• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
digimon battle spirit was decent
nothing really is on the same level as smash from what ive played

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Talking specifically about 4 player free-for-all or 2v2 gameplay, I thought PlayStation All-Stars' combat system worked even better than Smash's.

Because even after two decades, 4-player Smash games haven't found a solution for camping on the side in stock or kill-stealing in Timed. These are optimal strategies that reward you for fighting as little as possible, a problem that All-Stars' system never had.

Sure it does. The solution in Smash is that if you try to camp on the side of the screen all your friends hate you and start ganging up on you.

It sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. These interactions are part of why casual Smash with friends is so much fun.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Towerfall is dope. Digimon Rumble Arena too. I'd give it to those two as the best.

I actually enjoyed PSASBR as well though. And Indie Pogo, but I'm biased for any crossover.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A Jump Ultimate Stars console game with a budget behind it would be the one thing to rival Smash

Sure it does. The solution in Smash is that if you try to camp on the side of the screen all your friends hate you and start ganging up on you.

It sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. These interactions are part of why casual Smash with friends is so much fun.

The person who is in the lead will 100% get ganged up on. "kill stealing" in a free for all sounds like a joke, like do you expect people to play honorably in casual smash? how dull

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Jump Ultimate Stars.

Also, Stick Fight isn't the best but I definitely think more people should try it.

lEizeNV.gif

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018

That 'solution' is circumstantial at best: it only works if the camper gets noticed, who often doesn't.

Relying on players to fix a game design flaw is not how you truly solve the problem. That's like saying a player who keeps using a glitch or unbalanced weapon is fine as long as everyone else gangs up on him.

Plus, I wasn't talking about casual Smash. Things like balance are less important in a casual setting. I was talking about competitive. Smash's incompetent mechanics as a 4 player game could be one of the reasons why 4 player FFA Smash has never been taken seriously at tournaments. PSASBR's system, on the other hand, showed potential for that.

Last edited:

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation All-Stars, the gem that was rejected by society.

Got more hours of play on Vita from me than SSBU on Switch.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Ultimate Stars is pretty damn great. It's healthbars with supers and ringouts. It's also got very underrated team customization that lets you design your team however you want (i.e. you can go solo, you can run assists, you can have multiple playable characters to tag between etc.)

PlayStation Battle Royale is pretty fun in the mode it was actually designed for (i.e. Timed FFA's).

Also, Super Smash Flash 2 exists and isn't half bad. It actually plays like Smash, just with 2D graphics / sprites.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
PlayStation Battle Royale is pretty fun in the mode it was actually designed for (i.e. Timed FFA's).
Such sound logic like this would've been so useful on the forums during the game's infancy, when everyone just thought copying Smash's 1v1 Stock was the best way to go :P
Well one could argue that it's shamelessness brought the shaming. Could have strived for more uniqueness.
Sounds like someone who didn't actually play the game.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jump Ultimate Stars and Rivals of Aether.

I don't see Power Stone in the same genre, but just in case, Power Stone 2.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Rivals of Aether is best Smash clone, but there's bound to be some standouts that pushed the formula in other more interesting directions or also played off beloved IPs