• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Rayman is a franchise with a ton of underrated entries. Particularly Rayman 3 and Raving Rabbids' releases on the GBA. Those are incredible platformers that got ignored as being throwaway spinoff releases.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Rayman is a franchise with a ton of underrated entries. Particularly Rayman 3 and Raving Rabbids' releases on the GBA. Those are incredible platformers that got ignored as being throwaway spinoff releases.

Rayman 3 on GBA deserves way more attention. It's like a Rayman 2 reimagining with the gameplay of Rayman 1. The GBA Rabbids game is notably low budget but it's pretty cool too

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Games are better without trophies because it requires you to play the game for fun and not get bogged down by chores.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Rayman 3 on GBA deserves way more attention. It's like a Rayman 2 reimagining with the gameplay of Rayman 1. The GBA Rabbids game is notably low budget but it's pretty cool too
Exactly! Also I was following everything I could on Rayman 4's development, and a lot of the scrapped stuff from when it was a platformer (before becoming Raving Rabbids) was incorporated into RR on GBA. The plot was the original RR plot and the level designs took inspiration from the first cancelled pitch of R4.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Final fantasy 12 is one of the best in the series.

Great open world
Great combat system
Amazing sidequests

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I really love phantom hourglass. It is the first game in the series I beat after trying ocarina of Time, wind waker, and twilight princess as kid and not clicking with any of them. After phantom hourglass I went back to the other games and liked them more than.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like tracker/sample based music and in many occasions I prefer it to the pre-rendered/recorded kind. Yes that includes DQXI.

Last edited:

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
The N64 is the best Nintendo home console.
Good N64 games hold up quite well.
You know, I always had the "mainstream" opinion that no, in both cases the SNES fares far better, but I've started revisiting my favourite N64 games due to Hbomberguy's DK64 run... Err, as in, I wanted to play some actually good collectathons. I'm really surprised by Banjo-Kazooie, it's far more streamlined than I remember and much more so than the general opinion on collectathons might tell you.

Also, there's really a lot of really, really good N64 games. I don't know if it really edges out the SNES, but they're pretty close.

Oct 28, 2017
Rayman 1 is the most underrated though. It was my 1995 GOTY and one of my favourite 2D platformers of all time. Still my favourite Rayman game.

Oct 30, 2017
no defending the 50hz stuff, but the playstation classic's lineup is pretty good, and cool boarders 2 in particular is a great pick! it's exactly the kind of 90s-as-hell game i think about when i feel nostalgic for that era.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its alright if Nintendo/Switch doesn't have every third party game under the sun, some games are simply not possible for technical limitstions but portability is still awesome .

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Ehhh aside from the FFXII opinions already mentioned.

FFXIII is great and I really enjoyed the characters and the linear gameplay.
Star Ocean The Last Hope is a great jrpg. Awesome combat and the sense of adventure is so nice that I can ignore some of the terrible plot twists, unlike the one in its predecessor.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Gran Turismo: Sport is the greatest racing game ever.
Steep is the best winter sports game ever.
Bayonetta 1 is better than 2.
BOTW is the only truly fantastic 3D Zelda (and its OST one of the best in gaming)
Bioshock Infinite is a great game.
Linear or half-linear (Galaxy 1&2, 3D world) Mario games are better than the more open ones (64, Odyssey)
The JRPG-formula didn't become stale, as demonstratet by DQ11 (it's just that the games in the genre became progressively worse after the PS2 era).
Nier: Automata ist the greatest game of all time.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the linearity in FF XIII since most of the time older JRPG already were linear with a false sense of freedom where you could travel from around the world, only to find out that something was blocking you to advance into a new zone, or there was some event that needs to happen before triggering the activities in the city

Even the "you can beat this game by only pressing A" felt stupid because you can run through most of the enemies in older FF by just pressing A, except against bosses where you needed to mix up your strategy, something that also happens with FF XIII

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation 1 graphics look nicer than N64. There are of course exceptions but overall PS1 games looked crisper and less foggy to me.

The Tomb Raider Reboot games are very well done and fun to play.

Games with simple stories can be superior to the stories told in movie like games with massive set pieces and dialogue. I feel like there is some fatigue towards that in general.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite is not only one of the top 3 games of the year (along with GoW and Astro Bot), it's a top 10 game of the generation.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Hitman 2 is the best non-indie western game this decade, and maybe ever. I really hope it's successful as a GaaS platform at least so I can keep paying for more content indefinitely.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Star Ocean 4 is a great game, with an extremely fun battle system, a large world filled with opportunities for exploration, some decent environmental graphics. The hate for the characters is way overblown and causes people to overlook all the positives.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
PlayStation 1 graphics look nicer than N64. There are of course exceptions but overall PS1 games looked crisper and less foggy to me.

The Tomb Raider Reboot games are very well done and fun to play.

Games with simple stories can be superior to the stories told in movie like games with massive set pieces and dialogue. I feel like there is some fatigue towards that in general.
Yup, most late gen PS1 games look better than N64 games.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Jak 2 is hands down the best game of the series. Emphasis of Keira and Jak which made sense unlike the random Ashleign romance in 3, didn't go too crazy with the cast of characters like 3, gave the most difficulty of the series, gave length unlike 1(I can admit that the traveling does factor into that but even without that it's more meat on the bone than the 1st), actual boss battles unlike in 1, and less driving like 3. The hate it gets on this forum is silly.

And I like the whole trilogy but 2 still holds up well to this day. Of course avoid the PS4 emulation if possible.

I think Jak 2 is one of the best PS2 games of all time. As hard as it was, Jak 2 was fun as hell and the cutscenes/animations were fluid. The lore got me interested alot.

Here's one: Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time is an influential game than most people realize. It's fluidity of traversal/parkour controls is very responsive and satisfying. The Prince and Farah relationship is one of the best gaming romances of all time.

Last edited:

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I've played all the SimCity games, and the one I enjoy the most and have sunk many, many hours into is SimCity 2013.
It manages to balance breezy city management with free form creative tools in a way that's just right for me.

Try as I might to switch over to fan favourites like SC4 or Cities: Skylines, it never sticks. There's just something so comforting about that game that keeps pulling me back every so often to just doodle out a little city.

Nov 14, 2017
Controversial on ResetEra...
1. FF XV is a great game.
2. DmC is also a good game. But people on here won't give it a chance because of a different Dante lol
3. SoV is also good lol. Yes, I even liked the gameplay aspect more. No Ninja spam + No pair up. And warp/rescue sheningans are fun
4. Luke from Tales of Abyss is one of the best Jrpg protag. Dude gets hate for not being a generic boring protag.
5. RE6 is the best RE game

DmC is a good game, but a BAD devil may cry. That was always the problem.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The Order 1886 was solid game, with it's fair share of issues. If it was longer, with more weapon, boss and enemy variety, along with better collectibles, the game would be fantastic. Even with those issues, it deserves a second chance. The universe is interesting. I'd love a sequel.

Puppeteer is one of the best games on the PS3. It deserves nothing but praise, honestly. Such a shame it never came to PS4. Still not too late

The Switch Pro controller may possibly be the best controller ever made. It just needs a headphone jack.

As a huge Destiny fan, I do want games like Division and Anthem to succeed. But they need to earn it, with fresh, new concepts and mind blowing execution. Half baked ideas, unpolished results just don't cut it. Destiny pretty much created a new sub category of games on console with it's release. I want more games like Destiny, only bigger and better. Bungie needs competition and can't be the only kid on the block offering this type of experience.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
My own: Splinter Cell Conviction's change in gameplay to be more upfront assault rather than tactical stealth was perfect because the gameplay changed with the tone of the narrative. Easily my second favorite Splinter Cel.

Good man. Conviction is highly underrated.

Mine: Transistor is the most innovative RPG(and probably game) of the generation, has the best RPG combat system of all time, and has the best looking art and music of any game this generation(We All Become is only beaten by Torna's battle theme). Segue into Torna's battle theme being the best single song in a game besides A Fleeting Dream.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Dragon Age Inquisition is one of the best games of all time.
"Objectmon" are some of the best Pokemon.
Paladin's Quest is an incredible JRPG.

Last edited:

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018
Multiplayer games can be just as good as single player games.
Dragon Age Inquisition is a great game at its core, especially the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick Time Events aren't awful
They can be thrilling moments with the proper amounts of reactive-ness, feedback and presentation.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Fallout 4 does have serious weaknesses but did a lot of things better than detractors remember: it particularly benefits from strong voice acting and BGM throughout. And the gunplay was fine if not exceptional.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age 2 is a fantastic game only significantly hampered by the short development time. It has some of the best characters in the series, a fleshed our setting and nice change of pace by not being about saving the world.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Deadly Towers is a less awful game than most people think. Sure, it's buggy, obtuse, hard as fuck, and the dungeons you can accidentally fall into can take hours to find your way out of, but the soundtrack is good and the gameplay/controls themselves aren't all that much worse than the average non-Nintendo, non-Capcom NES game.
It wouldn't be my first go-to game if I was going to fire up the NES, but I actually played it again a few years ago so it's not all nostalgia talking.

(I should also add Milon's Secret Castle to this list. AVGN liked to shit all over it, and yes, its level of obtuseness makes Deadly Towers look straightforward by comparison, but the game itself is perfectly fine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.