• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to a small thought experiment. The overall point is to challenge current industry standards and examine why things are how they are.

In this scenario, the creators of God of War have decided to make Kratos gay (or bisexual).

How would it play out? What kind of character would he be paired up with? What do you think the reaction would be? Why is he currently not gay or bi?

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...and?

i guess gamers will be quick to point out he had a wife and family in the first game but aside from the obvious i really dont see much difference to really think about

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which Kratos?

If we're talking the Greek one, there would probably be some really explicit scenes judging from how they treated him with women.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I mean he would have to be Bi for Atreus to exist. Would be hard to weave a story around Kratos's gay lover at least in the current story framework and scenario they were in for the most recent game. Interesting thought experiment though. Would definitely take a scenario rewrite.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Would Kratos be a bear? I'm not sure about the line when it comes to things like this.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I said this before, but they should make a remake of Metroid and make samus black or trans or in a wheelchair something like that. And you would only discover that at the end of the game. No marketing nothing. Just to bring again the "holy shit she really is not a robot" feel from the first one.

But yeah Kratos kinda needs to be bisexual so that the latest God of War to happen .... but then again it could have happened like Kratos was BFF with the kid's mom and he now heard that she is dead and as the cool gay uncle, he must help the boy in his quest to spread his mom's ashes on a mountain in a super mystical ritual that is so vegan.

And would ALMOST explain why Loki is kinda super bisexual to the point of being a mom and a father to some people in the mythology. Learned to be flexible and without prejudices from uncle Gaytos

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Are you saying imagine a scenario in like an alternate universe where he was gay from the start? Or are you saying he's gay going forward in future titles? Or that they just say he was always gay? I'm confused.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I think most players would not be happy about the change. The overwhelming majority of GoW players are heterosexual males who want to play as heterosexual males. This is true of most games, not just GoW.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't make much difference in the original series other than Kratos having a child he murdered along with his wife, but it would make the reactions towards the sex mini-games a lot more interesting.

In the current series it wouldn't make much of a difference at all, other than needing to make some alteration to his companion I suppose, unless you went with the bi angle then it really wouldn't make any difference.

OP
OP
Pekola

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Bratty Bottom Kratos. You know it'd be true.

It's called Power Bottom, hunty.

Are you saying imagine a scenario in like an alternate universe where he was gay from the start? Or are you saying he's gay going forward in future titles? Or that they just say he was always gay? I'm confused.

Any is fine. Since it's just a what if scenario. Though, for some he'd have to be bi or pan, since he's been shown to be in heterosexual relationships.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think most players would not be happy about the change. The overwhelming majority of GoW players are heterosexual males who want to play as heterosexual males. This is true of most games, not just GoW.
I mean I'm a hetero dude and I'd welcome a game with a gay dude protagonist. I think it could bring an interesting dynamic as long as they don't go the lazy route in their characterization and make a bad stereotype.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of character would be paired up with? Is the OP implying that the relationship with his son would be drastically different if he were gay?

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean... If it helps people feel better about them selves, cool?

Not sure why a video game characters sexual orientation or what ever is seen as a big deal. Never really cared if I played a women or man. Gay, steaight, bisexual. What ever. This is coming from a white male tho...

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
According to ancient Greek sexual norms, it would practically be strange for Kratos to not have a younger male lover at his current age. That was very common both in real life and in mythology. Hercules had male lovers alongside being married to various women.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I dont think he would be attracted to any of the characters/enemies he was around, no males showed any interest in him either.

Kratos was really a terrible pick for this topic.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah he would likely already have male lovers, even if he was married.
i agree tho that the gamergate crowd's reaction would have been delicious, but i don't think any studio would have the balls to portray kratos as anything but 100% hetero.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Which Kratos?

If we're talking the Greek one, there would probably be some really explicit scenes judging from how they treated him with women.

I honestly don't see devs being as explicit with gay sex scenes as they were/are for hetero. The pushback from Capital-G Gamers would be off-the-charts, and they'd have no problem politicising the issue and getting the alt-right and Republicans and the Evangelicals on-board. If the franchise were smaller, or if they'd made less of how sexual Kratos was, mayyyyyyybeeeee it wouldn't be so fraught. But as is? Nah.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
KEEP SMASHING
circle18x18.png
TO PENETRATE THE HOLY RING OF FIRE

OP
OP
Pekola

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think he would be attracted to any of the characters/enemies he was around, no males showed any interest in him either.

Kratos was really a terrible pick for this topic.

Well, part of the reason I chose Kratos to start with, is because the new GoW games try to show a different perspective in his character and how he tackles things like fatherhood.

So, why not talk about how he'd handle romance. Specifically, male on male romance.

More on that, Kratos is a very masculine creation. He's the culmination of lots of male sensibilities distilled into a character. Sure, the game doesn't delve into romance much at all, but it's there.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Making kratos a romantic would be a bigger change than making actually married to a classic bear and being the uncles to the kid

Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean his wife died so why not try sometbing new if he's into it?

Seriously tho I'd be fine with it. Tho I would think at this point he'd become the hero type that doesn't get close to anyone since they inevitably get hurts

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what if sans from fortnite was in family guy?