• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Let's say hypothetically both the Xbox Two and the PS5 are just Hybrids in the style of the Switch then.

Either we'd be looking at massive, expensive machines more akin to a gaming laptop, or we'd be going into a generation where we'd be getting new machines with less power than the XOX.

Either way would suck to some degree, and I particularly don't see the former approach selling at all well enough to justify it, so we'd likely be looking at a whole new generation of machines that wouldn't be raising the baseline for game development beyond what we already have now, and make all those expensive 4K TVs people bought redundant.

Still, I'd be happy. Bloody love handhelds and don't much care about graphics. Would suck for PC gamers and graphics fetishists though, and we'd likely not get that CPU baseline leap we so desperately need.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I wonder if people do it cause they realistically want S and M to make on the go version of their consoles or cause people want em to join and strengthen the market for Nintendo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When people Say if PS/XB can take the path of hte switch but more powerful

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
What if they didn't, and the people who liked Switch kept playing Switch, and the rest of us kept enjoying our powerful consoles?

Feb 10, 2018
Maybe, maybe MS would make xbox one games work on windows 10 one day.

But thats the closest to a portable from sony and MS we will get.

Sony wont do it because

1. If PS5 was PS5bred and was like the switch it would be to much of a deviation from the PlayStation brand and be weaker then the PS4.
  2. Sony will not do a vita 2 which is a hybrid because they would be worried it would detract from there home consoles.
Maybe in like 2027 sony will do a hybrid that can play PS 1,2,3 and 4 games and stream PS5/6 games.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I would be sad.

Sony should stick to having Remote Play be their portable option since you are free to play with it on many devices, especially their phones with native Dual Shock 4 support and that clip to attach the phone to the controller.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awful idea, I don't care for handheld gaming, don't want a console compromising power, don't want to pay for items I'll never use (screen, joycons etc).

Nintendo should cater for that crowd, Sony and MS are doing fine with traditional premium gaming. The future is services and robust online features, not portability.

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think theyll take another stab at remote play though.
Wireless ax may mean third times the charm.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I remember people asking that same thing about Wii motion controls up until the middle of 2010.

Wii was selling beyond anything released at that point and especially Sonys home console gaming (PS3) was struggling so it made more sense to try to copy the things Wii did. Switch at at the moment is selling like early PS4. Why would Sony change from their successful approach to something different that at best would give them same results as the current approach? Makes no sense.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
People are so damn desperate to see Nintendo get ripped-off yet again.
Let them have this man.
The 'big boys' have online locked, VR, 4K... I hope they never tackle portables again just for the sake of diversity.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think either Sony or MS will do a Switch.

I have a feeling Sony are looking at doing a portable device that may function closer to a Wii U gamepad at home, that one can take with them on the go. Something that can be marketed more like an accessory in the West, but as a portable console in Japan.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
The gaming world would be a better place :D

With three consoles all doing the same thing? No. The gaming world needs variety to thrive. The switch has been successful because its a differentiated offer to the other two boxes that are basically the same outside of exclusives.

I think we're in a good place right now really, with the switch doing its thing, MS having the performance crown with the One X and PS covering (and owning) the middle ground.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
No thanks, if it means hardware limitations.
However some kind of add on, like a controller with screen just for local remote play (like a Vita but with all the buttons), might be affordable enough since it wouldn't have to use anb expensive SoC

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sony could have. They had Vita and Vita TV. They could have released a Vita model with an HDMI out and DualShock 4 but it probably still would have bombed.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
They won't go full bore switch but they will having scaling games that play on a multitude of devices.

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
CoWZ05t.gif

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think these threads are made in hopes that if MS/Sony go hybrid the next switch will be closer in specs and thus get more 3rd party games.

Edit: who knew niche was a trigger word lol.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It would screw up the entire 3rd party publishing industry. Studio pipelines involving 1000 people would be totally redundant on a < 20W handheld. Not to mention Sony's internal development teams at tooled the same way.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, how many threads like this is going to be created....

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
I don't know if they will release a hybrid device, but I'm sure that we will have another thread about this tomorrow!

Last edited:

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone ever copies the Switch, they need to make sure it has full Thunderbolt 3 support, not just USB-C. That way instead of release upgraded 'Pro' consoles, they can just keep making more powerful docks. Feel like this was a misstep by Nintendo.

Either way I don't think it'll ever happen.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
If I wanted to PlayStation (in my case) was equal to Nintendo, would be easier to buy a Nintendo, which I didn't. Every console was its pros / cons, don't try every day to transform MS and Sony in Nintendo.

Prophyblakcis

Oct 25, 2017
all they need is to be present in the mobile arena. theres really no need to converge. for sony a vita 2 will be fine. totally separate from a static console

Dec 20, 2017
Sony's first-party devs would be hobbled. Part of the reason why the Switch works is Nintendo first-party devs try to innovate on gameplay as opposed to presentation, which means their games are still successful on an under powered console. Sony devs, by contrast, invest heavily in the presentation, which is obviously much more limited by console power, and even becomes unappealing on a portable. Like who wants to play the next Uncharted on an underpowered tablet?

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Id rather MS enable streaming the titles we on/sub to on gamepass to an xbox app across diff kinds of devices.
Both sony and ms have bluetooth on their controls so itd be cool to just connect it that way and play lol

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
What if they didn't, and the people who liked Switch kept playing Switch, and the rest of us kept enjoying our powerful consoles?
THIS, for god's sake. Enjoy your Switch, but please please PLEASE stop asking the same question over and over and over again. It won't happen, lots of people couldn't care less about portability and still care very much about good graphics. To each his own