• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hollow Knight fanbase is crazy. It is nothing like SotN, especially when the OP is talking about picking up new weapons, presumably of a similar number / diversity as SotN, as something they'd like to experience

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
On Switch there aren't that many good releases yet even if there's Yoku's Island was incredibly refreshing and Salt&Sanctuary which is coming. There's also Shantae and the pirate's curse which is great. I can't tell you for the monster boys because I haven't played them.

If you have a PC, there are plenty of stellar indie metroidvanias that didn't get as much attention as they would nowadays.
>Aquaria
>Environmental Station Alpha
>Valdis Story
>La-Mulana 1 and 2
>Rabi-Ribi

On emulator you can easily play the castlevanias
>Aria of Sorrow
>Circle of the Moon
>Harmony of Dissonance
For DS, there's
>Portrait of Ruin
>Down of Sorrow
>Order of Eclesia

Among the other less known metroidvanias, there's Kirby and labyrinth of mirrors which is incredibly refreshing.

Also, less traditionnaly "metroidvanias" there are
>Rain World which is an incredible 2D non linear platformer (super hard though)
>Teslagrad which has every elements of the metroidvanias but is a bit too railroaded.
>Cave Story which is the same

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just booted up Axiom Verge last night so that from a mechanics point of view. If you want the feel of SOTN then Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Chasm but from what I've watched it looks close. I'm curious how people liked it, I've been interested for a while.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Chasm by far. It's also very disappointing though. It plays and feels just like the SotN Metroidvanias. The devs modeled it's game play, movement and attack animations directly after it. The game itself is procedurally generated and not in a good or interesting way. That's not to say the level design is terrible, but it's uninspired and cookie cutter.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing like SoTN on any console besides the other Igavanias.