• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Trolling.
Welcome to a small thought experiment. The overall point is to challenge current industry standards and examine why things are how they are.

In this scenario, the creators of The Last of Us have decided to make Ellie straight (or bisexual).

How would it play out? What kind of character would she be paired up with? What do you think the reaction would be? Why is she currently not straight or bi?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't change a single thing since you only learn she's gay in the Left Behind DLC.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
If Ellie were straight she probably wouldn't have been bitten and everything else in TLoU wouldn't have happened like it did.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nothing would change except for her love interest, really. I mean she was straight in everyone's eyes until she was revealed she wasn't. It didn't change anything before and after, except for raging nerds who wanted her to make out with Joel or something because Rule 34 or some shit.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how making Ellie straight would challenge current industry standards. And I don't really see what the big deal is.

reminio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln, UK
If people were smart, they wouldn't care what sexual preference she has. Interestingly she seemed to show some affection for Sam...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'd be okay with it, but only if there's a proper justification. Otherwise having a straight character would feel to forced.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with it, but only if there's a proper justification. Otherwise having a straight character would feel to forced.

giphy.gif

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from her not being in love with Riley, nothing would be different. She'd still get bit and Riley would die, there just wouldn't be any kisses.

I can't imagine her sexuality affecting the core story. *wink wink*

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I must be misunderstanding you because there's nothing "industry challenging" about a straight character.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It wouldn't change anything, same with Kratos. Sexual preference isn't integral to the arc of either character.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"challenege industry standards"

the fuck are you talkin about my guy

Probably the perception that games never make you play as a heterosexual woman, it's either a gay woman or a functionally asexual woman. Not sure if Naughty Dog is the right target though sense their last game had a heterosexual female protagonist.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I hate to make assumptions, but OP could've picked any game at random and it would've been the other way around 99.99% of the time. Yet OP specifically took this game to "challenge industry standards"?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would keep her character the exact same, except we wouldn't have anti LGBT and prudes freaking out over girls kissing live on stream.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
Who cares? It wouldn't change anything. She is an extremely shallow character with no development or depth to her. She is simply a means and accessory to other's development at the cost of her own.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably the perception that games never make you play as a heterosexual woman, it's either a gay woman or a functionally asexual woman. Not sure if Naughty Dog is the right target though sense their last game had a heterosexual female protagonist.

Oh ya that too.

Shit I wanna first person sex scene in Cyberpunk
I wanna see a big strong man on top of me... I mean my character

Can you imagine the meltdowns folks would have?

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018

If the Left Behind DLC had Riley as a boy instead of a girl it would have felt forced? =/

To clarify I'm homosexual. I appreciate Naughty Dog including several queer characters in TLOU (Ellie, Riley, Bill) but if Ellie was straight I don't think it would have changed anything. I assumed she was straight during the entire main campaign.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I must be misunderstanding you because there's nothing "industry challenging" about a straight character.
I mean it is surprisingly rare to have a straight women protag that actually has a love interest which isn't you know, a player created character, but I don't see how it would be better to change an already set Lesbian protag when there are so few of them in the industry as well. Basically we need more woman protags of various sexualities - as well as a gay man protag, which I can't think of any which aren't also player created like in BioWare games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Then TLOU2 would be 100% less marxist and all would be right in the world, because lesbians are marxism and marxism is the root of all evil, brb I'll get a link to this YT video that says so. Meanwhile, please refer to Karl Marx's iconic quote on video games:
xjA3pQY.jpg

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
She would have a boyfriend in the latest trailer and we would have less concern trolls. The end.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Aside from her not being in love with Riley, nothing would be different. She'd still get bit and Riley would die, there just wouldn't be any kisses.

I can't imagine her sexuality affecting the core story. *wink wink*
Riley crossed a city full of soldiers to make up with Ellie. Not sure if she would have returned (or or even left) if they were just friends to eachtother.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Nothing would change? Changing the sexuality wouldn't fundamentaly change the character.

Riley would be a boy or there wouldn't be any kiss, Ellie would still get bit, she'd be doing stuff with dudes in TLOU2. Sexuality ain't a personality-defining character trait, it's just who you like, nothing more but also nothing less.

Everything would be the same but media/fans wouldn't talk about Ellie's sexuality as much since having a straight character doesn't challenge current standards. In the case where Riley was still a girl in Left Behind, we would have discussed how things would've been if Ellie was gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.