• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
All movies over 2.5 hours EXCEPT Wolf of Wall Street.
there is some sort of wormhole that opens when that moviesplaying that makes it feel like 2 hours instead of 3.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I watched it was my then girlfriend while resolving feelings of a different girl, then SHE broke up with me a year later and now that movie is a big pile of nope for me

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Gone with the Wind is like this for me. I like it but I can only watch it after a very long time.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Schindler's List for me. It's a damn great film but that movie was hard enough for me to watch once that I can't see myself watching it again.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eternal Sunshine for me too. I loved it, but it was so heartbreaking.

Dancer in the Dark is another good one.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Kinda felt that way about Joker because it was so uncomfortable. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is an excellent movie, but I don't think I can bring myself to watch it again because I found it too disturbing and sad. Downfall is probably one of my favorite war movies, but I won't watch it because it's so damn long.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything directed by Gaspar Noe (Enter the Void, Irreversible, etc).

Those films are a work of genius, brilliantly executed. But also extremely disturbing. They pushed me way out of my comfort zone, and I felt psychologically scarred after watching them. Mind-bending, psychedelic films are usually a one-and-done experience.

Richard Linklater (Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly, etc) makes trippy films that are quite enjoyable on repeated viewings, though, because they don't take you down such a dark and unsettling path.

Last edited:

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
The Joker and The Revenant are really good choices for this. Both great movies but they both made me very uncomfortable watching. So no desire to watch again.

Otherwise movies that rely on a major plottwist simply because that feeling of surprise can never come back by rewatching.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Silence. And not just because of the length. It's a beautiful, arduous, miserable, amazing, challenging film that I came out of thinking I'd seen a genuine masterpiece. I don't want to see it again, because my experience the first time around was so profound that I doubt I'd like it anywhere near as much on a rewatch.

Also it's three hours long.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Blue is the warmest colour is one of my favourite movies ever, but it's so emotionally exhausting and draining that I don't know I'll rewatch it any time soon.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Lion.

Enjoyed every moment of it and sobbed in the cinema, yet I don't know if I want to sit through 2 and a half hours of it again.
That last scene though...

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Melancholia is a very good call.
For me it's probably Threads.

I watched Threads as a double bill with Come and See one weekend.

There is something wrong with me.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Climax. watched the movie 3 times in a row, absolutly love it but i'm not watching it again for a long time.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Hereditary is the first movie that comes to mind. It was a good film, and I enjoyed watching it, but I think it will be at least a year until I watch it again.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grave of the Fireflies and that Christian Bale movie where he plays as guy that protects Chinese girls from Japanese soldiers.

The former is so sad, the latter is horrific to the point that I never want to see them again even though they are good movies.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beavis and Butthead Do America. I liked it so much that I don't want to overwatch it the way I did so many of my other favorites.

Loving Vincent was gorgeous and I really enjoyed it since I didn't know much about Vincent van Gogh, but some of the themes hit too close to home.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Room.

I think it's an amazing film and I love Brie Larson, but I watched it while depressed and it did not help things.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just recently The Irishman. loved it but i'm not going through that again anytime soon.

Jul 4, 2018
Oh, Grave of the Fireflies easily.
This is 100% the first film I thought of.

If I had to give another one Three Identical Strangers was a great Documentary but there is stuff in there that would just make me upset/mad that I don't really want to experience again anytime soon.

Edit: just thought of another one very similar to Grave of the Fireflies called In This Corner of the World that also fucked me up immensely so that's another one.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kill List.

Incredible film. Tension through the roof. Acting impeccable. Phenomenal direction. And it is absolutely harrowing. I don't think I can manage it a second time.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dancer in the Dark. Very good film, very powerful, but holy shit was it depressing and sad. It stayed with me for weeks after I saw it years ago, and I haven't watched it since and never want to watch it again.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Aftermath

It's a short film about necrofilia. It is fucked up and disgusting and one of the more amazing pieces of cinema i've ever seen.