• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It might be a successful game not getting a sequel, a crossover of IPs owned by the same company, a missing feature or mode that would have fit a game well, misuse of hardware or UI, wasted potential of an premise/character/setting or anything else you can imagine. Something you feel could and should have happened but strangely didn't.

The big one for me is a 1:1 lightsaber Star Wars game on Wii. The install base was huge, the mainstream and casual appeal was there and the motionplus remote would have enabled people to act out their jedi fantasies in the most realistic way possible. I'm not even a Star Wars fan but I can't help but think such a game would have been incredible.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is a game that could have been huge but just fell flat. Yet over at Nintendo, Smash Bros goes from strength to strength.

Star Fox 64 DS not including online play was a massive waste of a remaster. I'm pretty sure SF Zero also lacked online multiplayer, which is even more inexcusable.

Metroid Prime for Wii U using the gamepad to scan would have been the best use of that device. Similarly, a gamepad-utilising Pokemon Snap, be it a remake or sequel.

No one picking up the Kyle Hyde series or saving Cing is a much smaller example that hurts me deeply.

Over to you guys.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Atari coming within a hair's breadth of getting the American rights to the Famicom.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
dims

The Nintendo PlayStation

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Sony could've developed the PlayStation Switch. There are records showing that they had some sort of prototype and registered stuff very similar to the Switch.

OP
OP
Geek of Nature
Oct 27, 2017
A modern Nintendo online service.
Should have started ten years ago like the rest.
And they're still playing catch-up now.

They have had some interesting ideas about their online presence along the way - Wii's various channels were pretty cool and Miiverse was a brave experiment - but they're definitely far behind. The fact Switch online is releasing 18 months after the console launched shows this.

Oct 25, 2017
dims

The Nintendo PlayStation
2 controller ports. No analog stick. This thing might not have gone the way you all think.

Edit - To the 100th person that decides to respond to this with trivia, nothing you have to say is something I don't already know. I'm saying I PERSONALLY liked that the N64 had an analog stick and came with 4 ports, so I'm going to say the N64 as is is as MY PREFERRED result despite sales and third party results playing out different. I saw picture and just thought of things we could've lost out on hypothetically, hence my reaction. Could've happened, may not have, I don't know.

Last edited:

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Not that it would have been as big as smash (nothing can become as big as smash), but it would have easily become a tentpole franchise if they hadn't fucked it up.
The gameplay was fine though it was the roster they messed up on. Their budget must have been small considering they couldn't get Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Lara, good Dante, and many other icons associated with PlayStation. Heck you had fans clamoring for obscure first party titles too and they didn't get in.

OP
OP
Geek of Nature
Oct 27, 2017
The Microsoft / Rare relationship. So much wasted potential.
This is a great one. It's a missed opportunity in two fronts: 1) Microsoft never seemed to recognise Rare's potential, robbing Xbox consoles of so many potentially great games, and 2) imagine what Rare would be putting out as a Nintendo second party developer. :(

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGS V having a terrible story. Opportunity for best game of all time was missed.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Wii being as weak as it was.

the Final Fantasies, The Resident Evils, the CoDs, etc, etc .. millions and millions of sales lost because the shit hardware wasn't able to run them.

(I mean mainline games, of course)

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vita.

Imagine if its most important years weren't eclipsed by the launch of the PS4.
Imagine the hit it could've been if it didn't have proprietary card bullshit and if it got a few high-profile exclusives.

Even when it was basically spurned from the mainstream market from the get go, it managed to develop an amazing niche library.

Seeing the Switch succeed makes me feel bad that the Vita couldn't grasp a similar opportunity sooner.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great one. It's a missed opportunity in two fronts: 1) Microsoft never seemed to recognise Rare's potential, robbing Xbox consoles of so many potentially great games, and 2) imagine what Rare would be putting out as a Nintendo second party developer. :(

Telling people to make up great games in their head doesn't really put rares actual output in a bad light.

Ot- my personal pick is the og x1. Purely on the power front.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's Pokemon Go despite it being an objectively overwhelming success.

Just imagine if it didn't have so many issues at launch and actually had all the promised features out of the gate. Its success could have been mythic.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not the biggest but one that deserves a mention: Blizzard missing out on the MOBA craze. They had DotA, they did nothing with it, Valve went on to make one of the biggest games in the world.

Last edited:

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
I actually got to play this thing at a convention. Once you get over the mystique of it, you realize it really is just a 16 bit system with a cd drive. It would've been the Sega CD and Turbo CD all over again.
It's more about the Nintendo/Sony partnership than the hardware itself.
Things could have been very different in actual gaming landscape if this partnership were conclued.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
DC and Marvel execs never burying the hatchet to come together and seek out a studio to do a DC vs Marvel crossover fighting game. I know they worry one side would end up looking better than the other besmirching one sides characters over the other, but its a game not canon and advertising is advertising. It'd be the biggest event for fans of fighters or comics in decades. Brand war splitting the market seems counter intuitive to me. Comic fans wont buy one and boycott the other. Pool your audiences. The merch alone would be insane business let alone all the dlc outfits, stages, and useless crap in game you could sell folks.

Dream game with huge licensing issues aside more realistic things.

• Any sort of MOBA on the switch/Wii U. Touch screen HUDS are perfect for this genre and this is the only non PC environment that properly supports this setup.
  • Sports on WII U. DUAL SCREENS mean you could call plays on the fucking fly. Splatoon showed on the handheld a live map of the field. Football/ soccer/ basketball all have play calling and would've done well with this tool for folks to go nuts. Plus it'd finally hide their play selection from other players. The inability to have both p1 and p2 do this in local probably hurt it on Wii u along with the install base/online issues of the system. Now the dual screen is lost on switch. Its either handheld or bigscreen. Not both. Missed chance for great play calling features to enter a genre that makes money.
  • All these "hero" based arena games like Overwatch and none with an actual super hero license and theme? Just seems like a missed easy fit.
  • Euphoria physics engine and Endorphin were set to be huge. Physics based models with advanced AI that had them try to keep balance and deal with impacts? Amazing. Created some of the most incredible collisions and physics for destroying a person in gaming. HALF THE INTERNET WAS WRESTLING VIDS USING THIS WHY DID NO ONE MAKE A WRESTLING TITLE USING EUPHORIA OR ENDORPHIN ENGINE!? Most we got was some GTA, Star Wars and Football. Wrestling would've been perfect. All you needed was a lift and drop animation and the rest would no longer need to be canned animations. Each bump would be different and as the AI is more and more tired they would try to correct and brace themselves less for falls. Do a suplex too close to the ropes and watch em hook arm or take a rope to their back and whip all over the damned place. Toss a fool off the top to the outside across a junk pile of ring steps and ladders and watch em mangle. The hype players could create for themselves would be incredible, but nope. They shitcan every animation which takes more effort and looks repetitive and worse. Fucking. Waste.
  • You'd think by now Marvel, DC, or even Transformers, or GI Joe would've somehow ended up with a Musou title. All seem solid fits for a genre that proved with its licensed products like One Piece, Gundam, and Zelda that it can sell over a million Units and make big waves with casual players and DLC.
By far I think the biggest no brainer is the wrestling game with Euphoria physics or Endorphin stuff. Why no one did this I have no fucking clue. The internet was in love with the concept.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the right answers are about hardware - Atari, the Nintendo Playstation.

My answer : The Sega Saturn and how it derailed Sega's future

I think an enormous missed opportunity was Sega in their preperations for their Mega Drive/Genesis successor.

They took their success for granted, and didn't take their next steps seriously. They allowed company squabbles to escalate to the point that their East and West interests were in disharmony. They allowed parallel, ill-considered hardware projects (Mega CD and 32X) to dilute their standing with gamers. They allowed teams to hoard over tools and IP rather than sharing them across the company. Disruptive people were allowed to be disruptive. They didn't market well, they didn't leverage their considerable IP. Their strategy was dire.

Their mistakes resulted in an expensive, underpowered, difficult-to-program-for successor - the Sega Saturn - which was released with no marketing, into a confused marketplace alongside the 32X. This began the death-spiral for SEGA. They weren't able to offer anything against the PlayStation and the Nintendo 64, and their lack of profit curtailed any opportunity to make the Dreamcast the success it should have been.

Here is what they could have done with the hardware:
  • No Mega CD and 32X. No NOMAD. No SEGA PICO. No Sega Mega PC. No CD-X/Multimega. Consolidate all R&D (aside from arcade) into the Saturn. Ensure the Saturn software teams and arcade teams are alligned, to make ports as efficient as possible, and ideally debeloped in parallel.
  • Consider changing the name. "Saturn" is sci-fi. Find something that appeals to a wider audience. "Sega CD" or "Sega Phoenix" or something like that.
  • Remove or address obstinate teams or staff.
  • Ensure hardware is capable of receiving low-res PC ports
  • Memory card slot backwards-compatable with Mega Drive/Genesis games to ensure software continuity. The slot was the same size as the carts anyway! Make sure parents know that their kids can still play their existing game collection.
  • Four controller ports - an immediate differentiator to its predecessor and to the PlayStation
  • Ensure demo disks could be printed cheaply (this was a death knell in marketing Saturn games in this timeline!)
  • Adopt standardised hardware shell/ software cases across all regions to bring costs down.
  • Parental controls - be the family-friendly machine from the get-go.

Key IP in place for launch:

• Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Complete - a quick and easy port of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, with CD-enhanced music and effects, chuck in a new zone or two to show off in commercials. Sonic was enormous, Sonic fans wanted more content, they really needed to capitalise on this ASAP.
  • Micro Machines, Street Racer and Bomberman to sell the four-player party/family machine factor - something that differentiates the hardware from its predecessor
  • DOOM (use every hardware trick to ensure four-player split-screen deathmatch is possible). Develop Sega-exclusive episodes with new WADs so the commercials depict what looks like a brand new product, call it Sega Doom and market it everywhere.

Key arcade ports in place for launch:

• Sega Rally
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Virtua Cop
  • Daytona
  • Star Wars Arcade

In the pipeline:

• Sonic 4 (2.5D for graphics wow factor - relative for the time) in development. Hype this to hell and include trailers in launch software
  • Key Sega Mega Drive/Genesis sequels -
    • Streets of Rage
    • Altered Beast
    • Golden Axe
    • Shinobi
    • Castle of Illusion
    • Gunstar Heroes
    • ECCO
    • Landstalker
    • Shining Force
    • Phantasy Star
    • Outrun
    • Road Rash
    • Crusader of Centy
    • Comix Zone
    • Toe Jam and Earl
    • Desert Strike
    • Columns
    There was enormous brand recognition and affection for these titles, sequels should be in development and heavily advertised
  • Sega Arcade Classics: Alien 3 - The Gun (rebrand as a new Alien adventure); SegaSonic The Hedgehog; Burning Rival; Spider Man Arcade; etc. Port these all over, rebrand as new and exciting releases.
  • Final Fantasy VII (don't let Sony get this as an exclusive, at least get a port)
  • Pay Square Enix for enhanced ports of their SNES classics (Chrono Trigger, FFVI) - show that the old rules of exclusives are being broken. The SEGA audience may not have played these before.
  • Ports of existing PC games - e.g. Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Star Wars Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, Sim City, Syndicate, Little Big Adventure, Wing Commander - Sega could be the gateway to these games for the console audience! These could be ported with the resources that would have been used to develop ilk like "Bug!", "Clockwork Knight 1/2", "International Victory Goal" and "The Mansion of Hidden Souls", all of which are irrelevant and don't need to exist.

Strategy

Ensure as cheap a launch price as possible (even if this means taking an initial loss and propping with profits from Mega Drive/Genesis sales),

If you can't launch cheaper than Sony, then add value to the product. Bundle games, include built-in Mega Drive classics, a second controller, anything! Include this in the marketing ("With SEGA, you don't need a memory card, its built in! You don't need a second controller, its in the box!")

Ensure the launch is well-advertised, build up marketing hype with TV and cinema trailers showing upcoming games - don't overcomplicate with marketing rubbish, just show the console, the games, and really hype that this is the true successor to all of the beloved experiences that the Mega Drive/Genesis gave you. Try to replicate the enormous international success of "Sonic 2uesday", which made headlines, was featured in newspapers, etc.

Be radical with marketing. With multi-disk games, give away the first disk for free with Sega Saturn Magazine to encourage sales. Give away entire small games on the demo disk (such as Master System ports - many of which were not familar to USA players such as Psycho Fox, Alex Kidd in Hi Tech World and Asterix) to ensure that customers see that there is massive added value in buying the console. Work better with your magazines and comics franchises to ensure their stories allign with the marketing.

Build a better relationship with partners - EA in particular - things were so bad in the original timeline that EA released their own multitap that co-existed (but was not compatble with) Sega's own. Get FIFA ready early.

Court Square Enix early.

Ensure steady stream of arcade ports, PC ports, enhanced Mega Drive/Genesis ports, draw in third parties, and be far better placed to combat the PlayStation and Nintendo.

Really capitalise on existing IP. Sega has this in abundance, Sony had none at launch.

Ensure that there are no missed opportunities with localisation - have high-profile releases localised during development rather than after the fact, for both first party and partners. No one should be missing out on Radiant Silvergun, Magic Knight Rayearth, Bubble Symphony, Grandia, and Shining Force 3 episodes 2 and 3.

No marketing will out-do the launch of the Nintendo 64 with its advanced 3D graphics, so have a price drop ready with software bundles to keep the Sega offer marketable.

Ensure that a cheaper version of the Sega Netlink is developed (Not $199!) and be ready for the internet age. If the above as worked, and the Sega Saturn userbase is now made up of tens of millions, then there is a business justification for a western-compatible SegaNet.

When the business is secured, consider releasing games for the Gameboy/Gameboy Colour. There is no strategy for SEGA to win this market, so instead embrace it and make some money. Let your Gameboy output be a gateway to reaching Nintendo gamers, and tapping into their market.

No opportunities missed

Win the generation.

Change the landscape of gaming forever, and still be a powerhouse to this day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geek of Nature
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey - a game that sees Mario travelling from location to location around the globe - not having Isle Delfino as a kingdom seems like a shame to me. I keep going for it to be released as DLC.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo don't embrace Gamepass like subscription.
Imagine all Nintendo titles day and date at $10 a month, hell even at $15 they will take over the world, kill gamepass/EA access and whatever Sony come up with at their infancy.

Last edited:

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more about the Nintendo/Sony partnership than the hardware itself.
Things could have been very different in actual gaming landscape if this partnership were conclued.
According to insiders, Nintendo backed out of the deal because they rightly saw Sony as just attempting to use them to get a foothold in the industry. Look closely at the thing, there's no Nintendo logos on it. They didn't want a partnership with nintendo, they wanted to eat them.

That said, Nintendo publicly turning them down and humiliating them was the reason Kaz was allowed to continue the playstation product as revenge. What would have been if the deal quietly fizzled out...

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC and Marvel execs never burying the hatchet to come together and seek out a studio to do a DC vs Marvel crossover fighting game.

I dunno.
When the Marvel licence was trash and not worth much we got one of the best tie-in games series ever because capcom could afford to treat it as a licenced game where they called the shots.
Meanwhile when Batman was a big deal, we got nothing but trash. And when Marvel became a big deal again... still mostly trash.

If Marvel and DC had both co-operated I can't help but feel we'd have ended up with something like Def Jam: Icon with metas.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom still not rebooting/remaking Dino Crisis when both Jurassic World movies just made over a billion each.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
- Nintendo not taking advantage of the N64's success in North America, and in particular, the success of multiplayer FPS games. They could have had the platform of choice for games like Halo, Call of Duty, etc. Instead, they parted ways with many of their western development partners and let Xbox come in and take their lunch.

- Nintendo's complacency following the Wii's success. Laugh at Pachter all you want, but if they actually did release an HD Wii back in 2009/10 when the system was still popular and then followed up on the Wii with a next-gen console comparable with XBO/PS4 instead of the Wii U, they never would have relinquished the market lead. The biggest reason for the Wii U's failure is that there wasn't demand for it. In Year 7 of the Xbox 360, the market wanted new, more powerful consoles. Imagine if, after the enormous success of the Wii, Nintendo had a year head start on the PS4/XBO with a true next-gen console with the first next-gen versions of CoD, Madden, etc. They could have finally fixed the third-party problem. Not only was it a missed opportunity, but the Wii U ranks highly among the biggest unforced errors ever.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The Order 1886

This was the debut of Ready at Dawn in the home console space, they had everething to make a great game, thanks to many bad choices ended up missing a great oportunity to afirm themselves as a top developer (They did a great work in the games they developed for PSP)

Not the biggest in history, but ppl already pointed out alot strong ones.

Last edited:

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
According to insiders, Nintendo backed out of the deal because they rightly saw Sony as just attempting to use them to get a foothold in the industry. Look closely at the thing, there's no Nintendo logos on it. They didn't want a partnership with nintendo, they wanted to eat them.

That said, Nintendo publicly turning them down and humiliating them was the reason Kaz was allowed to continue the playstation product as revenge. What would have been if the deal quietly fizzled out...
Yes, exactly, this story is now a (real) legend.
If this partnership worked as intended by Nintendo, things could have been very different today. No Playstation ? Sega still there for hardware ? Nintendo/Sony strong partnership dominating ? No Xbox ?
Who knows !

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
I actually got to play this thing at a convention. Once you get over the mystique of it, you realize it really is just a 16 bit system with a cd drive. It would've been the Sega CD and Turbo CD all over again.

Yeah, but Square-Enix would've stayed at Nintendo for example. There would've been an 32/64 bit successor either way.
Cool you got to play it. Where was this?