• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to look for something to sample in my music library right now, and I decided to glance at Brandy Norwood's 2nd album, "Never Say Never". I immediately remembered how much I loved this album's production & engineering, especially compared with her other work. It stands out tonally, too... much more somber & sadder than any of her other music.

So, what are some standouts for you guys? Some of mine, or at least what comes to mind, at the moment:

• Brandy - Never Say Never
  • Dr. Dre - The Chronic 2001 (Dre has a rare talent in modern Hip-Hop production: the ability to take the simplest of melodies & instrumentation, and mix the S H I T out of it. This album still provides a lot of inspiration for me. Also, "The Next Episode" & "Still D.R.E." might be the best fucking things Dre's ever been responsible for.)
  • 50 Cent - The Massacre (The only "ehhh" beat on this joint is the "Gatman & Robbin" joint with Eminem... that shit aged like old milk. But literally every other track has some fire production. "Candy Shop" & "Just A Lil' Bit" sound dope in the car, and tracks like "In My Hood", "Ski Mask Way", & "Guns Come Out" got that gritty sound I like from 50's music. Also, "Ryder Music" is one of the greatest beats ever fucking made, don't @ me.)
  • Jaylib - Champion Sound (This album holds a special place in my heart, as it was one of the first albums that took me on a deep dive into boom-bap rap. It was also the very first time I ever heard J Dilla & Madlib. The back & forth between smooth head-nodders like "The Red" or "Raw Shit", and gritty shit like "The Official" & "Heavy" was an amazing experience for me.)
  • Nas - Illmatic (I mean, I'd be dumb as fuck if I didn't mention one of the best rap albums ever made. I could pick any track on this album, really. But to me, "Life's a Bitch" is a required listen for anyone looking to get into Hip-Hop in general, as that beat is a basically a dream.)
  • Gang Starr - Moment of Truth (DJ Premier is the fucking king. This album features some of my favorite beats ever... "Above The Clouds", "Moment of Truth", "What I'm Here 4", "My Advice 2 You", "Make Em Pay"... man, I get goosebumps listening to this album.)
  • Kanye West - Graduation (I don't think, out of every other album I've picked out thus far sans Illmatic, there's a single album that doesn't have a single weak beat on it other than this one. Even the worst Kanye song ever made, "Barry Bonds", had a fire beat.)
  • J Dilla - Ruff Draft (This is my favorite solo Dilla joint. Every beat on this shit is smooth & soulful.)
  • T.I. - King (It's pretty top-heavy in terms of production, but most of the beats are great. But it's the Just Blaze joints that are particularly primetime listening. "I'm Talkin' To You", in particular, is so fucking crazy it makes me wanna bitchslap the Pope.)
  • Drake - Take Care (Drake, if nothing else, has a great ear for production. He knows how to pick a sound to fit whatever he goes for on a particular track. From the softer shit like "Over My Dead Body", to slappers like "We'll Be Fine", this album has something from everyone. Also, my favorite thing to do is to skip 75% of "Lord Knows" to get to Rick Ross's verse so I can hear the godly production of Just Blaze. The whole beat is amazing, but Drake's contribution to it is basically unacceptable.)
  • Jay-Z - American Gangster (This is basically one of two albums that spits in the face of the notion that Jay's post-retirement output has been garbage, and the production is probably the biggest reason why. Diddy, in particular, makes this album sing. But every beat is great, even the Pharrell joint "I Know" is good. Which says something, because PW's production can be hit or miss... he can either make a street banger or something that sounds like it belongs in a cheesy champagne commercial.)

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
hw59g2k.jpg

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If we're talking hip-hop, Metro Boomin, 21 Savage, and Offset - Without Warning is amazing all around to me. Metro in general is really consistent, but he brought it up to another level on this one. Astroworld, El Gato, and JEFFERY are also really good as far as modern hip-hop stuff goes.

Other genres:

Autechre in general are consistently amazing in terms of their sound design. I think LP5, Draft 7.30, and Oversteps in particular stand out in terms of production values, but you could pick any release of theirs at random and it would sound amazing.

Aphex Twin - Syro (along with Cheetah and Collapse EPs) are fucking pristine in their sound

Drum n Bass in general has some really amazing engineers, but I would point to Photek - Modus Operandi and Current Value - 2012: The Day of Silence really stand out.

Objekt - Flatland is really just crazy in terms of sound design. On a similar note, Jon Hopkins - Singularity has really strong production values, even if I don't really fuck with his music all that much.

One final shoutout to Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season for being overall the most textured and detail piece of music I've ever heard.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Nsync's Celebrity.

I know--I wouldn't count it as my favourite production, but that album is ridiculous. It's kind of overwhelming.

I also love J. Dilla's and Brandy's, and American Gangster is slick.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not hip hop, but the Monsters of Folk record always stands out to me as being absolutely gorgeously recorded:

Mike Mogis is amazing.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Boston's first album never ceases to amaze me, personally, especially since I think the main dude did most of it at his home studio or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Boston's first album never ceases to amaze me, personally, especially since I think the main dude did most of it at his home studio or something?
This is a good choice, and yes from some quick reading it appears it was recorded in a basement studio. They basically had to trick the label that signed them into thinking they were recording on the west coast so they wouldn't get overruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDR5jmCXOg

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it comes from the 1980s since that was a specific zeitgeist where the outlook on the then-new digital (and improved analog) technology allowing for clean pristine recordings with higher dynamic range was valued much higher since it was this utopian, unattainable thing in the previous decades. Scritti Politti - Provision being one of my all time favs with super crisp production.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
UICY-78313_JOh_extralarge.jpg

Breakfast in America - Supertramp

That was my first thought, but I like the self titled RatM suggestion, too.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
as far as engineering and mastering goes, Random Access Memories is the best album I've ever heard. everything sounds so clear

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Recently was listening to Parallax II by BTBAM and it's really fucking well made.

The_Parallax_II_Future_Sequence_-_Between_the_Buried_and_Me.jpg

All their albums have solid production from Alaska onwards.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
CS657851-01A-BIG.jpg

Some people think this is way too over-engineered, preferring Pyromania or the much rawer sounds of On Through The Night or High 'n' Dry, but Hysteria for me is top-tier Leppard. It's well documented how long it took to make (not helped by drummer Rick Allen losing his arm in a car crash), and how expensive it was, with guitarist Phil Collen saying that it needed to sell five million copies just to break even. The concept originally was to make another Thriller, and Lange took the approach of making every song a potential hit single, giving it a lighter sound than the heavy metal of the three previous albums. Each member of the band was recorded seperately instead of all together. One reviewer noted that their approach to this album took, "a painstaking obsession with dense sonic detail". They would do odd things to get a unique sound out of it, like reversing their own chorus from Gods of War in the previously posted Rocket - the opening sound is them singing "We're fighting with the Gods of War" in reverse. Similar sounds are sprinkled throughout.

I'll never forget the moment I first heard the album and band both, standing in a friend's bedroom reading a comic while he threw a tape into his little red ghettoblaster. "Who's that?!" I asked. "Oh, that's Def Leppard" he said nonchalantly while I stood rooted to the ground listening. It sounded like nothing I'd heard before or since, and turned me onto one of my favourite bands.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle Earth" takes it for me. Something about how each song and spoken portion all flow into one another and the general quality of the sound engineering on the studio versions of the songs themselves has always blown me away.

Ideally start the second song the exact moment the first video ends...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
A perfect encapsulation of vintage disco as experienced from the eyes of a "robot" that is trying to make sense of the world around it.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
A masterful example of how sampling can be employed as an art form.

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
One of the best IDM albums period. Amazing textures. I would also list his follow up album Singularity here. Just listen to the song Collider.

Soilwork - The Living Infinite
This band has mastered the art of cleanly produced melodic death metal that still sounds heavier than the competition, and the production buoys the band's incredible lead singer.

Madvillain - Madvillainy
Madlib is a genius, and Doom is a master wordsmith. Not much to say about this one that hasn't already been said.

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
The sanitized production on this prog album helps convey a feeling of ennui in this restless concept piece. I love it.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last couple of Steven Wilson albums. Everything else that's mainstream to me sounds overcompressed to the point of audible clipping.

Deleted member 20066

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
88acfc8bbbd077673678638e2bc17e5b38f7e302

The bass on this is my absolute favorite. I just love the raw-like sound of everything on this album honestly. Everything compliments each other.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Also everything produces by Richie Hawtin aka Plastikman, in 2012 Hawtin was involved in music production seminars.

Albums like Consumed, Closer or EX are pretty perfects in term of production.

Jun 10, 2018
Electronica is what impresses me more on a production level in recent years than any other classification of musicc.

Standouts for me:
L.A.O.S. - Finally
Madeon - Adventure
Fred V & Grafix - Cinematic Party Music
Brookes Brothers - Orange Lane
Pendulum - In Silico

Plus countless individual tracks from those and other artists I can spend all day listing.

To that end, I've heard tracks in other genres which match the level of production I hear in electronica (like, say for instance, Lupe Fiasco's "Little Death" or Garbage's "Parade"), but IMO its not anywhere near as consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Loveless by MBV. Absolutely stellar and sometimes too obsessive production.

Gish and Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins. Was mixed and produced by the same dude who did Nevermind.

And of course any God damn Steely Dan album.