• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best Nintendo RPG after the Wii/DS era?

• Fire Emblem: Awakening

Votes: 28 6.9%
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 125 30.9%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X

Votes: 62 15.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Votes: 155 38.4%
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 5.2%

• Total voters

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Something interesting that I've noticed is that in almost every one of Nintendo's major RPG series, what is widely regarded by the dedicated fanbase to be the best game in the series was released in either the sixth (Gamecube/GBA era) or seventh generation (Wii/DS era). Even more interestingly, however, is that ever since that Wii/DS era, almost every Nintendo RPG released on the 3DS, the Wii U and the Switch, have received a mixed-at-best reception from the community. For instance:
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was released on the Gamecube, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was released on the Wii. Most consider the DS and 3DS Fire Emblem games to be a significant step down from the Tellius games.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles was released on the Wii. While Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 weren't terribly received, it's difficult to deny that these two games haven't received the same kind of universal praise that the original received.
  • Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver, Black and White as well as Black 2 and White 2 were all released on the DS. Many people in the Sword and Shield threads will attest to both the 3DS and Switch Pokemon games being a severe decline in quality from Gens 4 and 5.
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was released on the Gamecube, and all three Paper Mario games that followed it have very often been compared to it in a negative manner.
  • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was released on the DS, and the complaints levied at the modern Paper Mario games have also largely applied to Paper Jam, and Dream Team (to a lesser extent).
So what do you think is the best RPG that Nintendo's offered since that golden era? (Remakes don't count)

Personally, if I had to rank each game in the poll, it would be as follows:

Three Houses>Dream Team>Awakening>Xenoblade X>Sun and Moon>Xenoblade 2
  • I consider Three Houses to be the only Nintendo RPG since the Wii/DS era that manages to reach the heights of the Tellius games, Pokemon Gen 5, and Bowser's Inside Story. It has both a good (albeit slightly inconsistent) story and some of the best character writing in any Nintendo game. Furthermore, out of all of the games in the poll, I'd say that Three Houses is the only game that doesn't have a especially crippling flaw.
  • Dream Team was pretty good - it has far too many tutorials and cutscenes for its own good, but the Mario and Luigi gameplay in that game is arguably the best that the series has ever had. Props to it giving Luigi a personality, and making Bowser threatening in a Mario RPG for once.
  • Awakening was decent - it's story is a mess, but it is redeemed by a mostly good cast that gets far more flak than it deserves. It being a very good Fire Emblem game for newcomers also greatly helps its case.
  • Xenoblade X is a game of highs and lows - on one hand, it has the best exploration of any Nintendo game outside of BOTW. On the other hand, I feel that BOTW largely renders this game's greatest strength obsolete. What worsens it as a game is that its story and characters are not only uninteresting, but also a tremendous step down from the original Xenoblade. That being said, this game desperately needs a sequel, and it's a shame that we ultimately got Xenoblade 2 instead of a Xenoblade X-2.
  • Personally, I would have rather put X and Y up on the poll instead of Sun and Moon, but Era does seem to enjoy Gen 7 more (link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/do-you-prefer-pokémon-xy-or-sun-and-moon.153402/#post-26512560). I don't like Sun and Moon at all. It completely gutted the sense of adventure that you got from previous Pokemon games for a story and characters, which to put it charitably, fail miserably at holding the rest of the game up.
  • If Xenoblade X was a disappointment coming off of Xenoblade 1, then Xenoblade 2 felt outright disgraceful to me. It has some good moments on occasion, but the plot is completely marred by its insistence on being a terrible, D-list anime (the sleepwalking scene, in particular, is one of the most offensively written scenes I have ever seen in a Nintendo game). Rex is one of the worst protagonists I've ever seen in a video game, being both bland and insufferably whiny, and characters such as Tora aren't much better at all. Whilst I feel that this a more competent game than Sun and Moon, I hate this game far more because of how cynically designed this game feels - as if pandering to otakus was a higher priority than actually making a good game.
EDIT: Since some people are asking "Why isn't Game X on this list?", ERA polls only allow for 7 options, and the ones listed above are what I feel have left some positive impression on the community.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
latest

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The poll results don't lie: Three Houses is the best Nintendo-published RPG since Xenoblade. It's also my game of the year.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I have an immense soft spot for Xenoblade X (and share your feelings on Chronicles 2, OP, thanks for that) but Three Houses has to take the title. X has a lot of warts and most definitely isn't for everyone, while Three Houses is just categorically successful at being an excellent game across the board. The characters, absolutely absurd amount of script and even the lightning-in-a-bottle internet culture that sprung up around it make it something really special.

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I have an immense soft spot for Xenoblade X (and share your feelings on Chronicles 2, OP, thanks for that) but Three Houses has to take the title. X has a lot of warts and most definitely isn't for everyone, while Three Houses is just categorically successful at being an excellent game across the board. The characters, absolutely absurd amount of script and even the lightning-in-a-bottle internet culture that sprung up around it make it something really special.
I feel like Xenoblade X's story seemed incredible on a script, but the issue is that it ended at what should have been the big midgame plot twist - and the most interesting parts of the story wasn't really addressed as a result. This is the reason why I really want a sequel to that game.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trash-tier story aside, Fire Emblem Conquest is easily the best game among these. As for the "full package", I'm gonna have to hand it to XB2: Torna.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I have considered them all somewhat disappointing one way or another, even if a couple are still pretty good.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
FE 3 Houses is the best game of the list, but I consider it more a strategy/tactic game than a RPG, even if I understand all the RPG elements it has.

Xc2 is the best traditional RPG from Nintendo the last years though, even if I it's not as good as Xc1 (which to be honest is a classic and a far better JRPG than any from this generation).

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I haven't played it, but I heard a lot of praise for Ring Fit Adventure, maybe it should have been on the poll ? Otherwise it's Three Houses and it's not even close

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade is probably my fav Nintendo JRPG, but I'll be dammed at anyone saying XC2 is better than FE3H 😤

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I only partially understand why Awakening and 3H count as genuine RPGs. I still think of them primarily as strategy games.

Either way it's Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's crudely desigend compared to X, or even the original, but ultimately it is a genuine JRPG on a AAA budget with a classic FF-tier storyline. Great lore, great hero's journey, fantastic companion cast and grand finale.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Wait, isn't Fire Emblem more like a tactical/strategy game than a rpg? At least in comparison with Xenoblade, Pokémon and the Mario & Luigi Saga.

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Either way it's Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's crudely desigend compared to X, or even the original, but ultimately it is a genuine JRPG on a AAA budget with a classic FF-tier storyline. Great lore, great hero's journey, fantastic companion cast and grand finale.
By the way you put it, you do realize that Xenoblade X is an option above?

Jan 20, 2019

Aw yay! Despite some of the annoying elements this game is just wholesome af and really fun to play, even after Torna I find myself wanting more from this world.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
No joke, Three Houses. Xenoblade has been consistently disappointing both in writing and gameplay. The latter is so fundamentally broken that they NERF your party if you ever attempt to fight higher leveled monsters because they know you could wipe the floor of the game's entire bestiary without a low level party. Not to mention the whole side content is just padding that would make a Korean MMO blush.

Three Houses though is good in gameplay and the writing was done by the Koei Dynasty Warriors/Nobunaga people so it's actually interesting to follow in a long while for the series.

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Xenoblade has been consistently disappointing both in writing and gameplay. The latter is so fundamentally broken that they NERF your party if you ever attempt to fight higher leveled monsters because they know you could wipe the floor of the game's entire bestiary without a low level party. Not to mention the whole side content is just padding that would make a Korean MMO blush.
Isn't party nerfing if you fight high-levelled monsters only in Xenoblade 1?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of options if you include Nintendo published but not developed games: Astral Chain, TMS#FE, Daemon X Machina, and even Octopath. Of that lot, I'd say TMS#FE is the best.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and it's not even close.

Three Houses would be #2, the gameplay was fun but I didn't really care for the story it told. Path of Radiance is still my favorite FE game.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
It's Xenoblade X all the way.

The world exploration is 100% top-notch in every sense of the way. It has managed to be the best created world ever, and no other game world has come even close to it. Yes, that includes Breath of the Wild's world.

While I understand the criticisms against the main story and its mission-based structure, I actually appreciated it. The sense of wonder you get from the ending is exactly what I like about its main story—it causes you think about it...over and over again (maybe I should count it as a curse rather than a blessing? Lol). I do hope we get a sequel(s) to answer the universe's secrets one day. The only criticism I have is the small amount of cinematic moments. I wish we had more high-budget scenes, especially for action scenes and the more emotional scenes. I think that's what was missing for a lot of people. Well-animated scenes allow people to connect with the characters on an emotional level.

Beyond the main story, there are side quests which is honestly one of the best part of the entire game. The side quests include Affinity Missions, Normal Missions, and Heart-to-Hearts. The NPCs and their conversations within almost every one of them is memorable. It rivals games like Majora's Mask in the side quests category. The lore found in some of the side quests actually complement the main story in a significant way. It's a shame that the game isn't recognized nearly enough for its side quests. I really do hope they plan on porting the game to the Switch because it's the perfect console for this type of game.

The playable characters are all ordinary characters living their own lives. The game is unique in how no one is the "chosen one" like other games in the series. The lives they lead can feel a bit mundane in the grand scheme of things, but it really fleshes out their personalities. The way they interact with others feels much more personal.

Other great things about the game include the music, combat, Skells, etc. By the way, the music is pure bliss. One. Hundred. Percent. And yes, that includes the NLA themes. The only downside regarding its music is the audio direction in some of the cutscenes. That's a huge flaw that pretty much everyone agrees on.

This game deserves a second chance. And when it does, I really hope everyone supports it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is amazing but I didn't have a Wii U so I can't speak to X. Hoping it gets a switch port.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
It's Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Voted Other.
Of the other games on the list, FE: Three Houses. Xenoblade is really not to my tastes at all.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Three Houses and XC2 are both great, lengthy, deep RPGs. It's really close between those two for me. They both have amazing world building, character development, music, voice acting, side content, and stories.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade is probably my fav Nintendo JRPG, but I'll be dammed at anyone saying XC2 is better than FE3H 😤

I'll go to bat for XC2 actually. I like the sense of adventure and culture it cultivates a hell of a lot, the concept and execution of blades as both a thematic piece and a centering for the gameplay cohesively is really interesting. Plus the setting is about as well developed as 3H's.

Rex is waaaaaaay more interesting than Byleth as a main character. The antagonists are more interesting as well. Plus the music is incredible, maybe one of the very best jrpg osts ever in terms of production and quality.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Voted Other.
Of the other games on the list, FE: Three Houses. Xenoblade is really not to my tastes at all.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions has some great dungeons. I can't say I find any of the narrative elements particularly remarkable. But it's a bright experience overall. But given the team who developed it and their pedigree (Growlanser, Langrisser, Devil Survivor, Radiant Historia), it's a tad disappointing.

Itsuki is also a complete wet blanket of a protagonist too.

Oct 27, 2017
i'd watch the hell out of xenoblade 2 if it was a shonen, but as a game i just didn't find it fun to play, dropped after about 10 hours

i'm actually at about 10 hrs into three houses as well, excellent so far, and while the battle system hasn't really evolved much, it's like grilled cheese and tomato soup on a cold winter day. tactics comfort food

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only person who was a bit disappointed by three houses. I loved all the 3ds fire emblems (started the series on gba which I loved too). The monastery segments are very boring and the pacing of battles to non-battles is awful so far. Maybe it picks up but I am not in love so far sadly. Also the game is too easy.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
There's a lot of salt in the OP. Delicious

Toss up between XB2, X and FETH. Though i'd personally pick XB2. The last few PK gens have been pretty 'eh' imo.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It's Xenoblade 2.

Awakening is one of my favorite games of all time but as an RPG it's nothing special.

Three Houses is awful.