• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is a master class in engineering and sound design. It's amazing what they were able to accomplish back then with 1/100th of the tech that is available today.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I love all three of those Lips albums, but it is amusing that you complained about the loudness war and then chose three records by a band that was in the vanguard.

You are accurate with that, funny enough. I think I may be too forgiving to them on it, but their whole style always seemed to me like "wall of sound" on steroids, as if their soundscape was developed and mixed with that in mind. I love it :P

I hate it with a lot of other albums, however. Probably why I tend to listen to mostly downbeat, slow, quiet songs 90% of the time.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe I also forgot to mention Ricardo Villalobos. His product is consistently out of this world

And to jump to a completely different genre, I can't imagine trying to build, layer, mix and keep together tunes such as...

I've found that found really busy, breakcore-style tracks, the layering/mixing is generally pretty easy since there's not usually more than a couple things going on at any given second. The amount of effects and arrangement, on the other hand, is almost certainly a nightmare. Related vid: https://vimeo.com/223378825

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, the new Murder by Death album (The Other Shore) most recently.

I hear each individual string theoughout the songs. It's so layered but tight, crisp and atmospheric. I'm always talking about that aspect of the album.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Best mixing and mastering I've ever heard was on Perfume Genius - No Shape from last year.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are accurate with that, funny enough. I think I may be too forgiving to them on it, but their whole style always seemed to me like "wall of sound" on steroids, as if their soundscape was developed and mixed with that in mind. I love it :P

I hate it with a lot of other albums, however. Probably why I tend to listen to mostly downbeat, slow, quiet songs 90% of the time.

I've found that vinyl masters are occasionally more dynamic than their digital counterparts. Though I have at least a few records that are just as harsh.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I've found that vinyl masters are occasionally more dynamic than their digital counterparts. Though I have at least a few records that are just as harsh.

I have heard this as well. I think the Alice in Chains album from a little while back and the second to last Metallica album were both mixed in a more organic way for their vinyl masters, to the point where people were ripping vinyls to listen to digitally instead of the tracks as they came from the record label.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Side of the Moon. Engineered by Alan Parsons. Still a production benchmark over 40 years later.

I probably watched that Behind the Music episode 20 times. They production and design of that album is flawless. Stands to reason that it has stood the test of time so well. Many of their other albums are amazing, too, but nothing touches DSotM

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
Bit of a cheat (as it's a modern remix) but the Steve Wilson remix of Yes - Fragile is well worth listening to if you love the original.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
To inject some much needed pop into this thread:

Bangerz is pop perfection.
220px-Bangerz.png

only followed by Fergie's Dutchess.
220px-The_Dutchess.png

And Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster.
220px-Lady_Gaga_-_The_Fame_Monster_%28alternative%29.png

OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
An addendum to show some love to some EDM joints.

I'll admit that I'm not super into EDM in the general sense, so it takes a particular sound to grab my attention. Usually softer, mellow shit.

With that said, I wanna show some love to a few tracks I've heard over the years.

Mojo - Across the Pond

I really love how smooth & stable this track is compared to most dubstep I've heard.

Bingo Players - Cry (Just A Little)

This sample is fucking dope, and the bit with the synths in the back gives me goosebumps.

As far as EDM albums go, I gotta give a shoutout to Alison Wonderland. Her album "Run" is so fire. I wish I would've discovered her sooner; alas, I never heard of her until her appearance on the NBA 2K17 soundtrack.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
2 phenomenal sounding Jazz albums...

McCoy Tyner - New York Reunion
Dave Weckl - Live and Very Plugged In

These are the albums I show off great headphones with.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I consider good production to be something that really achieves what it's trying to do acoustically. When you can hear the different elements clearly, and at the correct levels, without any one element overriding anything else (unless that's the intent, although it rarely works out like that). Crisp percussion, warm textures on softer instruments like strings, depth to trumpets or woodwind, and vocals that either aren't washed out or overbearing, etc.

It's also means knowing what you're trying to achieve tonally; whether you want the sound to feel close and intimate, like the singer is right there next to your ear, or if it's some massive, concert/arena sound.
Hmm cool, thank you. With all that in mind I really have to give it to Queen B:

I've recently found myself really impressed by Rui Ho, mobilegirl, Arca, Shy Girl, Lyzza, Sophie, and more. There's a lot of talent blowing up right now.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Pink Floyd, the sheer brilliance at how they mixed everything and how they made the songs flow from one to another without breaking and bridged the gaps with sound effects/ambience and everything, truly masterful.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Dark Side of the Moon is a standout, as is Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. I also love the production on every Radiohead and Tame Impala album.

A Robot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dillinja - Cybotron was the peak of rough drum & bass sound. After that the sound has moved to a more clinical sound that I don't find as appealing.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Honestly, in terms of how good the mastering sounds/tastefulness of the arrangements I think my clear winner is...

roxy-music-avalon.jpg

(Roxy Music- Avalon)

a lot of the albums in here are great but have really bad engineering/mastering.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Owl City's "All Things Bright and Beautiful" is the best synthpop album of all time and the production is downright unbelievable. Some of the best in the art form. Example...

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Steely Dan - Aja
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
Outkast - ATLiens
Usher - Confessions
Drake - Nothing Was The Same
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
Young Thug - Barter 6
Future - Dirty Sprite 2

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories and Discovery. hard to pick just one.
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Radiohead - Kid A
Bjork - Post
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Dr. Dre - 2001
Sade - Love Deluxe

those are what come to mind immediately. I am definitely a child of the 1990s.

Also, I have a lot of love for the mixing / engineering on Coheed and Cambria's Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV record from 2005. Everything sounds super punchy and clear. I still have a lot of fun with this one.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CS657851-01A-BIG.jpg

Some people think this is way too over-engineered, preferring Pyromania or the much rawer sounds of On Through The Night or High 'n' Dry, but Hysteria for me is top-tier Leppard. It's well documented how long it took to make (not helped by drummer Rick Allen losing his arm in a car crash), and how expensive it was, with guitarist Phil Collen saying that it needed to sell five million copies just to break even. The concept originally was to make another Thriller, and Lange took the approach of making every song a potential hit single, giving it a lighter sound than the heavy metal of the three previous albums. Each member of the band was recorded seperately instead of all together. One reviewer noted that their approach to this album took, "a painstaking obsession with dense sonic detail". They would do odd things to get a unique sound out of it, like reversing their own chorus from Gods of War in the previously posted Rocket - the opening sound is them singing "We're fighting with the Gods of War" in reverse. Similar sounds are sprinkled throughout.

I'll never forget the moment I first heard the album and band both, standing in a friend's bedroom reading a comic while he threw a tape into his little red ghettoblaster. "Who's that?!" I asked. "Oh, that's Def Leppard" he said nonchalantly while I stood rooted to the ground listening. It sounded like nothing I'd heard before or since, and turned me onto one of my favourite bands.

This! It was literally what the band envisioned which was a Hard Rock version of Thriller where every song on it could be a hit.

So much is understated how this album pushed what was possible with the technology at the time. The album even pushed vinyl as far as it could go at the time as the album was over 60 minutes long which was unheard of for a single vinyl release.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
as far as engineering and mastering goes, Random Access Memories is the best album I've ever heard. everything sounds so clear

I got myself a lossless MP3 player (Hiby R6) and re ripped that album in FLAC and wowwww the production really is something else.

My contender: Trilogy by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. The drums are so beefy, clear and precise all at the same time, while piano keys thunder. Its production, especially for 1972, is breathtaking

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
For piano music, Louis Lortie's recording of Liszt's complete Années de pèlerinage for Chandos is peerless for sound quality.

Apr 10, 2018
The second Blake Mills solo album, titled Heigh Ho, sounds incredible. It was recorded in Studio B at Ocean Way and basically just captures world class musicians supporting some absolutely amazing songs. I rarely go a week without listening to it, at least a few tracks anyway.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is a master class in engineering and sound design. It's amazing what they were able to accomplish back then with 1/100th of the tech that is available today.
That's why Dark Side of the Moon has spend 937 weeks on Billboard Top 200 Album chart. No other album comes even close to that record. Alan Parsons engineered a work of art that has been considered the studio production standard for decades.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Steely Dan - Aja
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
The Avalanches - Since I Left You.

I'd add Wildflower to the list as well but the Avalanches left a TON of glitchy high pitched tones in the final product that make it unbearable to listen to above certain volumes.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's either

Get the Knack by The Knack or Evil Empire by Rage Against The Machine

Evil Empire in particular sounds like you're in a room with these guys. The way that record opens is insane.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Madonna-Confessions-on-a-Dance-Floor.png

also YES at Brandy Never Say Never OP. Full Moon is also up there. What really makes Full Moon is not only the darkchild production is insane but brandy's background vocals along with it.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
71nPg7LQQtL._SY355_.jpg

71I5kJS%2BdsL._SY355_.jpg

Accept no substitutes.
Yo, are you me? This right here ya'll. Production is off the charts on these albums.

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Radiohead - Kid A

I would add Aphex Twin - Drukqs

Also everything produces by Richie Hawtin aka Plastikman, in 2012 Hawtin was involved in music production seminars.

Albums like Consumed, Closer or EX are pretty perfects in term of production.
Also this.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
out-blue-band.jpg

Not my favorite album of all time or anything but it is absolutely a masterclass in songwriting and sound engineering.

Honorable mentions:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Nirvana - In Utero

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
These albums define perfection to me:

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Earth, Wind & Fire - That's the Way of the World
Parliament - Mothership Connection

I have a bigger list for jazz albums but it's not really worth mentioning here.