• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 25, 2018
The FFXV plot leak on 4chan was pretty damn crazy, even talked about how far development with Xbox One was compared to the PS4. Pretty much once people got further into the game, they realized that leak was real.

Close second is KH3 FTP leak, where basically every world except for The Caribbean, Scala ad Caelum, The Final World, and the Keyblade Graveyard were leaked. Then there's the shitty KH3isLife leaker who we unfortunately had to deal with because he had no idea how to give information about a game.
"Ya there's FF characters in the game"
"yeah just 1 shows up"
"yeah namine has an important role in KH3"

Last edited:

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My all time favourite still has to be the fake Nintendo Switch controller which was all screen. People went crazy trying to match up the reflection of a tree to a location.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That leak from 2007 or so where like every unannounced game Ubisoft was doing at the time got leaked from movie tie-ins to Assassin's Creed.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say HL2's source code being stolen and leaked takes the cake for me.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
If you count actual games leaking, then Smash Ultimate being leaked like 14 Days in Advance or 7th Dragon III Code:VFD being leaked like several months in advance on the 3DS

Otherwise for details, i gotta agree with FF15

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The one I always remember is the Bloodborne leak and the ensuing freak outs and denials that the game was an exclusive.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I think i remember the FFVII remake announcement being leaked a few hours before the E3 show and almost no one believed it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I dont think any individual leak out of this was crazy by itself but its still pretty wild how Sonic games consistently leaked through Segas public ftp during the mid-late 00s.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I'd say HL2's source code being stolen and leaked takes the cake for me.
Yup, this is the one

They have changed the game drastically after that

And the whole story about the leaker was also awesome. Valve tricked him saying that they wanted to hire him, paid him the trip to the US, only to arrest him there.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I very vividly remember the bloodborne leaks, and a lot of people denying it as being a mock-up, or an expansion to dark souls II. Tons of people were upset it was a PS4 exclusive. I believe dark souls II had just come out around that time as well.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Halo leak and the Tomb Raider plane leak are pretty iconic to me. Pretty sure the latter was years before an official announcement, too.

Also this Kingdom Hearts 3 leak was wild considering it showed a whole new world, the game's debug mode, and Weird Goofy, all as a perfect screen capture. I have to imagine someone was fired for it.

Kingdom-Hearts-III_2017_12-23-17_005.jpg

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Half Life 2 source code leak, they had to delay and remake parts of the game because of it

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Smash 4 roster leak where everybody was insisting it was fake because Shulk was a reskinned Little Mac

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The leak of Smash footage meant for the ESRB's eyes only was nuts.

I'm pretty sure whoever was responsible is still in the Shadow Realm.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The Smash 4 leak was legendary.

In the same vein the final starters for Sun and Moon being leaked months before revealed was whack, i still no idea where it could have came from.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
- The Horizon: Zero Dawn concept art
- The Super Smash Bros for 3DS ESRB roster leak
- The Project Beast (Bloodborne) screens and videos
- The Super Mario Maker booth screens before E3

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Simon Wai Sonic 2 beta was leaked prior to Sonic 2 releasing through Chinese BBSes.

This leaked basically caused the formation of the entire Sega demoscene, and was so important that it changed the way video game PR was handled going forward.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Project Beast (Bloodborne) leak will forever be the most hype I have ever been for something videogame related

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
The Halo leak and the Tomb Raider plane leak are pretty iconic to me. Pretty sure the latter was years before an official announcement, too.

Also this Kingdom Hearts 3 leak was wild considering it showed a whole new world, the game's debug mode, and Weird Goofy, all as a perfect screen capture. I have to imagine someone was fired for it.

Kingdom-Hearts-III_2017_12-23-17_005.jpg

And not long after, there was that big FTP leak that confirmed almost every world through the file names. Of the Disney worlds, I think Pirates of the Caribbean was the one that managed to stay secret.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Man, ya'll have me nostalgic for those crazy written CBOAT threads. What a time. Still wondering if those Left 4 Dead 3 mockups are part of what's being developed at Valve currently.