• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Links Awakening is the best.

There is a massive lack of Metal Gear Solid, seems like not enough of you played it. It takes MGS1 and makes it work with sprites, totally new giant campaign, incredible bosses, fun story, takes the best from the old metal gear games as well. Has I think like a hundred bonus missions. It's a classic.

Metal Gear Solid is a GameBoy Color game or it would have been my answer.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's obviously Tetris but as far as original games go Link's Awakening wins all day every day.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Like many already said, has to be Link's Awakening.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get why a game that is playable on the OG Gameboy doesn't count if it has added color when played on the GBC.

That's like saying God of War isn't a PS4 game because it is enhanced on PS4 Pro.

Yeah, me neither. Especially if the game is still great on OG. My answer would still be Link's Awakening though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Link's Awakening. A 1993 portable game. It felt very much like its SNES counterpart squeezed down into a handheld format.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Donkey Kong 94 is the best Donkey Kong game of all time, best Mario game of all time, and the best Nintendo game of all time, so it automatically is the best GB game of all time.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has to be Tetris but damn that Donkey Kong game is good.

True heads stan for Mole Mania tho.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Links Awakening. It was LTTP except portable, with tons of charm and solid gameplay.

Honorable mentions: Tetris, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Donkey Kong 94 and Super mario land 3

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I was going to say Pokemon Crystal, but you ruled that out with GBC so I'll say Gold or Silver.

You can still play them on the original Gameboy, it counts!
I lost my gbc weeks before Silver released, but had a 20$ brick I got from a thrift store. Played through the first 7 gyms that way then when I got a new gbc for Christmas I was blown away with the special gyrados.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
It's probably Link's Awakening to me. It's not without flaws, and it's certainly a game that feels hindered by its hardware, but it's still quite an achievement. The structure might have been solidified earlier, but with its stronger focus on puzzles, characters, item-use, and music, I think it's probably the first "modern" Zelda game.

My runners up: Gargoyle's Quest, Pokémon GS, Tetris, and For the Frog the Bell Tolls.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Oh my it's like choosing a favourite child.

I think Donkey Kong edges it. Man did I have no idea what I was in for when I got that game (in my ignorance I thought you would play as DK like in the Donkey Kong Land series).

Nov 4, 2017
It's obviously Tetris followed by Link's Awakening then the Pokemans.

But, special mention to this bad boy:
images

It's a thoroughly underrated game that I got hours of fun out of.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really think it's Pokemon. They made such a tight formula and expansive game pretty limited hardware

Link's Awakening is also really good and Tetris is amazing. Super Mario Land 2 is probably a little overrated, but as a kid whose only Nintendo console until the 64 was a Gameboy it was the closest I got to the Good Mario as I could. It's a great game

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Warioland: super mario land 3 is superior in graphics, gameplay mechanics, level design, character design, music, and philosophy.
Honestly, i loved warioland but i would argue that they arent really that related? Like sure they are supposedly in the same series but later warioland games ditched the supermarioland name completely. Its such a different sequel. Still great tho.
If we wanted to choose a game from gbc library aswell i would have definitly chose warioland 3.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, i loved warioland but i would argue that they arent really that related? Like sure they are supposedly in the same series but later warioland games ditched the supermarioland name completely. Its such a different sequel. Still great tho.
If we wanted to choose a game from gbc library aswell i would have definitly chose warioland 3.

The plot is a direct continuation of SML2 and the game shares many things with mario games: Worlds with a boss at the end of each, coins, pipes, items to transform, common enemies, invincible star, +1up every 100 coins, .same HUD (see below), ...

PdDIz8q.png
OYEybQ2.png

Same box art, same development staff, ... Wario land is a legit sequel.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Links Awakening is the best.

There is a massive lack of Metal Gear Solid, seems like not enough of you played it. It takes MGS1 and makes it work with sprites, totally new giant campaign, incredible bosses, fun story, takes the best from the old metal gear games as well. Has I think like a hundred bonus missions. It's a classic.

I mentioned it, but it's GBC only if I recall. Honestly, as someone who never really got into the Metal Gear Solid franchise on the PlayStation, the Game Boy game is masterful. Full fat stealth gameplay with a mature and intriguing plot.

This thread demonstrates that the Game Boy had one of the best libraries of all time.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know I liked my game boy games pretty equally.
I had MK2, F1 race, super Mario land and tetris.

This thread resurfaced a strange memory.

When I was about 7 - 10 I said to my dad MK2 is for 11-15yr old because it said it on the box. My dad asked me if I wanted to let him hold on to MK2 until I was old enough and he will buy me a game more for my age, but of course I declined as I loved MK2.
Pretty odd my dad giving me a choice.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously Tetris followed by Link's Awakening then the Pokemans.

But, special mention to this bad boy:
images

It's a thoroughly underrated game that I got hours of fun out of.

Yes, I loved this game. I remember getting stuck and having to quit during the trading sequence in the black market toward the end of the game because I was too young to know what a red herring was. I think that I kept trying to figure out what to do with it, or trying to find it, or whatever the situation was. I should go back and play through this again.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So which Game Boy games that are on the 3DS VC are worth playing these days?
Original GB games I'd say Donkey Kong, Mole Mania, Mega Man IV/V, Wario Land, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby's Pinball Land, Metroid II, Revenge of the Gator, Gargoyle's Quest, Bionic Commando, Quarth, Avenging Spirit, Tumblepop, Lock 'n Chase, Dr. Mario, Balloon Kid, Super Mario Land 2 and Pokémon Red/Blue are all top of the list. Tetris too but it's been deslisted now unfortunately.

For Color titles you can add Wario Land II-3, Shantae, Mega Man Xtreme 1-2, Lufia, Mario Golf/Tennis, Pokémon Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal, Puzzle Challenge and all three Zelda games.