, though I am not certain how.

I mean since Mark keeps stressing how PS5 changes the game design fundamentally like no others can, it is no wonder I become skeptical about getting ports of games designed for PS5.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I will remain skeptical based on the presentation, but I certainly hope porting really would be without any issue like you described, though I am not certain how.

I mean since Mark keeps stressing how PS5 changes the game design fundamentally like no others can, it is no wonder I become skeptical about getting ports of games designed for PS5.

Sony's games will do it but thats about it. It can change design fundamentally, if you can afford to ignore other platforms.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox is more powerful.
But PS5 is not a disaster.
Games will be solid across both.
People need to chill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.