• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New system launches are hard, peeps. You have to put out an expensive and sophisticated piece of machinery, starting from scratch after having spent the last several years building up a totally different platform, and at the beginning, you have to work extra hard to make it viable and attractive, so that it attracts audience and developer attention, and becomes self sustaining after achieving a critical mass.

Thus, the importance of launch lineups. Incredibly enough, however, in spite of said importance, console and handheld launch lineups have, almost universally and with few exceptions, sucked. This isn't even a controversial statement. However, in the midst of all that suckage, there have been some consoles that have launched with games that aren't just impressive for being launch games, but are just remarkable games period, and among the greatest of all time.

Which of those console and handheld launch games is your favorite, and why? Make sure to talk about the 'and why' part.

For me, the answer is (predictably) Breath of the Wild on the Switch. Breath of the Wild is now conclusively my favorite game ever, so it wins any other category it is eligible for by proxy for me- the game cast a magic spell over me that, 10 months and 130 hours later, has still not worn off. Simply existing in its world and interacting with it, exploring, coming upon new sights, seeing unexpected things happen, the sheer emergence and scope of the systems at play, has been utterly unlike anything I have seen in games before. It's spellbinding- it's the first time I have actually felt that a game I am playing is 'next gen' or beyond anything that has been achieved before, since I was a kid.

But that's my answer, steeped in my opinion and take- what's yours, and why?

Some notable launch games over the years:

• Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Duck Hunt (NES)
  • Tetris (Gameboy)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • Virtua Fighter (Saturn)
  • Ridge Racer (PS1)
  • Super Mario 64 (N64)
  • Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
  • SoulCalibur (Dreamcast)
  • Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
  • Project Gotham Racing (Xbox 360)
  • Wii Sports (Wii)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

It was a revelation in gaming. I've never seen anything like that at that point.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. Before that I have never played one of my favorite games of all time at the launch of a console. Sure Mario 64 changed the game up and is an amazing game but personal taste keep it from being in my top 5 games of all time.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64

Was both one of the greatest games of all time and a proof of concept for 3D gaming.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Halo: Combat Evolved

halo-ce-box-shot-542x542-5a18dee88cd24e208e6016458ae0e53f.png

Probably the most influence on what games have become. Cinematic FPS AAA games blew up with that launch title. 3D was big, but that game is when AAA hardcore sped right past former king Nintendo imo.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Wild. 170 hours and going and I enjoyed every single minute of it. The whole game still feels magical and special to me and I am sure that in the years to come I will come back to it again and again.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I prefer Super Mario 64 over it, I only prefer it slightly more.

279558-dead-rising-3-xbox-one-front-cover.png

Dead Rising 3, baby.

As for why, it's my favorite Dead Rising game of the franchise. Its tone is pitch perfect, the art style was incredible, the gameplay was wonderful and built from 2 in a meaningful way, I loved the story and boss fights, and it was just the best. Such an incredible game.

For me, it's
Super Mario 64
Dead Rising 3
Luigi's Mansion
Breath of the Wild
Killer Instinct

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild. It turns out when you launch a game of that caliber with your new experimental console, it sells the console. Not only that, BotW is personally my favorite game of all time.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually not a Nintendo guy, but it has to be Mario 64, that game was revolutionary.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
All the Marios, Halo, and both Zeldas take it for me, though I'd say those last 2 felt less like launch titles since they were initially planned for late previous gen releases.

I know it's not on the same level at all, but I also really enjoyed the launch of the 360 in terms of lineup. I had a really great time with Kameo, PGR3, and even PDZ at the time. The graphical leap and the vibes of these games was really something, especially Kameo. I wish they made a sequel to that.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Botw or Mario 64 are by far the best imo - made both systems must have (not counting the gimped wiiu botw)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly Breath of the Wild is probably the better game and certainly the game I like more but Super Mario 64 is Super Mario 64. Even as someone who did not experience the N64 launch as it was I can't help but be impressed at the genius and mastery on display, I don't think too many games can even compete with it as far as impact and legacy is concerned, never mind just launch games.

I also really enjoyed Wii Sports myself and the cultural zeitgeist it ushered and the new audience it manifested is something I feel is incredibly important in video game history.

New Super Mario bros U, Nintendo Land and ZombiU also made for an impressive exclusive trio for the Wii U.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be Super Mario 64. I vividly remember being stunned at what I was playing the day it came out, the change to 3D and how it felt just running around Peach's Castle. I am not saying it's my favorite game of all time, but no game before or since has been a bigger game changer for me.

-Q-

Oct 30, 2017
Super Mario 64 by far. Not only is it an amazing game that still holds up today as one of the greatest of all time, but it defined 3D gaming.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Halo personally. I never enjoyed FPS games on consoles prior to it. I mean Golden Eye was fun but movement sucked. On an industry/historical scale it has to be Mario 64. It is still, to this very day, one of the greatest Nintendo games ever.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Best: Mario 64, Halo: CE, and BOTW - really hard to choose one of those

Most Effective or Important to Success of a System: Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Wii Sports, Halo:CE

All around: Halo: CE - both a fantastic game, and honestly I don't know if the Xbox brand would have made it very far without Halo.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario 64 was Nintendo's presentation card, a showcase of Nintendo 64's capabilities and a revolutionary title by the industry's standards of the time, all at the same time. Taking into account the context, it cannot be surpassed, ever.

My next choice would be Breath of the Wild but its value is diminished by the Wii U version and pretty similar open world games elsewhere.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought Mario 64 would be topped, but my answer is BotW. Such an amazing game, and to have it at launch was fantastic.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Realistically speaking it has to go to Tetris. Why? It's fucking Tetris. It sold 35 million for a reason.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild for me. Mario 64 was magical as a young teen; Breath of the Wild was magical as an adult--a much harder feat.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros. NES. That game was revolutionary at the time, and the NES probably doesn't become the mega success it did without it.

Umbra_Witcher

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
easily breath of the wild. it was majestic and unlike twilight princess on wii, i was hooked. when i got my switch, it was kind of a last second decision and ended up being awesome, unlike the wii, where i played once in the first year i owned it.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Super Mario 64 and Halo CE came to mind instantly. Those are my favorites, along with BotW being a recent choice that's obviously amazing!

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Haven't played BotW enough to have a definitive opinion about it. But Mario 64 is easily in top 3 of all time, so it takes the spot anyway.