• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
220px-Super_Dodge_Ball_%28NES_cover%29.JPG

This is one of the best NES games ever released (Top 10 ten easily) and has aged remarkably well save the flickering.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Games are better without trophies because it requires you to play the game for fun and not get bogged down by chores.
I can't speak for everyone but as a former trophy whore, I haven't really cared about them in recent years. Last game I really felt inclined to get all the trophies in was Bloodborne but that's also because it acted as a nice checklist for things to discover that were less emphasized by the main game (like the arcane and hunter tools for example). Plus trophies/achievements can be awesome when they create unique challenges like the legendary Annual from Halo 3 where you had to complete the last mission in 4 player co-op using separate vehicles and a harder checkpoint system. Nobody has ever liked online trophies and those have faded away for the most part. And although many times it feels like a chore list in open world games, it can act as a convenient way to organize the possible side missions and features that may be harder for players to discover by themselves.

All the Halo games are really well made
I haven't played the Wars games or Spartan Ops but I really do feel that there is something phenomenal about each game

CE: Missions 2 through 5 are pretty much unmatched by any game other than parts of Halo 3. Blood Gulch, Beaver Creek, and Sidewinder are the foundations of some of the greatest sequences of maps ever

2: Best set of maps of all time in any game

3: Levels 6 and 7 plus the end of 9 are some of the best sequences I've ever played. Multiplayer is incredible with so many different game modes and Forge is an excellent addition.

ODST: Amazing atmosphere and open world. The best pure single player one since CE plus it's a lot more consistent as a whole.

Reach: The most consistently good campaign in the series. Forge World offers near limitless possibilities. Unbelievably content packed and the daily/weekly challenges gave it even more replayability

4: Campaign has a phenomenal presentation and I really did like the greater emphasis on story even if it isn't easy to understand

5: Combat mechanics are the best in the series and among the best in any shooter I've ever played. Arena is amazing

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Bonus: Halo: Reach is the best Halo game and has the best OST of any game ever released.

Important to clarify: Best single player or best multiplayer? Cause I'd be included to agree that Reach had the best single player campaign in the franchise, but the multiplayer was a bit too unbalanced for my tastes. Halo 5 is the opposite, worst campaign, probably best multiplayer.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Metroid Prime Federation Force is a good game, pretty fun with other people. You just need to pretend it has nothing to do with Metroid.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Mega Man Zero 3 is still the best Mega Man game ever.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is the best Metroid game ever

We are currently in a golden age of indie gaming

Klonoa games are the best platformers

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Quoting myself from another thread
Unpopular opinion: I think that the story and scenario writing of the KH-series is good (besides all this time travel, light vs dark, hearts and bodies talk) , because of the the following reasons:
  • It's one of the few piece of media where someone can talk stuff about "friends are my power", "being consumed by darkness", "light defeats darkness" and gets me emotional
  • It achieves that I care for every single character of this huge ensemble.
  • The devs are skilled enough to use imaginaries and symbolic in impactful ways
  • Details are not being ignored and are getting referenced even after nearly 2 decades
  • The devs know exactly how to effectively use music to increase the emotional impact of scenes
  • They devs are good in using mystery and foreeshadowing things and are able to engage a whole fandom in discussions and theories between titles.
  • And more
Because all of that, yes I consider myself that the writing is good.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Dark Souls 2 is an amazing game, and just as good as the others. Scholar of the First Sin makes it even better.

Final Fantasy X-2s combat/job system needs to return to a mainline game.

The Secret of Mana remake on PS4 is really good (The OST is a mixed bag still)

Grandia XTreme should've been called Grandia 4.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Indies are easily head and shoulders above AAA publishers and developers this gen.
Valkyrie Profile is the best modern jRPG.
LSD is something everyone should try at least once.

the_memer_21

Feb 9, 2019
-Playstation All-Stars, after Smash, Rivals, and Slap City is one of the better platform fighters out there.
-There definitely should be more edutainment games. For example, I really want Oregon Trail, but open-world and with multiplayer.-
-I would like to see a first-person platformer, or a first-person fighting game.
-2017 and 2018 have been some of the best years in gaming so far.
-Even if the only reason you like a game is because of nostalgia, it still can be great.

Last edited:

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Order 1886 laid the foundation for a groundbreaking franchise that has yet to be realized (unless RAD is working on the sequel now.)

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think gaming is in a great place, I've never had more fun playing games than i have this generation, and there are more quality games coming out than I'll ever be able to play.

I just can't get on board with all the doom and gloom, gaming has never been better.

the_memer_21

Feb 9, 2019
-Also, the hate towards games like Sonic '06, or Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric is fair, but it should cloudn't your judgement of other games within their respective franchises.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I sat down and played some Goldeneye earlier after being shown some of Giant Bomb's video content, and honestly, I think it still holds up pretty well. Is it as good as its PC contemporaries or predecessors (Doom, Quake, Half-Life)? No, definitely not - but it's still a pretty solid shooter that controls better than people give it credit for (not to compare the game's quality to RE4's, but you can draw comparisons in how the enemies' behavior and limitations are clearly balanced around the particular ways the control scheme limits you).

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Rare Replay is extremely fun, has one of the best looking presentations for a collection of its type, and is overall one of the Best Xbox One Exclusives besides the Forza Horizon games. Also Rewind made Battletoads playable.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I think Keiji Inafune's Comcept had a hand in creating a couple of this gen's best games in ReCore: Definitive Edition and Soul Sacrifice Delta. I consider both stand-out titles in their respective genre and bold and unique games in this world where few dare to take risks. Maybe I would have had a different tone had I backed Mighty No. 9 with $500 but I was sad to see the company get absorbed/disappear.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Im starting to come around on EA.... give me anything Dead Space related and I'd go back to seeing them in a positive light.

I'm putting my helmet on and bracing for impact.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Dark Souls 2 is amazing, Skyward Sword is the perfect pre-BotW 3D Zelda, Shadow of the Colossus remake faithfully captured the aesthetic of the original and greatly improved on it, The Last Guardian was worth the wait and it's the one of the most unique first party games ever.

EDIT: Also I think I've already posted in this thread before, saying pretty much the exact same thing. Whoops lol

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII-2 's a great game who's only major flaw is that it's the sequel to Final Fantasy XIII.

edit: Jumping on the Skyward Sword train; I love that it tried to incorporate the puzzle-solving aspect of dungeons into it's overworld and it's one of the reasons BotW didn't click with me as the Dungeon to Overworld relationship was entirely divorced from one another.

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 is amazing, Skyward Sword is the perfect pre-BotW 3D Zelda, Shadow of the Colossus remake faithfully captured the aesthetic of the original and greatly improved on it, The Last Guardian was worth the wait and it's the one of the most unique first party games ever.
I
On the note about Skyward Sword, I hope another Zelda can use it's control scheme.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was innovative as fuck with its vehicle creation system, and got maligned because it wasn't a traditional Banjo platformer like people wanted. Had it been a new IP, it would've been well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.