• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Corden and Fallon are both annoying on screen but the difference is that people seem to like Fallon as a person off camera and everybody seems to dislike Corden. I remember when he came to the US all the UK folk were like "lol no takey backsies"
His sitcom is one of the most watched programmes so he's probably popular. I guess it's like Ant and Dec where they're very popular, millions of fans but if you're not in that circle, like the rest of the country, you're not afraid of saying you hate them. Celebrity Over exposure to the rest.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
It's because he is like the perfect confluence of that fake person in everyones life that they know is an asshole, but through an elaborate nicey nicey soft act, presents a completely different "likeable and jokey!" persona to the public. He triggers a deep level of mistrust and a fight or flight response in most people that can sense this.

He must have one hell of an agent to be quite honest, because his career looked thoroughly done here in the UK many years ago.
Fuck me you couldn't have described it better.

This is why for me, exactly this. I'm just no where near articulate enough to put that feeling into words.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know the stories about him are true though? Not trying to defend, but if you're every where, some people on the internet will make a lot of shit up about you, of course.

Bit late responding to this post but I've had a couple people who've worked directly with him on some TV and other projects and... well let's just say they'd like to avoid him in the future if at all possible lol

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I've heard some bad things about Corden but also good things. Most of the friends I have that work on the show are pretty happy there.

Pete Holmes, on the other hand, is absolutely awful and nobody has anything good to say about that guy

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He and Fallon seem phony as fuck. It always seems they try way too hard to try and be likable and affable in a way that for most others in their positions comes naturally. Maybe that's not how they are but it's the vibe I get from their shows. Zero genuineness or authenticity. Like the type of person who laughs hysterically (to an over the top degree) at your jokes and then shits on you the moment you walk away.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
He and Kimmel seem phony as fuck. It always seems they try way too hard to try and be likable and affable in a way that for most others in their positions comes naturally. Maybe that's not how they are but it's the vibe I get from their shows. Zero genuineness or authenticity. Like the type of person who laughs hysterically (to an over the top degree) at your jokes and then shits on you the moment you walk away.
Kimmel has that Letterman swagger a tiny bit, but yeah.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
He's Jay Leno without the talent. He also got the job over one of the funniest comedians of all time.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I call bullshit!

Most comedians and writers really like Pete Holmes. I don't think he is a suck up at all, but his act is generally not overly offensive.

I don't know what to tell you. Believe it or don't. I've lived in Los Angeles for 10 years, in comedy and writing circles. I've heard, personally, about a half-dozen awful stories about Pete Holmes being truly terrible to younger/lower people in his orbit, but being a sycophantic choirboy to anyone he thinks could help him.

I saw one such interaction happen in front of my eyes on one production, where he called a younger girl's hair a homophobic slur TO HER FACE and made her cry. It was completely out of bounds and ridiculous. I don't need to hear any justification on it, I was there, I can't prove it, so believe it or don't.

Three comedians I've heard the worst stories about:

Ellen DeGeneres
Pete Holmes
Kumail Nanjiani

Guys like Corden, I know more people in that orbit but haven't heard as many bad things. I think it's more like Corden is like a Jay Leno type where he's a dork and easy to make fun of, but his staff actually likes him. That's not the case as much for Ellen or Pete, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Kumail.

Believe it or don't!

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to tell you. Believe it or don't. I've lived in Los Angeles for 10 years, in comedy and writing circles. I've heard, personally, about a half-dozen awful stories about Pete Holmes being truly terrible to younger/lower people in his orbit, but being a sycophantic choirboy to anyone he thinks could help him.

I saw one such interaction happen in front of my eyes on one production, where he called a younger girl's hair a homophobic slur TO HER FACE and made her cry. It was completely out of bounds and ridiculous. I don't need to hear any justification on it, I was there, I can't prove it, so believe it or don't.

Three comedians I've heard the worst stories about:

Ellen DeGeneres
Pete Holmes
Kumail Nanjiani

Guys like Corden, I know more people in that orbit but haven't heard as many bad things. I think it's more like Corden is like a Jay Leno type where he's a dork and easy to make fun of, but his staff actually likes him. That's not the case as much for Ellen or Pete, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Kumail.

Believe it or don't!
I have a friend who works in the nyc comedy world. A few years ago she told me Jim Gaffigan had been quietly banned from a few NYC comedy clubs for propositioning staff. I didn't give it much credence until her stories about both Charlie Rose and Garrison Keillor came true. Believe it or don't!

So can you share your stories about Ellen?

Also, thanks for reminding me about Believe it or Don't. I haven't thought about that since I was a child.

Mad+023+Wally+Wood+2+002.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I call bullshit!

Most comedians and writers really like Pete Holmes. I don't think he is a suck up at all, but his act is generally not overly offensive.

I've been hearing shit about Holmes for years. Thomas Middleditch and TJ Miller as well, and look where that last one ended up.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I have a friend who works in the nyc comedy world. A few years ago she told me Jim Gaffigan had been quietly banned from a few NYC comedy clubs for propositioning staff. I didn't give it much credence until her stories about both Charlie Rose and Garrison Keillor came true. Believe it or don't!

So can you share your stories about Ellen?

The Ellen stuff I've heard is just that she's a bully to staff, like very cutting and mean-spirited. I can't recall anything specific though, its just something I've heard from different people.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about any of you but I feel like more people should have been honking their horns to get them out off the road. Fucking infuriating.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's successful mainly for being super confident, and that's it, which riles a lot of people up by making them jealous... myself included if i'm honest.

Sure there are stories of him being difficult but that's not why the general populace reacts the way it does.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
He's successful mainly for being super confident, and that's it, which riles a lot of people up by making them jealous... myself included if i'm honest.

Sure there are stories of him being difficult but that's not why the general populace reacts the way it does.

wat

His confidence has nothing to do with it. He just sucks.

Last edited:

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
I don't mind the musical acts or the sunts he does with celebrities, but...

when covid started the monologue on his show started to focus on the crew of the Late Late Show and they are so funny. Everyone is lovable and they seem to have so much fun. It´s really a breath of fresh air. I love it. Those 12-18 minute videos are a must watch for me every morning

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't given him much time but I've also never been impressed by much he's done. The fact that he got Craig Ferguson's slot alone is an impossible act to follow. Ferguson was cranky and sometimes not funny, but he was always great to listen to and was like the only talk show host who stood up for Britney before it was cool to do so.

not saying Corden couldn't win me over but he's like Fallon level bad at times and usually at best from what I've seen unremarkable. Tho I haven't checked out some of the good segments I've heard about in the past year

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The only bit of his I really liked was the fake Beckham statue one, because it pushed Becks to the absolute limit of politeness.

Dec 30, 2020
To quote Frankie Boyle: "Honestly, I just think James Corden should play some smaller venues, because I'm having a hard time finding a crossbow with the necessary range."

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
It's like fate walked into any random UK city centre bar on a Friday night and approached the biggest loudmouth in a group of the most obnoxious, unfunny louts, put their hand on his shoulder and whispered, "I'm going to make you a star."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dude is just not funny at all to the point I actively avoid people like him in real life. But my mother and brother enjoy him and I can't explain why.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I'm surprised he hasn't heard anything about Corden being a dick. Maybe the stories going around are just people shit-stirring. But yeah, he just has a really annoying quality about him.
It's not that he hasn't heard anything, he's just not that bothered by Corden being a dickhead. What he hates is the overexcited act.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Skimmed the thread, so I may have missed someone else already bringing it up, but:

Motherfucker went to a Writers Guild of America meeting to advocate for giving his own writers lower wages.