• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm currently watching Vinnyvania on GiantBomb and really want to play something like it.

I'd like to be able to level up, pick up new weapons and have tons of places to explore and stuff to unlock.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Not many that I can think of that have leveling up... but Hollow Knight and Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight have tons of equipment to try out like SotN does.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to Metroidvanias, enjoy your stay.

Hollow Knight is the best you can do on Switch, even if there's no leveling per se. Also, though it's not a 'vania, a content-rich roguelike like Binding of Isaac can scratch a lot of the same itches.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Quite frankly on switch nothing comes close.

Hollow Knight is amazing but is more Metroid than Castlevania. On vita and ps4 you have TimeSpinner. Otherwise get a gba and play Castlevania Aria of Sorrow which is even better than SOTN.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight doesn't necessarily play like SotN but it was the first game in a very long while to remind me of what it felt like playing SotN the first time.

In terms of a more direct comparison, that Momodora game that just came out on Switch looks like it might scratch that itch, but I can't vouch for it myself as I haven't played it.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hollow Knight...Come thank us all later.

Just curious: Have you played any of the GBA or DS ones?

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Another vote for Timespinners from what I can see.
IIRC in Hollow Knight you never pick up new weapons/equipment, just enhancements/mutators to your default sword swipe.

Edit: oops, apparently it isn't on switch. In that case... Nothing really.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Switch is full of awesome Metroidvanias like Dandara and Axiom Verge but .... closest to SOTN ? Maybe ... is momodora out yet ?

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I seriously still believe Sony scooped up the rights to make SOTN exclusive to PS4 at the last minute of the Castlevania smash reveal but Hollow knight.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is the closest looking game I've played to SOTN. Hollow Knight is very good but I think Bloodstained is more of a homage

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm currently watching Vinnyvania on GiantBomb and really want to play something like it.

I'd like to be able to level up, pick up new weapons and have tons of places to explore and stuff to unlock.

If you want a Castlevania-style game, play Bloodstained Curse of The Moon, that's the closest game.

If you want a good metroidvania, Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight are great picks.

Last edited:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah but Momodora is SotN with less RPG and Less weapon diversity ...but with girls everywhere

It is not "this is close to SotN" but i is probably the closest =P

Yeah pretty much SOTN light, minus all the cool weapons and powers. It does offer difficulty challenges for those who enjoy that.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Good idea.

Axiom Verge
Hollow Knight
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon
Steam world Dig 2
Shantae
Wonder Boy Dragons Trap
Shovel Knight

Yeah you are only missing Dandara and Momodora from the famous ones xD
do you have anything against brazilian indies ? ¬¬

hehe

But Dandara could not be more different from any other metroidvania so Momodora it is

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Wait until Bloodstained releases. It is a spiritual successor to SotN.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it but Chasm is heavily inspired by SotN. It has randomized map layouts but it's randomized for each new game, not everytime you play. I heard mix things. Some people are fine with it while others think the randomized levels are bland.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I already said this as sort of a joke, but if that's what you're looking for then your best bet really is Dark Souls. It's 3D instead of 2D but it takes everything you mentioned straight from Symphony. Imagine Symphony mixed with Majora's mask basically.

You're gonna have a hard time with most explicit Metroidvanias since the vast majority (despite the name) are straight Metroid-likes and take very little from the Castlevania side, which is what you're looking for.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Boy, Steamworld Dig 2, and Hollow Knight are an amazing trio of games that will scratch your itch big time.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
SotN is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for anyone who doesn't know or forgot like me and trying to remember it without searching on google. People really should, at least once mention the full name of the games.

Sorry, don't have anything else to contribute to the thread other than that :) Just spent 5 minutes going "Shadow of th... no. Soul of th .. no"

nautone

Oct 16, 2018
Austin, TX
I haven't played it but Chasm is heavily inspired by SotN. It has randomized map layouts but it's randomized for each new game, not everytime you play. I heard mix things. Some people are fine with it while others think the randomized levels are bland.

Yup, Chasm was the closest I could think of as well, the backdash, weapons, and subweapons are all basically copy/pasted from SOTN. That said, I do have trouble recommending. I was fine with the randomized environments, but the last chunk of the game draaaaaaags.