• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
Can't decide between these

Super Mario Land 3 : Wario Land
Link's Awakening
Donkey Kong 94

Three great games of all time, not just for GB. I would probably rank them DK, LA and Wario Land.

Era came through in fine form on this thread. Mole Mania, Pinball: Revenge of the Gator, Metroid II ... all top tier. Played a ton of Kirby's Pinball Land, would probably make my top 5.

Tetris is absolutely classic but without battery backup, it may not be as approachable as the other games for me but it plays second to none.

If anyone still plays their 3DS (I do!), highly recommend picking many of these up on Virtual Console.

Oct 28, 2017
You can keep your Tetris, your Donkey Kong '94, and your Link's Awakening.
Dexterity had me playing until my fingers bled.

gb_dexterity_p_p2yrdj.jpg

Woylie

May 9, 2018
- Tetris
- Kirby's Dream Land
- Mario Land 2
- Pokemon Gold/Silver (Red/Blue were great but I think Gold/Silver have held up better.)
- Wario Land 2 (originally put 3 but I guess that was a GBC game!)
- Link's Awakening

I think any of these would be a great answer.

As for underrated games:

- Catrap
- Bionic Commando
- Mario's Picross
- Revenge of the Gator
- Kirby's Dream Land 2
- Kirby's Star Stacker

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon seems like the "Correct" answer, but my personal choice is Link's Awakening. It's not just my favorite gameboy game, it's one of my favorite Zelda games.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
The Final Fantasy Legend (aka Saga) might not be the best, but it's for sure the one that's stuck with me the most. I haven't touched it since I was little, but it'll still pop into my brain all the time. It felt sooo mysterious

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
It's surely the nostalgia talking, but mine is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Footclan. Compared to the lackluster first TMNT on NES, I found this to be the best TMNT-based home console game before TMNT2: The Arcade Game came out a few months after:

Right out of the gate was that faithfully awesome chiptune rendition of the full TV theme. I loved how big the sprites were, and it just felt and sounded so GOOD hitting the enemies with that ear-piercing slash hit sound, or landing a well-timed jump kick.

Oh man this brings back a lot of memories, the game was so much fun, I remember getting the cartridge from a neighbor in exchange for a bag of candy.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Its between Mario Picross 2, Wario Land 2, or Link's Awakening. And even then its Wario Land 2. I'm shocked at how little people are repping it, seriously an amazing game, and its even more shocking people are suggesting the down right Vanilla in comparison Super Mario Land 3: Warioland.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's surely the nostalgia talking, but mine is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Footclan. Compared to the lackluster first TMNT on NES, I found this to be the best TMNT-based home console game before TMNT2: The Arcade Game came out a few months after:

Right out of the gate was that faithfully awesome chiptune rendition of the full TV theme. I loved how big the sprites were, and it just felt and sounded so GOOD hitting the enemies with that ear-piercing slash hit sound, or landing a well-timed jump kick.
It was impressive how much it looked like TMNT on that small dark olive screen.
Oh man this brings back a lot of memories, the game was so much fun, I remember getting the cartridge from a neighbor in exchange for a bag of candy.
It seemed like every kid I knew had that game too!

What kind of Candy did you trade it for?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Link's Awakening, no question about it. It's actually the best Zelda game as well.
Second best for me, but yes, definitely Link's Awakening.

There is just so much packed into it, it's insane. Emotion, humor, great music, great swordplay, amazing dungeons... Somehow they even made great platforming sections and bosses in a Zelda game.

Besides Zelda there's Game Boy Camera (which is easily the weirdest game on the system), DK '94, and Pokemon gen 1. But those are probably the only Game Boy games I really love.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Well, Konami does win the Best Music on Game Boy award...

By far...

Really far...

How did the Game Boy not catch on fire when playing these? lol

Basically, Konami in their heyday of the early '90s took their NES music experience and translated it to the Game Boy, and it was pretty much amazing every time.

Nov 23, 2017
Gold, Silver, or Wario Land 2. I'd throw Mario Land 2 and Wario Land 1 into the ring as well. Link's Awakening was surpassed immediately after on GBC otherwise I'd say that.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
This was probably my favorite Gameboy game. Such a deviation from the Mario platform games and it had really cool power-ups, bosses and tons of secret trophies to collect. Managed to get them all for the best ending and I miss the feeling of suddenly being able to go through a part of a wall to discover a hidden secret. Such fun.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Pokemon R/B/Y. I was purely a PC and SEGA system owner at the time, but pokemon gen 1 was something even I couldn't ignore.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's Wario Land, Pokemon Gold/Silver, or Link's Awakening depending on what genre you're looking for

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
It was impressive how much it looked like TMNT on that small dark olive screen.

It seemed like every kid I knew had that game too!

What kind of Candy did you trade it for?

Honestly i can't remember, all I remember is that it was a bag of leftovers from Halloween.

It was the best deal I've ever done.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If black carts are fair game (the ones that work in regular Game Boys but have some added features if played on a Color), then the answer is unquestionably Dragon Quest (or Warrior) Monsters 1 and 2.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening. I probably choked out an entire ecosystem with the amount of batteries I went through playing that game.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Best that is game boy ONLY? Or best that may also be GBC compatible?

Because my favorite that is gameboy only is link's awakening. Great game, perfectly put together and shrunk Zelda's LtTP gameplay down to the small screen.

If you expand it to GBC compatible is ok I might say Pokémon silver or Revelations: the demon slayer (megami tensei in a micro package!)

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why a game that is playable on the OG Gameboy doesn't count if it has added color when played on the GBC.

That's like saying God of War isn't a PS4 game because it is enhanced on PS4 Pro.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Links Awakening is the best.

There is a massive lack of Metal Gear Solid, seems like not enough of you played it. It takes MGS1 and makes it work with sprites, totally new giant campaign, incredible bosses, fun story, takes the best from the old metal gear games as well. Has I think like a hundred bonus missions. It's a classic.