• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just got reminded of how INCREDIBLE the music is in SOTC with the new trailer for the Remake. The whole intro sequence is pure art.

Could Kow Otani actually be Jesus Christ?

The trailer with the music for the poor souls that havent experienced God's work (aka SOTC):

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus is one of those games that works almost solely because the OST is so fucking good. Take it away, and it's not a very good game.

It's one of the reasons why I think music is just as important as art style and gameplay.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The music in the Ace Attorney series (mainly 1 and AJ for me personally) is amazing and sets the mood perfectly for every scenario.

Edit: Just one to give you a hint!

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the exact same thing watching the trailer and some of the other footage floating around. Without the music, what's left has a huge hole to fill.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus is not afraid of silence, so it makes these musical moments sweeter than ever. It takes guts to realize that you don't have to put music everywhere, that the player can appreciate these moments that gives meaning to the hopeless battles that you have to face

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It's actually any OST which involves Monaca, so like NieR Automata. But you do you OP.

I'd also argue that FFXIV makes a very strong case for best overall OST across all of it's content.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
SotC has the prologue music but Ico has the save game music. Tough choice.

Neither are "the best OST in gaming."

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Personally, I don't think Turrican II: The Final Fight on the Amiga will ever be topped. The limited capabilities of the sound chip and what Chris Huelsbeck was able to do is amazing and the soundtrack as a whole is very diverse and suits the game levels perfectly. A brilliant soundtrack and one that unfortunately doesn't get enough attention on this or other websites, most likely due to it's age and the age of members of said sites, plus it wasn't from a console game.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
SotC has exceptional music no doubt, and uses it with deliberate restraint.

OoT is untouchable for me though. I doubt anything can break through a lifetime of those songs forming emotional attachments in my head.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
SOTC music really encapsulates the mystery and emotion of the world it's set in. It's just perfect (just like the every other aspect of the game).

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
RIGHT, I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THE HYPERBOLIC STATEMENTS GOING ON AROUND HERE!

Agreed with this one tho. SotC > Anything.

Clawbvious

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I love a good OST. Not to be cheesy, but I still adore the Chrono Cross OST.

It's a little heavy handed at times, but it's got such a great progression to it. I don't know if we'll get to the bottom of what the best is, (SotC is really good though) so you should listen to the CC OST while you make up your mind...

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I would still say FF6 is the best ever OST, but SOTC is top 10 no debating especially for a non-rpg

Oct 25, 2017
Nier series
Etrian Odyssey series
Anything Falcom
A lot of Gust OSTs
And Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Those are the best OSTs I have heard in gaming.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
SotC is my fav game of all time and I love it's soundtrack, but wouldn't ever consider it to be near the best, despite being excellent. You and I usually have completely opposite opinions so it's nice to almost agree for once, though!

Personally, I don't think Turrican II: The Final Fight on the Amiga will ever be topped. The limited capabilities of the sound chip and what Chris Huelsbeck was able to do is amazing and the soundtrack as a whole is very diverse and suits the game levels perfectly. A brilliant soundtrack and one that unfortunately doesn't get enough attention on this or other websites, most likely due to it's age and the age of members of said sites, plus it wasn't from a console game.

A fantastic choice. Amiga had such great soundtracks, despite the mostly average games. Turrican being one of the exceptions, of course!

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The real problem and the reason SotC or Nier wouldn't ever apply for me is that despite the vast majority of those soundtracks being absolutely perfect for their respective games, there's plenty of uninteresting filler tracks in both cases, where as other soundtracks such as the previously mentioned Turrican 2, DKC2 or Chrono Trigger (or Dustforce, for a more recent example) are essentially all killer no filler, so all things considered, they come out on top.

Here's my suggestion:

Flink

Oct 27, 2017
Ico is better :) There's some great tracks in Shadow, but it's kinda cliche/boring overall.

Oct 25, 2017
manofculture.JPG

Cheers OP

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 2 and Tropical Freeze are in an eternal battle for best soundtrack, like Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainu.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I love a good OST. Not to be cheesy, but I still adore the Chrono Cross OST.

I really don't see how that's a cheesy answer. I genuinely think Chrono Cross has one of the very best soundtracks ever, the music is a big part of why the game ranks among my top favourites.

Xenogears also belongs here.

Those are my two answers, I wouldn't know which one to chose between them if I had to.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
The soundtrack is phenomenal but I actually found the stretches of silence when your traveling along the landscape some of the most beautiful moments I've ever had in gaming.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

100% agree. Ridiculously good.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
The OST for the original Fable was amazing. It was the perfect blend of dark fantasy and Disney. The music was so good at times that I actually ceased hearing it, as it naturally blended into the atmosphere of the game. While it isn't my favorite of all time, it is one that goes widely overlooked.