• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

What is the best Gameboy game of all time?

Nov 12, 2017
Kirby's Dreamland 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
Pokemon: Red & Blue
Donkey Kong (1994)
Final Fantasy Adventure

Assuming we're going only GameBoy and not GameBoy Color

Redcrayon

Zoinks!
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Megaman V is my favourite, fantastic original game with some of my favourite robot masters in the series.

Link’s Awakening, Mystic Quest (FF Adventure), Donkey Kong ‘94 and Tetris would round out a top 5 for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Original GameBoy only the answer is Link’s Awakening. If you include GameBoy Color the answer could change to Ghost Babel.

There are a lot of very good original GameBoy games, but Link’s Awakening is the best of the best.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have a hard time choosing, so I'm just going to mention Mole Mania. I'd love a modern update of the game boy, with a backlit screen and a rechargeable battery.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a ton of it, but Avenging Spirit is a GB game that hasn't been mentioned here but deserves to be in a discussion of best games on the system.

But Link's Awakening is my overall pick. It's maybe the game most responsible for my love of games in general. Before it, I had mostly just watched my dad and cousins play NES/SNES games. But Link's Awakening was my own adventure. And a huge and trippy adventure, to boot!

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a ton of it, but Avenging Spirit is a GB game that hasn't been mentioned here but deserves to be in a discussion of best games on the system.
It's not in my top GB games but I do think it's underrated (and it's also available on 3DS). It's kind of weird they ported the arcade game to GB instead of a 16-bit console, though.

Oct 28, 2017
To me, it's Gargoyle's Quest.
It was oozing atmosphere back in the day and I'm still humming the overworld theme sometimes when wandering through the nature during grey autumn's days.

OP
OP
Vanillalite
Oct 25, 2017
Megaman V is my favourite, fantastic original game with some of my favourite robot masters in the series.

Link’s Awakening, Mystic Quest (FF Adventure), Donkey Kong ‘94 and Tetris would round out a top 5 for me.
This is by far the most underrated Gameboy game as well as probably the most overlooked entry into the Mega Man series for sure.

Nov 1, 2017
Alright Era what do you think is the best Gameboy game of all time? I mean OG Gameboy. None of this Gameboy Color or GBA stuff.

So what say you?
Very easy anwser!

Any GAMEBOY LIGHT model. The original Gameboy is downright unplayable without a backlight.

And if you want to know what the best AND coolest Gameboy is, then the answer is, the Gameboy Light Skeleton

EDIT: Lol, I somehow read "best Gameboy" of all time. Oh well... ^^'