• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
The Bouncer is an excellent game and is still fun to play through to this day.

Resident Evil 6 is also a masterpiece and I'm sad that the series didn't move towards a great third person action role.

Final Fantasy XV is a lot better than most people say. A little bit of thinking and you can put the story together and the combat can be incredibly satisfying if you actually learn to get good at it.

Before this year started, Street Fighter V was on track to be one of the best fighting games ever released. It's really sad to see the 180 Capcom took this year.

Robo King > The King of the Cosmos (Katamari Damacy stuff.)

The newest Dance Dance Revolution game is the best the series has ever been. I don't care that scoring is looser, the game is fun and rewarding.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman Absolution is a great game
God of War Ascension is another great game
BioShock Infinite is by far the best in the franchise
Scarface The World is Yours is one of the best open words on PS2
Gun is the second best old west game ever, only beaten by Red Dead Redemption
Pokemon is Nintendo's best franchise
What Remains of Edith Finch is the best indie game ever

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
Both Destiny 1 and 2 has resulted in some of the most exhilarating experiences I've had in a game via raids and missions. It also resulted in me making friends with great people from all over the world and I've had the pleasure of meeting one of them in real life as well. I hope to do so with many more if/when it becomes possible.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Stories in FFXIV and its expansions are hands down the best in the franchise.
FFX has the best battle system.
Relationship mechanic in games is important. More games should try to incoporate it especially story driven games.
Lollipop Chainsaw is the best Suda51 game.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
The NES Mario games are basically the best in the series. Though all the console 2D Mario games are very good (and the 3D games a bit less so), I'm not sure Nintendo ever matched the quality of 1, 2 (Japan), and 3 again. I think a big part of that is because they almost completely moved away from arcade-style design with World, which really took a lot out of the series. (The more controversial part of this, I guess, is that I think SMB1 is the best non-NES game in the series and that the Japanese 2 is hands-down the best Mario. Despite their relative simplicity, I really appreciate those games' focus on pure obstacle courses, without any of the fluff or gimmicks that started drifting in afterwards.)

The original Legend of Zelda, too, is perhaps the best game in its series. I don't really like that Zelda started to turn into more of a puzzle-focused, guided series from A Link to the Past onward (and even Breath of the Wild doesn't quite hit the same notes Zelda 1 does). Zelda was more interesting as an action game with a heavy focus on exploration than what it turned into afterwards. I also think that the game's opacity is talked up a little too much; the only things that are truly untelegraphed are nonessential secrets. Any reasonably diligent player can beat Zelda 1 without a strategy guide.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are fantastic games; 5 in particular is one of the best in the series (though it's true that that is only because it borrows so much from its superior predecessor RE4). People get a little too hung up on whether or not the games are scary, as though they expect Capcom to repeatedly recreate the particular experience they had playing the PS1 games as a 10-year old. This isn't to say that RE6 isn't a flawed game, but what RE6 does well (enemy design, player moveset, and interesting co-op encounter design) is pretty much unmatched.

Fire Emblem Fates (Conquest specifically) is incredible. It's extremely strange to see it written off as an obviously bad game in discussions regarding the series - it's true that the story is pretty laughable but that's never really been the main draw of Fire Emblem to begin with.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
Microsoft exclusives has been great this generation! Their multiplayer focus is a huge strength.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
it's the fault if that epic trailer we got before release, made people think it's gonna be way more story heavy than it ended up being.

ohhh i gotcha. yeah, that story trailer was pretty dang epic. I thought it sold the game pretty well (still think the game has better story and character focus than any game). But i could see where people may get the wrong idea.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the most controversial opinion is that easy modes, story modes etc, are always a great idea.

Chrono Cross is an excellent game
Final Fantasy X is excellent, Tidus is a perfectly good character, and blitzball is fun
Grandia Xtreme is just as good as Grandia 2
Suikoden III is the best Suikoden
Gacha games can be a lot of fun if you don't go overboard (which, I understand, is not always the fault of the individual)
The King of Fighters 3D games (Maximum Impact?) are both really good games
Mass Effect 1 is the best Mass Effect

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to like fighting games that try something new, that make significant changes to the system instead of minor tweaks. I think Virtua Fighter 3, Tekken 4, and Soul Calibur 5 are all awesome. Yeah, not everything they changed worked, but enough did that it was a great experience.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Disney's Epic Mickey took flak for avoiding its grimdark initial pitch reveal. But the game is truly a love letter for the vast and wonderful history of Disney.

James Dooley composed one of the most overlooked and underappreciated OSTs of the generation, and the game play was a harkening back to the action platformers of the previous generations. Every Disney fan (especially Disneyland fans) shoulf put it on themselves to play this labor of love from Warren Spector and his team.

Dec 12, 2017
Hitman Absolution is a great game
God of War Ascension is another great game
BioShock Infinite is by far the best in the franchise
Scarface The World is Yours is one of the best open words on PS2
Gun is the second best old west game ever, only beaten by Red Dead Redemption
Pokemon is Nintendo's best franchise
What Remains of Edith Finch is the best indie game ever

Ascension is SO GOOD. I don't know if people just didn't play it and were sick of God of War, but it was incredible, especially from a technical perspective. The most impressive technological sequence of that console generation is the final boss of Ascension. Jaw-dropping stuff.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World is so far ahead of every other game in the series. Where other MH games suffer immensely from complexity for the sake of complexity, MHW's system changes are a massive improvement across the board. Including scout flies. Playing other MH games after World can feel like a chore, and I never come away from them saying "I wish that system worked like this in World."

The only argument I can see for other games is the amount of content or specific monsters being missing that people like, but from a pure gameplay perspective MHW is near perfect, and I can't wait for Iceborn. The content argument isn't even a big one right now considering how much extra amazing content the team put out post launch. And it has all been totally free.

Also Tekken 7 is by far and away the best fighting game this generation and one of the best ever made. To have a game that balanced is such an incredible achievement, and it's so deeply rewarding to improve at the game.

Dec 12, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V is a great Metal Gear Solid game.

Do people really believe that Kojima didn't intentionally mislead them about the nature of this game? This is the guy that created an entire marketing campaign around the idea of playing as Snake, only to give us Raiden...in a video game that's about the ability of the internet to mislead and create misinformation. A MGS is never JUST about what you can see on screen, it's always about the META narrative and that involves the news cycle revolving around the game, the release, the box not having "A hideo kojima game" on it.

We are Snake. We feel the pain of something that was lost, that was once there. The Phantom Pain. The added brilliance of this particular meta narrative is that the line between what is intentional and what is coincidental due to his departure from Konami. It's like art is crossing over into the real world god it's so fucking cool.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Sunset Riders is Konami at its absolute finest. I'd kill for a modern-day sequel (preferrably with ousourced development, heh).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Do people really believe that Kojima didn't intentionally mislead them about the nature of this game? This is the guy that created an entire marketing campaign around the idea of playing as Snake, only to give us Raiden...in a video game that's about the ability of the internet to mislead and create misinformation. A MGS is never JUST about what you can see on screen, it's always about the META narrative and that involves the news cycle revolving around the game, the release, the box not having "A hideo kojima game" on it.

We are Snake. We feel the pain of something that was lost, that was once there. The Phantom Pain. The added brilliance of this particular meta narrative is that the line between what is intentional and what is coincidental due to his departure from Konami. It's like art is crossing over into the real world god it's so fucking cool.
One of the most commonly used critiques of MGSV is that it's a great game, just not a good MGS game. I think that is wrong, I think it's a great MGS game. I also really like you're interpretation of it. I might just have to play it again.

Thanks.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Indie games have reached such an impressive level of quality and offer such a broad range of diverse experiences that in any given month you're better off spending $60 on three new $20 games instead of the latest hot AAA release.

Oct 28, 2017
Ascension is SO GOOD. I don't know if people just didn't play it and were sick of God of War, but it was incredible, especially from a technical perspective. The most impressive technological sequence of that console generation is the final boss of Ascension. Jaw-dropping stuff.
Indeed, and I'm gonna go one further. The multiplayer of Ascension was a fantastic addition to the series and made the game unmissable. It wasn't perfect and certainly had balance issues but it was unique and oh so fun. I loved God of War multiplayer.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
There are no 'bad' video games, just different player tastes and preferences. Every game which critically failed has their fan base. Any game has the potential to be enjoyable no matter how simplistic or complex.

Also titles which are incredibly good and underrated imo:
Blood Omen 2 - it just wasn't what the Soul Reaver fanbase wanted and an atmospheric masterpiece
Splinter Cell Essentials (PSP) - The best of Splinter Cell. On the go. Just wow!
AC: Unity & AC III - The best games in the series. With 3 being the pinnacle of the franchise.

Nablith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dragon Quest XI was the first JRPG to try and successfully capture the spirit of a classic JRPG while also keeping it modern and easily accessible for an adult. If not for Persona 5, I'd say this was the best JRPG in many years.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These games of the past 30 years are better than their reputations:

1989 - China Warrior (TG16)
1990 - Street Fighter 2010 (NES)
1991 - Dahna (MD)
1992 - Shadow of the Beast III (Amiga)
1993 - The 7th Saga (SNES)
1994 - Kaze Kiri (PCE CD)
1995 - Phantasmagoria (PC)
1996 - Project: Horned Owl (PS1)
1997 - Blade Runner (PC)
1998 - Radikal Bikers (Arc)
1999 - Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)
2000 - Fantavision (PS2)
2001 - Uplink (PC)
2002 - Way of the Samurai (PS2)
2003 - Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC/XB)
2004 - Requiem of Hell (Ngage)
2005 - Red Ninja (PS2/XB)
2006 - Excite Truck (Wii)
2007 - Jetpac Refuelled (360)
2008 - Alone in the Dark (PC/PS3/360)
2009 - Bionic Commando (PC/PS3/360)
2010 - Epic Mickey (Wii)
2011 - Shinobi (3DS)
2012 - Qasir-Al-Wasat (PC)
2013 - Remember Me (PC/PS3/360)
2014 - Risen 3 (PC/PS4/PS3/360)
2015 - Rodea The Sky Soldier (Wii)
2016 - Far Cry: Primal (PC/PS4/XBO)
2017 - Elex (PC/PS4/XBO)
2018 - I'm having trouble thinking of great games I played without great reviews. And there's still so much to catch up with.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember Me, The Order and Ryse are all great game and I still hope to see a sequel to each of them one day.

Ubisoft is one if not the best publisher both in terms of game quality and game versatility. They manage to release so many different type of games, it's astounding.

The VITA is one of the best handheld released and it also has a pretty kickass library.

Dragon Age 2 is a good game especially knowing the actual development length.

AC: Unity is the 2nd best game in the franchise and is the quintessential Assassin's Creed experience.

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Maybe because it was the original, but I still think that, story wise, the original Uncharted is the best in the series. Loved all the characters. The music was fantastic
Monster Hunter World is so far ahead of every other game in the series. Where other MH games suffer immensely from complexity for the sake of complexity, MHW's system changes are a massive improvement across the board. Including scout flies. Playing other MH games after World can feel like a chore, and I never come away from them saying "I wish that system worked like this in World."

The only argument I can see for other games is the amount of content or specific monsters being missing that people like, but from a pure gameplay perspective MHW is near perfect, and I can't wait for Iceborn. The content argument isn't even a big one right now considering how much extra amazing content the team put out post launch. And it has all been totally free.

Also Tekken 7 is by far and away the best fighting game this generation and one of the best ever made. To have a game that balanced is such an incredible achievement, and it's so deeply rewarding to improve at the game.

At the moment there is a special on Tekken 7 on Aussie PSN stores. Been thinking about picking it up. Will definitely purchase it after that glowing praise!

MattG

Mar 16, 2018
Metroid: Other M is a fun, well-made game, and I'd play a sequel in the same style.

Oct 28, 2017
Remember Me, The Order and Ryse are all great game and I still hope to see a sequel to each of them one day.

Ubisoft is one if not the best publisher both in terms of game quality and game versatility. They manage to release so many different type of games, it's astounding.

The VITA is one of the best handheld released and it also has a pretty kickass library.

Dragon Age 2 is a good game especially knowing the actual development length.

AC: Unity is the 2nd best game in the franchise and is the quintessential Assassin's Creed experience.
Remember Me is great I honestly loved it. As someone that cant get in to a lot of character action games with complex combos I found Remember Me's simplicity to combat fun and refreshing. And yeah, obviously the game looked amazing, oozed style and had a cool story.

Yay for the Vita love! Words can't express how much I love Vita. Anyone that knows me knows that my love for Vita could get kinda weird at points. I talked about my love for Vita at an interview and it landed me the job once...

Dec 12, 2017
XIII is often criticized for being overly linear but I don't really see how that differs from Final Fantasy X, a game most people hold in pretty high regard. Most of X is proceeding down a straight line with minor variations. Shit you can't even really stop and grind much until AFTER the Blitzball tournament in Luca.

Now if you want to criticize XIII for having terrible characters I'm all for it, but the linearity isn't the problem. also the combat system is really cool.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
My own: Splinter Cell Conviction's change in gameplay to be more upfront assault rather than tactical stealth was perfect because the gameplay changed with the tone of the narrative. Easily my second favorite Splinter Cel.

Wow someone agrees with me. After Chaos Theory, Conviction is the second best game.

Idk how spicy this is but Reach is the best Halo game.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
- MGS2 is my favourite MGS title (and I've played them all)

- Assassin's creed is one of the most consistent and best gaming series of all time

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
Persona going all in on having a high school setting was very good for the series, and allowed it to form a strong, focused identity, while embracing the themes it approaches, and it makes for a franchise that is tremendously impactful to get into, especially in your teenage years.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 is -really- good
Square Enix has finally figured out their production pipeline nightmare and the next ten years are going to be good
MGS1 has the best OST in the franchise
Japanese games never needed to catch up to American games, they were always delivering better gameplay throughout
I love your first and third points so much, and agree completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.