• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Corden is one of the most universally dunked people in Hollywood. Obviously he has his fans, his show seems quite popular and his YT channel has like 10mil subscribers. But there are also a lot of people who aren't picking up what he's putting down, and really find him grating. Even someone like Jimmy Fallon, who is known for being a bit patronizing to guests with his overzealous laughter and air of phoniness, even he doesn't seem to get the same kind of hate as Corden.

What do you think it is? And if you're a fan, what are people missing?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
From what I gather, there's some stories of him being a dick in private, and difficult to work with on sets.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing I really know about him is carpool karaoke and I find that to be SUPER cringey.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I only know of him because Brad Shoemaker mentioned how much of an asshole James Corden is.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
The one story I hear about the most with him is this one:

The guy tweeting this is a TV writer and Corden himself seems to verify it with his replies to the tweet.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He looks smug and isn't remotely funny or amusing. And he's a cockney.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For me it's that he took over Late Late Show from the most likable, honest and funniest talk show host ever. Ferguson didn't sit there and kiss his celebrity guests asses, and that's all Corden does. I'd argue out of any late night host since, well Fallon I guess, Corden is the biggest star fucker to ever host a show like this and it just gets kind of gross after a while.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Even aside from the stories about him being an awful person, he is an extremely irritating performer. Can't stand him as an actor, voice actor or presenter.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It might be overexposure, he seems to be the same in everything and you don't care for the types of characters he's plays or his persona, in his sitcoms or Doctor Who (which became a Corden sitcom for 2 episodes), you still have to see it in many panels shows, voice over roles and award ceromonies like the Brits and Tony Awards. He probably get some heat because he's overweight too.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
His entire shtick is providing an obnoxious laugh, then repeating actual comedians jokes back to the audience. Utter clown.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I dont think hes unlikeable as you think he is. Of course if you dont like him the internet will generally point you in the direction of the bubble where people dont like him.

I dont like him cause he seems very fake and a Hollywood manufacture.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He is who I point to when I want an easy example as a fake as fuck mother fucker. Dude acts like he's all laughs but nearly every story about people having to interact with him that are not on his level comes off as him being a giant fucking douchenozzle.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I've only seen his show a few times, but he came across to me like someone who's trying very hard to pass as a nice guy, but there just seemed something affected and stagy about it.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
It's because he is like the perfect confluence of that fake person in everyones life that they know is an asshole, but through an elaborate nicey nicey soft act, presents a completely different "likeable and jokey!" persona to the public. He triggers a deep level of mistrust and a fight or flight response in most people that can sense this.

He must have one hell of an agent to be quite honest, because his career looked thoroughly done here in the UK many years ago.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
He just seems like a super bland corporate guy to me. I don't find anything about him to be interesting.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't understand how he has his own show. I don't get the appeal of the guy.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
The claims that the hate is based on him being a bad person behind the scenes is total revisionist history.

The truth is, many, many people were regularly making unnecessarily mean and vitriolic comments about him for no other reason than just thinking he was annoying or not funny or whatever.

The stories about him actually being a crappy person behind the scenes just allowed people to feel justified in saying those things they had already been saying.

But the truth is that a lot of it pre-dated those stories, and had no better explanation than "a lot of people on forums and social media are jerks".

And yeah, some people were positive or neutral on him before the stories about him came out. If that's you, great! I'm acknowledging that you exist, and that you aren't who I'm talking about.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He is who I point to when I want an easy example as a fake as fuck mother fucker. Dude acts like he's all laughs but nearly every story about people having to interact with him that are not on his level comes off as him being a giant fucking douchenozzle.
How do you know the stories about him are true though? Not trying to defend, but if you're every where, some people on the internet will make a lot of shit up about you, of course.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
His entire routine is "look at me with this celebrity!", before proceeding to obnoxiously force himself over said celebrity at every opportunity.

It doesn't matter who the guests are. It's his name above the set and he wants you to know it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't understand how he has his own show. I don't get the appeal of the guy.
I think, and this isn't meant to be fat shaming, but his appearance and not being an edgy comedian, makes him relatable or the way he portrays himself as just a normal lad. Those are the characters he usually played in sitcoms as well.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
corden-cats.jpg

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
His schtick just comes across to me as like extremely milquetoast, bland, lowest common denominator humor without any unique bite or viewpoint. I kind of put him in a bucket with stuff like Ellen and Big Bang Theory. Compulsively inoffensive, idle celebrity worship, empty late-night pleasantness. I don't know maybe that sounds elitist or cynical, but it's just how I feel when I watch or listen to him.

...I honestly prefer Fallon, if I had to choose. At least he's got The Roots

I'll defer to others on how true or false the stories of him being an asshole are, I'm just judging his general media presence and comedy.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
He is very successful but doesn't seem to have much talent at all, he's annoying and not funny. Simple as that.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I mean if you live in So cal and have even the smallest bit of connection to any industry person... you know who the asshole celebs are and who the nice ones are. It's one of the most talked about elements of Hollywood

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
For me it's that he took over Late Late Show from the most likable, honest and funniest talk show host ever. Ferguson didn't sit there and kiss his celebrity guests asses, and that's all Corden does. I'd argue out of any late night host since, well Fallon I guess, Corden is the biggest star fucker to ever host a show like this and it just gets kind of gross after a while.
This. The guy came from out of nowhere and replaced the best late-night talk show host after Conan left network TV. Like I hadn't even heard of him before he replaced Craig Ferguson and all of a sudden he was everywhere, like he was just handed this success that other late-night hosts like Letterman, Conan, and Ferguson had to fight tooth-and-nail to get.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
How do you know the stories about him are true though? Not trying to defend, but if you're every where, some people on the internet will make a lot of shit up about you, of course.
Obviously no one without direct experience with him can know for sure but there are a lot of famous people (even ones that receive a lot of hate for other reasons) that don't have a huge number of stories being circulated about what a huge asshole they are. Especially when so many of them from different sources have a common theme of treating lower-level staff like shit and considering himself above them. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.