• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Probably more Spongebob. It didn't even premiere until the late 90s.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
My wife is a teacher and I've done some substituting, and man it still seems like Spongebob.

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely adventure time. I worked with kids a few years ago and most of them enjoyed that show

My wife is a teacher and I've done some substituting, and man it still seems like Spongebob.
Honestly the idea of generations is on the way out. The internet gives everyone access to every old TV show and song and movie, and the memes, and remakes of these things.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Adventure Time started the current trend of great, creator-driven cartoons. It also had the dignity to end before it lost too much steam (looking at you Simpsons and Spongebob).

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Adventure Time.

BTW I'm a millennial and Spongebob came out when I was 15. It's not my defining cartoon. It's definitely Simpsons. I'd like to say that should be the millennial cartoon, but maybe it had lost quality/relevancy by the time younger millennials came of age..... damn long generations. I don't think 20 year long generations sync up with eras of TV very well...

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Spongebob came out when I was like 16, either you're wrong or it's confirmed that I don't belong in the millennial category like I've saying this whole time.

For Millennials I'd say South Park is a better choice.

For Gen Z, fuck if I know. Spongebob is better pick for Gen Z than Millennial imo. But really, do they even have one? They just watch YouTube these days instead of TV.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'm Gen Z or Millennial but Spongebob is definitely my pick.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spongebob came out when I was like 16, either you're wrong or it's confirmed that I don't belong in the millennial category like I've saying this whole time.

For Millennials I'd say South Park is a better choice.

For Gen Z, fuck if I know. Spongebob is better pick for Gen Z than Millennial imo. But really, do they even have one? They just watch YouTube these days instead of TV.
I think that's a very good one, because older millennials and younger millennials alike surely had South Park relevant in their teenage life, whether it was 1997 or 2007.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Spongebob came out in 1999, that's not "Millennial defining" for at least half if not more of the stupid generation. Should split between early and late ends of the generation but for most it'd probably be the Simpsons or even South Park.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I was 11 when Spongebob came out and I wouldn't say it defined people my age. The Simpsons did. And if you want to name something that came out later than the Simpsons than it was definitely South Park.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Simpsons really spans multiple generations. Early Simpsons is full of references directed at Boomers and also makes fun of Generation X.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
It's hard to pit Simpsons and Spongebob against each other because those are two different demographics irrespective of time, though Spongebob is certainly a hit with young, especially western bloomers now hitting adulthood. ^^'

As for Gen Z, who knows....

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The Simpsons was a massive thing for us millennial kids when it came out. I know the show itself was geared towards the older crowd, but us kids fell in love with it in part to all the merchandise. The toys, the video games, all that junk was directed at us kids. Will never forget my talking Bart Simpson doll, telling people to eat his shorts.

Also if you are going to pick a Nicktoon to represent millennials it has to be either Ren and Stimpy or Rugrats. Those were the massively popular ones before Spongebob came around. Yes I did watch a lot of Spongebob in the first couple years despite being "too old" for it.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I think alot if you guys are basing your suggestions on teen years. Defining cartoons I would associate with childhood. So I woukd say

Gen X - Scooby Doo, Transformers or Voltron
Millennials - Simpsons, Pokemon or X-men
Gen Z - SpongeBob

Adventure Time and Teen Titans Go would bee my top picks for the next Gen after Z

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
As a Gen Z'er myself I'm gonna go with Spongebob. Literally couldn't escape it as a kid. I was born early enough in the generation though (2001), so for later Gen Z'ers it's probably something like Adventure Time.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
My generations defining cartoon has been chosen and it's... Spongebob?

Lol. Did not see that coming. Never saw an episode.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gen X is Beavis and Butthead or Ren and Stimpy as teens go

Kid age, He-Man, GI Joe, And Transformers

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Millennials were kids in the 80s and 90s, the generation starting in 1981, so The Simpsons more accurately belongs to us, as well as 90s Nicktoons, so I'd say the two definitive cartoons are The Simpsons for older millennials and Spongebob for younger millennials

Gen X was born in the late 60s and the 70s. For early Gen X, the definitive cartoon is probably Scooby Doo, for late Gen X, the Hasbro half-hour toy commercials.

Gen Z being born from the late 90s until about 2 years ago, so early Z'ers hit the peak of childhood in the anime craze of the mid-late 00s and are weebs, late Z'ers are for the new 10s and are defined by Superhero cartoons.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Why are the Simpsons deemed to be the defining show for GEN X? We had tons of cartoons to pick from is it because it's still on air

Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons IS defining for Millennials, 80s/90s kids grew up with that for sure.

Spongebob is actually for both Millennials and Gen Z as it came out in 1999.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The Simpsons IS defining for Millennials, 80s/90s kids grew up with that for sure.

Spongebob is actually for both Millennials and Gen Z as it came out in 1999.
96 was the cutoff point for millenials so the cartoons my brother and I were watching a lot were Spongebob, KND, Billy & Mandy, Fairly Off Parents, and Ed Edd'n Eddy. He and I were born in 95/96 and the stuff we watched was fairly different to those who were born in the 80's.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
have your cake and eat it

maxresdefault.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Gen Z by like a year, but mine is most certainly Spongebob. Does that make me honorary Millenial?

The real answer is probably Adventure Time. I don't really care for it, but it has massively influenced modern cartoons, including one of my all time favorites.

Go Watch OK KO! It's on Hulu! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah