• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 4, 2018
Any cartoon from the Late 2000s onward is culturally/stylistically part of the Gen Z era. 90s-Early 2000s era is Millennial. 70s-80s cartoons are Gen X.

1546738689255.jpg

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spongebob is 100000% the show that defines millennials, at least from my experience. Definitely not The Simpsons.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen Z can keep Spongebob even though the best seasons (1-3+movie) aired in late Millenial territory
but golden age Simpsons (seasons 3-8) was peak animation so that one belongs to us

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Born in 1998 and still have no idea what generation I'm supposed o be in, pretty sure I'm Gen Z since Milennials are supposed to be out of college at this point?

I personally think it's Spongebob.

Oldest millenials were graduating high school in 1998, 1999 actually.

Spongebob is 100000% the show that defines millennials, at least from my experience. Definitely not The Simpsons.

The youngest millenials not the older. Millenials. I was in high school when the show premiered and I wasn't watching it. None of my friends were. It was Simpsons and then moving onto family guy.

Oct 26, 2017
Millennials were kids in the 80s and 90s, the generation starting in 1981, so The Simpsons more accurately belongs to us, as well as 90s Nicktoons, so I'd say the two definitive cartoons are The Simpsons for older millennials and Spongebob for younger millennials

This is the correct answer. I was born in 1981 so I stand on the dividing line between Millennials and Gen Xers. For older Millennials, The Simpsons was definitely the defining cartoon that's aged very well. We watched plenty of other cartoons in the 80s (there were a ton) and things like He-Man, Thundercats, and Ninja Turtles were huge. But most of those cartoons were pure children merchandizing shows that you kind of cringe when you watch it as an adult. Whereas The Simpsons was multi-layered with the merchandizing/toy angle for Millennials, In-Jokes for Boomers, and digs at Gen Xers. When I watch The Simpsons now as an adult I now get all the Boomer/GenX jokes. Even if some of the references are a bit dated, I don't cringe watching it like I would other 80s early 90s cartoons.

I think this is why The Simpsons have moved to the top of the list for most Millennials for the most defining cartoon. All the Simpsons quotes didn't start appearing until the mid-2000s when a good chunk of Milliennials and Gen Xers bought the DVD boxsets and finally got old enough to appreciate and understand all the humor.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Dragon Ball Z is far far far far far far FAR more important than Spongebob to me. Within the genre I was way more into Ren and Stimpy on one side and Arthur on the other.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a depressing lack of The Amazing World of Gumball in most of this thread.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
each time i read through these generational themed threads i always feel like there's a massive difference between 80s millennials and 90s millennials, to the point where you can't categorise them into the same generation

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Being old I have a large selection to choose from
jowc3Bn.gif

I vote adventure Time for Gen z since it blew my niece's mind that I knew about it

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Late Millennials perhaps, but as I and many other early-mid 80's Millennials have said, for us it's The Simpsons, hands down. I was in high school when Spongebob first started airing, nobody my age was watching it.
Late Millennial here. Was 4 when Spongebob first aired. Parents wouldn't let sibling and I watch Simpsons until the 10's.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I also think Pokemon should get a shout-out. I'm a late Millennial so I was already an older teen when Pokemon came out, but I played the original Pokemon Red on the original Gameboy and watched the fist season or two of the TV show since it aired after school when I was doing homework. My kids who are Gen Zers watched the latter Pokemon seasons and movies and play all the current Pokemon games. So I'd argue if not the TV show, the Pokemon franchise has been able to span multiple generations. It's part of the reason why Pokemon GO exploded initially and became such a phenom. Ironically it's now mostly the older Millennials that still play that game.

EDIT: I've also never seen a single episode of Spongebob. Obviously I've heard of it, but it came after my time and it never really looked interesting to me. I think Spongbob is definitely a young Millennial thing with a pretty sharp dividing line.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Spongebob for Millennials? Nah, a lot of us have never even seen it. The Simpsons is more appropriate for Millenials than for Gen X.