• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmic

Nov 7, 2017
The Steam Controller is the best controller available for computers for virtually every game, and it's got its bad rep from Valve setting bad expectations.

It's not supposed to replace a mouse and keyboard for competitive games, it merely makes most single player games where you don't need to be the best to succeed playable with a controller. It is also not necessarily just about keyboard and mouse games, it is vastly superior to most traditional controllers for playing games meant to be played with a controller.

It has a very good gyroscope that can be activated whenever you're touching the right pad with your thumb (you can configure this behavior), so in games where aiming is important or where you just need to be able to click on tiny little UI elements you're supposed to play it more like Splatoon. It's extremely accurate, far more than what's possible with a joystick on a controller.

For games that aren't about aiming, the rear paddles are extremely useful and obviate the need to use the face buttons for the vast majority games, instead letting you rebind stuff for convenience. Being able to play Rocket League without ever taking your thumb off the camera controls is liberating, and you will have a competitive advantage over other players because of it.

The pad itself takes getting used to if you're not used to using laptop touchpads, and especially if you recoil at the idea of a laptop touchpad for gaming. It's way higher quality and more accurate than any laptop touchpad I've ever used, and being able to very accurately control the camera in third person games feels good. You can turn the camera to face exactly where you want almost instantly, instead of waiting for it to slowly pan around like with a stick.

The pad can also do things other than just control your camera. It can click in like a joystick, but because it can detect where your thumb is, you can also make it simultaneously behave like a D-pad. Drag your thumb to control the camera, click it in at the edge to send D-pad inputs, click it in anywhere in the middle to send a right stick click input (all of those inputs can be customized, of course). For a game like Dark Souls, this means you can do things like swap weapons and spells and items without taking your thumb off movement. There's just so much more I can do in PvP because of that freedom, being able to full-on dash into someone's face and swap my weapon at the last second to fake out an opponent is just so useful.

Only complaints are that the controller feels a little dinky and the bumpers don't feel great and wear out after a couple years of regular use, but assuming you ordered off of Steam the RMA policy is pretty generous. I had my old one replaced for free, which is surprsing given Steam Support's reputation as being extremely unhelpful.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
FFX-2's character writing is good.

Yuna's behavior is a completely logical step forward after where FFX left off, and the only reason people don't like it is because they want Yuna to be their perfect demure Japanese waifu forever.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I want to @ everyone because I agree with every post.
This is a fantastic thread, nice to see so much positivity here.
Glad to see that people don't @ other posters to say "no, your controversial positive opinion is wrong, this game is just bad"
Fantastic thread.

Some people on this forum can sometimes forget a little bit too easily that games are not just products. A few times people have jumped on me here and told me "reminder that those corporations are not your friends" or "devs want your money, they are not your friends", when I say that x devs/x studio have done their best to create the best game possible for us.
Video games are creations, pieces of works made by actual people. A lot of people have worked on them for years, they've putted everything they got in it. I think there's always something for someone in any video game, even in the most hated game out there, because those games are created by human beings, people that are just like us.

Fuck the haters, every games are good, here's my take.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Battleborn is a great game that i still play almost on a daily basis and as much as i love overwatch, i enjoy Battleborn way more, people dog piled on this game because of the incompetence of the devs to properly paint a picture of what the game is and most people even to this day don't really know anything about it and still shit on it.

I mean, come on guys, it outlived LawBreakers!

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
DMC 1 and 3 are both great games, but DmC is my favorite in the series
Assassin's Creed Unity is a good game
Metroid: Other M is a fun game despite its glaring narrative flaws
MGSV is by far the best in the series

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
RE 6 was one of the most fun third person shooters I've played

I loved the FFXIII trilogy, and Lightning is my favorite FF character.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel Infinite is a great game and arguably the best in terms of gameplay of the Marvel VS Calvin games. Just wish it had more characters.

Last edited:

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Knack 2 is a legit great game and one of my favorite platformer in years.

You can make a genuine case that Knack 2 is a better platformer than Mario Oddysey.

Last edited:

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Was not aware of the negativity surrounding Last Guardian. It's one of my favorite games of all time and is better than Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 is good, actually. Yo-kai Watch has great creative writing.

People need to grow up from PS2 era Level 5.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Valkyria Revolution was a good Musou game.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
2018 has been an exceptional year for videogames. I don't feel like that should be terribly controversial, but around here, I constantly see people making some form of the statement "2018 has been lackluster," and I cannot for the life of me understand that. Now, this comes with the enormous caveat that I do not have a Nintendo Switch, and so I missed out on Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey last year, but 2018 might be my favorite year of gaming since 1998. The sheer depth of titles on offer made this one of the fullest years of gaming I've gotten to have since becoming a parent. We got one of my favorite open-world games ever (RDR 2), my absolute favorite superhero game ever (Spider-Man), a sensational action game I really expected to dislike (God of War), a great entry in one of my favorite series (AC Odyssey) and a marvelous survival game that was so well done that I had to complete it even though I typically don't like the genre (Subnautica). And we got several massive updates that basically transformed No Man's Sky into something even beyond the pie in the sky pipedream that was originally promised. That's not even including all the things I didn't play that are getting rave reviews (Celeste, Return of the Obra Dinn, Smash Bros, Detroit, Tetris Effect, Hitman 2, etc.). So, yeah, 2018 was pretty damn good.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I want to @ everyone because I agree with every post.
This is a fantastic thread, nice to see so much positivity here.
Glad to see that people don't @ other posters to say "no, your controversial positive opinion is wrong, this game is just bad"
Fantastic thread.

Some people on this forum can sometimes forget a little bit too easily that games are not just products. A few times people have jumped on me here and told me "reminder that those corporations are not your friends" or "devs want your money, they are not your friends", when I say that x devs/x studio have done their best to create the best game possible for us.
Video games are creations, pieces of works made by actual people. A lot of people have worked on them for years, they've putted everything they got in it. I think there's always something for someone in any video game, even in the most hated game out there, because those games are created by human beings, people that are just like us.

Fuck the haters, every games are good, here's my take.

Yep. Some games may have more fans then others, but its great that everyone can get different value from them.

Ill add another. Halo 4 is one of my favourite Halo games, from its personal storytelling between cortana and master chief, which is about one of the writers real life issues with his mother going through dementia which highlights my own relationship with my mothers mental health, and some of the best multiplayer maps in both team slayer and some excellent big team slayer maps.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy II is one of the better FF games.

Suikoden IV is not quite as godawful as its reputation.

Final Fantasy VIII is fun as shit to play BECAUSE of its quirkiness and how broken it is.

D2 (the Kenji Eno Dreamcast game) is awesome and fun.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually really enjoy playing FO76. It's pretty meditative for me, even with the bugs. I just like to wander around, listen to holotapes, break into places, and steal everything I can carry. I love building my base, decorating it with new shit, and dressing my character with clothes I steal from (sometimes very, very dead) people. PVP has never once gotten in the way of things either, which is really nice.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Absolutely love the current trend of games having non condescending/shaming easier/story/assist modes for those of us that want to enjoy a game but don't care about a challenge. Some games in the past did em like Ninja Gaiden's Black Ninja Dog mode or MGS5's Chicken Head but i'm not a fan of those since they are condescending to the player.

Good examples on top of my head of games with them are:

Celeste
Nier: Automata
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Spiderman
Uncharted
Modern Fire Emblem games
Megaman 11 and Megaman X Legacy Collection's Rookie mode

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
ACIII and Unity are my favorite in the saga.
ME III was a masterpiece.
DmC is my favorite game in the saga.
MGS4 cutscenes were great.
The controls, animations, pace and small interactions in RDR2 are what make it one of the best games of all time.
VR is amazing and is the future of one side of gaming, companies should figure out what we can do with it and invest heavily on it or be left in the dust in a few.
The next new massive studio will be making a VR game.
VR can be the best local (and online) multiplayer experiences.
Detroit is one of the best "choose your own adventure" games ever made.
The Order was an incredible game and a joy to play. The black bars made it look even better.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Absolutely love the current trend of games having non condescending/shaming easier/story/assist modes for those of us that want to enjoy a game but don't care about a challenge. Some games in the past did em like Ninja Gaiden's Black Ninja Dog mode or MGS5's Chicken Head but i'm not a fan of those since they are condescending to the player.

Celeste
Spiderman
Uncharted
Modern Fire Emblem games
This is a great one, yeah. It doesn't just help people who don't want to be challenged or whose abilities are a little below average, but also makes the medium much more accessible to newcomer as well. This trend has my full support.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Celeste
Spiderman
Uncharted
Modern Fire Emblem games

Atlus's games have been getting better at it for a while too, Persona and Catherine in particular have modes that give you all of the story content without having to worry about the gameplay. There's also Bravely Default, which allows you to completely alter encounter and EXP rates.

Let people enjoy games however they wanna enjoy games, it's as simple as that.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
In context of resetera, I like Final Fantasy XV a lot(avatar quote), although I admit that some characters get way too little screentime for how important they are supposed to be *coughlunacough*.

On a more general term, I enjoy Sonic's levels and can tolerate how he controls in Sonic 06.

Alexios' voice actor in Assassins Creed Odissey does a perfectly fine job.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Celeste
Spiderman
Uncharted
Modern Fire Emblem games
<3

My wife still brings up that she beat Uncharted 4. She didn't grow up with games and they are intimidating to someone who didn't have them in their life until they were an adult. I'm really happy more and more games are adding these alternative modes.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Playing as Magma in between missions in X-men Legends adds something the sequels/spiritual-sequels never really found an equivalence for.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
"Unnecessary" waggle in games can be really silly fun and add a kinetic edge to your games.

I wish Breath of the Wild had motion controls for weapons.

Oct 28, 2017
"Unnecessary" waggle in games can be really silly fun and add a kinetic edge to your games.

I wish Breath of the Wild had motion controls for weapons.
Loved the motion controls in Twilight Princess. I don't understand people that say the Gamecube version was better because of the lack of motion controls. Motion controls made Twilight Princess better.

Status
Not open for further replies.