• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
another hot take.

Devils third wasn't as bad as ppl made it out to be. I wont go as far as to say its a good game. But there are plenty of games that aren't as fun/interesting to play as Devils Third

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian is a masterpiece.

And for an added bonus:

No Man's Sky was fun at launch (but obviously even better now)

Apr 24, 2018
I'm going double or nothing:

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja starring Goemon was the best action/platformer on N64.
Bomberman 64 was the best multiplayer experience on N64.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
The Twin Snakes on GameCube is the best way to play MGS1. From gameplay to voice acting, almost everything is a clear improvement.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Musou games are nice.
Some games are fine without voice acting.
Level-5 is a good company with great IP's.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
More companies besides Nintendo can print money making platform fighters/3d platform/kart racers/party games if they wanted

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I believe I have quite a few...
  • Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis and Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy are some of the greatest JRPG's ever created. They blend so many fun elements together in such a seamless way.
  • Atelier Meruru is the best Atelier game. I thrive on the time limit, money management and increased pressure of the new development mechanics. It's immensely satisfying to play and the battle system wants you to break it which is always fun.
  • More games need to use time limits. It's stressful but truly rewarding.
  • Phantasy Star IV is the best 16-bit RPG. Out of all of them.
  • Tales of Xillia 2 is my favourite in the series and the protagonist was handled incredibly well, especially when considering certain scenes. They should make more like this.
  • Final Fantasy II was ahead of its time and many future titles (such as Final Fantasy IV) owe a lot to it. The remake on the PSP is a brilliant looking game and it remains one of my favourites in the entire series.
  • Final Fantasy XIII has one of the best battle systems in the series and the game does a stellar job at pushing you to learn it. There's a decent amount of depth. It's an okay game.
  • Ys I, II and IV's run-into-enemy battle system was great and created a sense of pace that is unlike many other games. The remakes of I & II show it's a system that can work very well.
  • Uncharted 3 is the most fun Uncharted game.
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 was surprisingly kinda good. The first game is a mess so the complete overhaul they did is quite impressive. The later games in the series continued with mk2's gameplay ideas but I found that they were never implemented as well. I also think the 3D models during cutscenes was a better change and was disappointed that they ditched it.

Last edited:

wxMak

Oct 27, 2017
Wally from Ruby/Sapphire is one of the best rivals in the pokemon franchise. While not having many appearances throughout the game, he grows from a sickly kid incapable of being able to stand up to the player to being equal by Victory Road. One of the first friendly rivals and one of the best.

Oct 25, 2017
The Virtual Boy is worth playing. It has multiple good games and one truly great game (Wario Land) that is one of the five best Nintendo games ever made and easily one of the top ten games of the 1990s on its worst day

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
The Surge is an excellent sous-like game and I trust Deck13 to make the same qualitative leap between Surge 1 & 2 than the did after Lords of the Fallen.

Also and by extension, Focus Home puts some of the most interesting AA games and I am glad they're sticking to this market.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D platformer of the sixth generation and a worth follow up to Mario 64. It's certainly was the best 3D platformer released since Mario 64.
The only platformer that rivaled Sunshine that gen was the first Jak and Daxter.

The level of control and the feel of Mario's movement is unparalleled in a 3D platformer at-least until Mario Odyssey came out. All the worlds have an amazing atmosphere and are expertly designed. It's disappointing that the game has some cut content and some of the blue coins are next to impossible to find without a guide but because the game is fun to play, it managed to make just the act of collecting the Blue coins fun in and of it's self. Exploring every nook and cranny in every world was enjoyable. Vastly more preferably than something like, for example letting your brain go on autopilot through 99% of 3D World.

While there are only 7 World they are much larger and unlike in Mario 64 i don't feel there is as much of an inconsistency quality wise between the worlds themselves. They are all open sandbox playgrounds and the missions themselves in each of them were fun. Sunshine expanded on 64's structure by making every mission in a world a unique scenario of sorts and that's why i don't mind that the game doesn't let you collect shines out of order like you could collect the stars out of order in Mario 64. It's more restrictive but in the context of Sunshine i think it makes sense.

FlUDD was the best central mechanic ever introduced in Mario game until Cappy in Odyssey. Oh and the soundtrack is excellent.

While it's far from the best Mario game, it's certainly the most underrated. I don't think it comes close to being a bad Mario game.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 5 is a very good game and one of the best action games of last console generation. It is not as good as RE4 but the hate for RE5 is totally exaggerated.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Splatterhouse 2010 was alright.

I'm glad Gunstar Super Heroes exists because Treasure straight up said for years they didn't want to make a GH sequel, as it could never live up to expectations. It didn't, but it was a cool game and I had fun with it.

Resident Evil 5 is a very good game and one of the best action games of last console generation. It is not as good as RE4 but the hate for RE5 is totally exaggerated.

I recognize that it isn't a masterpiece like 4 but I legitimately consider it one of the best co-op experiences I've ever had. And its Mercenaries mode was awesome.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Operation Raccoon City had an amazing sidearm/quickdraw mechanic and was crazy fun co-op. The multiplayer was a blast too with all the creatures running around.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Disney Infinity was dope as fuck, and the two Star Wars playsets are amongst the best Star Wars games ever made.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Shadow the a Hedgehog's multitude of pathways and endings were a fun deviation from the typical 3d Sonic game.

I'm a few days late, but I agree with this. Being able to choose your path through the game was a really solid idea. I'm not sure it really worked all that well in a story-focused game, but if they make Sonic Mania 2, I would love for every act to have several goals, and depending on which on you finish in, determines which stage comes next. Perhaps via a similar mechanic like Sonic CD.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Tales of Destiny 2 on ps2 is the most fun game in that series, followed by Graces which had a pretty good story in the beginning and end (the middle turns into a meh clone of ff4)

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac's best game.

The first KOTOR is so good I'm content without a sequel

You don't need a million characters to make the best fighting game. The best ones don't.

Below is one of the most unique and gripping games I've played in a while.

Any game mechanic can be good given the right implementation.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Tank controls and camera angles still have a place in modern horror gaming (the former can be optional) and I would like to see a lower budget Resident Evil spinoff try it.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
While not the best in the series when it was released, once all the DLCs came out, Mass Effect 3 is the best game of the trilogy and the changes made to the ending with the expanded cut + additional context Leviathan adds to the Reapers plus the emotional closure Citadel dlc provides makes it a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. Community mods released since release have only cemented its position (as it has by far the most active modding of the three games).

Also Andromeda was ok as long as you didn't try to 100% it. Still the worst of the trilogy but not a terrible game.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love cinematic effects like motion blur and chromatic aberration, please fill all games with them at all times.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
- Rockstar's character movement systems are among the best because they're weighty and feel natural.

- Forza Horizon is up there with PGR as the best racing franchises of all time.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Metroid Other M is really not that bad, the outrage about this game is blown up in proportion.

Contact damage is a solid and perfectly valid design choice.

I love water levels, zelda water temples are often godlike, rayman and dk did some good shit, and as strange as it sound i got to really enjoy that infamous tmnt barrage level. Also liked the tension in sonic when about to drown.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The Virtual Boy is worth playing. It has multiple good games and one truly great game (Wario Land) that is one of the five best Nintendo games ever made and easily one of the top ten games of the 1990s on its worst day

Yes! So much this! It's such a weird, fun platform. I even like the weird colour scheme. Not sure I'd rank Wario quite that high, but it's certainly a great game.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
The first Mass Effect was the best one.
Lollipop Chainsaw is Grasshopper best game and deserves a sequel.
Deadly Premonition is amazing, all of it (and also sequel...)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant is the best JRPG I ever finished

Last edited:

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Tank controls and camera angles still have a place in modern horror gaming (the former can be optional) and I would like to see a lower budget Resident Evil spinoff try it.
I'm dying for a great indie in this style. There have been some novel attempts (White Night, Vaccine, Babysitter Bloodbath), but nothing truly great yet.

However in the bigger budget space there is Until Dawn (which I really enjoyed) and the upcoming Man of Medan from Supermassive, which I presume will play in a similar style.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tales of Destiny 2 on ps2 is the most fun game in that series, followed by Graces which had a pretty good story in the beginning and end (the middle turns into a meh clone of ff4)

I know the Destiny Remake has a wonderful battle system, but I think half the reason there has been frothing demand for that to be fan translated is because people at least know the story of Destiny from its original English release on PS1; Destiny 2, while particularly cheesy, definitely has a fun storyline (I've never played Destiny 1 and still enjoyed it) and probably the best iteration of the TP-based battles, particularly with its quirkier fights like any encounter with Barbatos.

Graces's narrative and characters are nowhere near as terrible as internet hyperbole make them out to be, although it's hardly sophisticated.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
God Of War (Boi edition) is overrated as hell, combat is garbage, although I admit I like the backtracking.

Breath Of The Wild is in the same camp, like 95% of open world games it easily gets boring and is one giant map filled with just space.
The surprising part is the only thing that it really got shit for was the the weapon durabilty system, I thought that it was its best feature, made finding and hoarding weapons a blast.

In general I like smaller, more handcrafted levels, they seem to have tighter enemy encounters, better secrets and the dont waste your time moving from place to place.

Also, its easier to get more familiar with them, something like Dark Souls would be my jam, places like Firelink shrine feel like home to me.

Oct 26, 2017
God Of War (Boi edition) is overrated as hell, combat is garbage, although I admit I like the backtracking.

Breath Of The Wild is in the same camp, like 95% of open world games it easily gets boring and is one giant map filled with just space.
The surprising part is the only thing that it really got shit for was the the weapon durabilty system, I thought that it was its best feature, made finding and hoarding weapons a blast.
Fam, this thread is for POSITIVE controversial opinions :P

Status
Not open for further replies.