• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Top 40 ones tend to sound the same. Probably because it's all the same producer.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Pop Music is a genre with sub-genres. Pop music isn't just "music that charts", it's a defined umbrella genre. These artists are everything from synthpop to art pop to hypongogic pop to electropop to glitch pop to baroque pop to futurepop to progressive pop to power pop and so on and so on.

If you're not familiar with genres and stuff that doesn't make any of this music not pop, it's just a lack of knowledge of how music is categorized.

minor edit: also this isn't a new modern thing as well, even something like Pet Sounds is a combination of baroque pop, sunshine pop, progressive pop, and psyche pop.
Both your definition of pop and the definition "music that charts" are valid ways of thinking about the genre. But when talking about what's actually broadly culturally relevant, as the OP and others seem to be, the second is more appropriate.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Nobody actually likes Pop Music, everyone collectively tolerates it so shopping malls get away with playing it as white noise as you're looking for vegetables, also applicable for work spaces where everyone tolerates it equally while not playing their own taste over the speakers. ;P

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think we had something like Hounds of Love by Kate Bush in the last two decades, but pop music overall got a lot better. 2019 alone was amazing.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Is the study linked in the OP that one penned by engineers with zero background in music that uses a flawed database as their primary source of data?

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Lower in quality is pretty subjective. There is plenty of good pop in the current era (Slayyyter, Black Dresses, TR/ST, Solange, ABRA, George Clanton, The Beths, Charly Bliss, Kero Kero Bonito, Rina Sawayama, Perfume Genius, Crying, Lemon Demon, Kimbra, Weyes Blood, FKA Twigs, Charli XCX, 3776, Glass Beach, Yeule, literally dozens and dozens of others)

I think it's maybe more you just aren't familiar with a lot of music? Not trying to be condescending but so much good music comes out every year in all genres and I usually only hear "man current music sucks" from people who don't actually listen to a lot of new music.
Literally who are any of these acts? I think OP is talking about top 40 music. Which definitely sucks.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism leads to less risks. It's all been exacerbated by a better objective understanding of how to write, structure, produce, promote and distribute songs for maximum profit.

There's great pop out there, but it doesn't have nearly the reach of the stuff that is made to be at the absolute top.

Pop turned into a min/max competition.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Charli XCX, Carly Rae Jepsen, Ariana Grande, and Kacey Musgraves all put out amazing albums this decade. All genres have good and bad artists. Pop isn't any different.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
no, see, that doesn't count because it doesn't use the specific definition of pop music i want, which is "stuff i hear on the radio that i don't like"

anyway, stream king princess's new hit album cheap queen

even then there are fun pop rap bangers in the top 40 rn so idk, i think this really is people just not listening to stuff

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Easy to make, easy to market, gets stuck in your head, and then easy to move on the next thing to repeat the cycle with

It's pure capitalism.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Off the top of my head I could only name Tori Amos and Melissa Etheridge. Or maybe Jewel like 90% of the time? I dunno.

None of those people were as big as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Madonna, etc.

edit: forgot Sheryl Crow but again not as big of a name at all
Except those three are not really pop, by genre or top 40 definition. I would argue Sheryl Crow isn't either.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
no, see, that doesn't count because it doesn't use the specific definition of pop music i want, which is "stuff i hear on the radio that i don't like"

anyway, stream king princess's new hit album cheap queen
I don't know why you're hand waving

I would make the claim that top 40 music is different from pop music.

Some music is definitely min/maxed to be as profitable as possible. That's just capitalism. The songs we see topping billboards Have been engineered by a team of people to be drilled into the minds of the listener.

Of course not all top 40 music is like this, but I would wager that acts like Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, Billie Eilish, etc definitely fall into this category.

smaller acts may use musical conventions that superstar acts use (and often times use them better) which qualifies them as pop music, but I would not qualify them as top 40 contenders.

Excuse any typos/grammatical errors, on mobile

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Nobody actually likes Pop Music, everyone collectively tolerates it so shopping malls get away with playing it as white noise as you're looking for vegetables, also applicable for work spaces where everyone tolerates it equally while not playing their own taste over the speakers. ;P

This is like the dumpster fire of hot takes.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you're hand waving

I would make the claim that top 40 music is different from pop music.

Some music is definitely min/maxed to be as profitable as possible. That's just capitalism. The songs we see topping billboards Have been engineered by a team of people to be drilled into the minds of the listener.

Of course not all top 40 music is like this, but I would wager that acts like Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, Billie Eilish, etc definitely fall into this category.

smaller acts may use musical conventions that superstar acts use (and often times use them better) which qualifies them as pop music, but I would not qualify them as top 40 contenders.

Excuse any typos/grammatical errors, on mobile

Perhaps OP should have said Top 40 Music instead of Pop then.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Except those three are not really pop, by genre or top 40 definition. I would argue Sheryl Crow isn't either.

I'm sure they've all had at least one song in the top 40.

But you're just strengthening my point that there was a lack of non-sexualized female pop/top 40 musical talent in the 80s and 90s if even those don't count.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
It's mindless content so you don't really have to think about anything but still decent enough to dance to at the club

Oct 28, 2017
I like Kero Kero Benito, Billie Eilish, CHVRCHES, fka twigs, and Carly Rae Jepsen

Isn't rap music also just pop music? How popular is Danny brown?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pop artists are "over sexualized" since always (Madonna?). Parents shouldn't take kids to inappropriate concerts.

OP
OP
Combo

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Huh? In what world? Please name any pop singer from the 80s/90s that was famous and didn't have alot of sex and sexuality in their hit songs besides Debbie Gibson maybe? Wilson Phillips? Are we really going there?

The first person that comes to mind Celine Dion.

The lyrics were not so sexual as today. The focus was more on romance.

The study sample consisted of the top 40 songs of Billboard Year End Hot 100 single songs for every 5 years from 1971 to 2011 (N = 360). There was a linear decrease over time in the proportion of songs with a love theme and in the proportion of songs with a combination of lust and love themes. In contrast, there was a significant increase in the proportion of songs with a theme focusing on lust in the absence of love.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure it's more sexualized? The 90s and 2000s were pretty much filled with that shit, doesn't seem much different to me now in that regard.
I kinda feel this way too. 90s and 00s music seemed too try-hard, IMO. Not all music, but the ones that did seemed like they were compensating for something they didn't believe were a part of 80s music. It was like, "Aw fuck it! 80s was too friendly and unoffensive, it's time to get ugly and NASTAY!"

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man. I listen to a vast variety of genres, and very little of it ends up on Top 40.

I will say though, what's happening in the Australian rock scene is something special.

Jun 10, 2018
I certainly don't get it. Instead of listening to beautifully crafted electronica tunes with sophisticated use of ambience, white noise, and busy beats people would rather settle for the far more simple watered down imitations in recent pop stylings.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So easy to access different types of music than it used to be that gotta do mass appeal drivil because if you don't you won't be making much money as tastes are too spread out across the other stuff as people don't need settle for next closest thing anymore. And it has of course been run into the ground. It not just pop that suffered this.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
So easy to access different types of music than it used to be that gotta do mass appeal drivil because if you don't you won't be making much money as tastes are too spread out across the other stuff as people don't need settle for next closest thing anymore. And it has of course been run into the ground. It not just pop that suffered this.
Music revenue has also never recovered since the fall of music sales. Streaming has brought it up a little, but it's still a far smaller number than when people bought physical records. With less money to be made, there's a lower desire for a risk.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel this way too. 90s and 00s music seemed too try-hard, IMO. Not all music, but the ones that did seemed like they were compensating for something they didn't believe were a part of 80s music. It was like, "Aw fuck it! 80s was too friendly and unoffensive, it's time to get ugly and NASTAY!"

80's music was very offensive, especially to Christian groups on both sides. Are we really fotgetting the PMRC and the filthy 15 list?

1c3ee82ae6e3edc9f5d391c890fd6321.jpg

Granted 80's pop music is still better than everything after.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Good question. I don't know. I wish I had been able to avoid pop music from the last 5 years. I just don't like it. It's sad. It's annoying. It's repetitive. Scientifically manufactured earworms. And overall it's just thinly veiled songs for teens about sex, drugs, and partying that glorify self-popularity. None of it appeals to me at all.