What is the best Nintendo game this generation?

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 415 72.2%
  • Splatoon 2

Votes: 25 4.3%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 73 12.7%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Votes: 43 7.5%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 19 3.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has had a hell of a run as a game developer these last few years. They've put out what may be some of their best games ever, some of their most inventive games ever, and some of their most ambitious games ever in this time. Which one of Nintendo's first party games did you like the best? For the purposes of this thread, any game Nintendo published and owns the IP of is a first party game (so yes, Sushi Striker and The Wonderful 101 are both first party titles). If it is not clear, Wii U games count as well.

I would have thought that, given the sheer volume of amazing games Nintendo has put out over the last five years, this would be the hardest one to answer between the three console manufacturers, but as you might be able to guess, it's actually the easiest. As great as Nintendo's lineup has been, one game towers above everything else. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an unmatched sense of exploration, discovery, wonder, and adventure, backed by what may be the best designed open world ever (Nintendo took their penchant for level design, and applied it to an entire world), a great mesh of systems and mechanics that keep the game fresh and inventive hundreds of hours later, and controls so tight that it's a joy to just move Link in the world. I feel like it's not only the best Nintendo game of the generation, it's also the best game this generation, and really, the best game ever. So that gets my vote.

If you haven't already, go vote in the Microsoft and Sony threads.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Breath of the Wild so far for me. Feels like a game that no one would have expected from Nintendo.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm the first one to vote Splatoon 2, shameful.

Zelda is the "best" one, I just wanted to vote Splatoon 2 because it's the reason I get a Switch.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't deal with games as big and open as BOTW. Odyssey is the more engaging and fun game to me.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Mario Odyssey had this feeling of joy that I haven't had in video games in a long time. BOTW just felt bland and boring.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild. The sheer interactivity, melding of gameplay systems/physics, and geographical layout to keep something cool within view from every single point on the map made for an experience unlike any other. Every surface of the game was there to be explored. And it also had 120 Super Mario 64 Star-like like shrines sprinkled throughout its landmass that made for a nice post-game experience.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my vote. By far my favorite this gen so far from Nintendo. Great soundtrack and characters. The story was very well done as well.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the best Nintendo game they've ever made. It's not flawless, but in terms of ambition, scope, and quality, it's unmatched. Incredible quality all around though so far this gen from Nintendo.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
BotW really is the only answer for me. As much as I like XB2 and Odyssey, BotW is, for the most part, next-level stuff, a gamechanger and all that and if they can add the things I felt were missing in the follow-up we're talking greatest game of all time. Odyssey was too safe and too watered down, Xenoblade 2 was a step back from X is some key aspects. Splatoon 2 doesn't even factor in it for me, I don't want to sound dismissive but it was barely worth the "2" besides its name. I do want to try the expansion some day though.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Mario Odyssey a lot, but the answer to me is very clearly BOTW.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey takes me vote. Best 3D platformer ever. Zelda is great in a lot of things, but it isn't a "perfect" open world game, in fact there are many things that other open world games (like recent Ubisoft ones) do better. Still, Nintendo's output has been great so far this gen, but for my personal tastes it has to be Odyssey.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Breath of the Wild is Nintendo's most ambitious title in a long time and it's wonderful. Mario Odyssey was a spectacular progression of 3D Mario, but BotW was an evolution of the Zelda series in many, many areas.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's Splatoon 2

perhaps the most Nintendo ass Nintendo game they've ever made. checks all the boxes. the entire game was birthed out of a single game mechanic. everything about the game and world was informed by that mechanic. it's also got that classic Nintendo aspect of being instantly accessible and apparent what the objective of the game is while also being deep as all hell. throw in the best in class sound design and game feel and it's a wrap. not to mention the art style and character designs. inklings were iconic almost instantly and that was when it was a Wii U game.

probably won't be the popular choice in here for obvious reason but rest assured it is the actual answer

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are best known for their platformers, it's only fitting their best game across WiiU/Switch would be their pinnacle of 2D jump n'run

eIfW0Fs.jpg

And I have to vote OTHER?!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Xeno and Splatoon made the poll over Smash Brothers? Well ok.

I voted Zelda, my favorite game since 2004.

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I would give Super Mario Odyssey a 9/10 and Breath of the Wild an 8.5/10, I voted for Breath of the Wild just for how well made and innovative for the franchise it was. While I generally came out of Odyssey going "I am good, I don't really need another one," I came out of Breath of the Wild being very excited for the sequel.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
It's Breath of the Wild, although it's kind of cross-generational I suppose.

I don't know if I'd say their first-party output been good "the last few years," as much as "strictly in 2017," but yeah, that was one hell of a year.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for the other games because I like them but it's not even close... and this is coming from someone who was very skeptical/critical of Breath of the Wild before it released.

Nov 13, 2017
Switch only? Or including Wii U/3DS?

If Switch only,

(DISCLAIMER: Have not played Super Mario Odyssey, my likely number 1)

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (10/10)
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (9.5/10)
3. Splatoon 2 (9.5/10)

If over Wii U/3DS/Switch:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
3. Super Mario 3D World
4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
5. Splatoon 2
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
7. Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe)
8. Kid Icarus: Uprising
9. Splatoon 1
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

HM: Fire Emblem Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS