• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Hello there folks,

I am writing this thread since I didn't find anything related here and the game has no OT.

I noticed that in the past weeks the game is getting a lot of viewers on Twitch, an it recently got the top spot as the most watched game on the platform
(Escape from Tarkov is currently the most-watched game on Twitch).

Pretty much all FPS streamers are playing it and a lot of variety streamers are playing it too.

I tried to learn more about the game but watching it on Twitch was really confusing and the videos that I found explaning the game were about half to one hour long.
The game seems really complex, the gameplay really hardcore, you have to watch your every move and there is some insane inventory management, but that's about what I learned about the game.

People kid that it's the best tetris with a shooting side game.

So what I would like to ask is if there was a big update recently or something to atract so many players and viewers?

And for someone here that plays and knows about the game to create an OT, explaning how the game works, the game modes, etc since the game is gaining a lot of traction and there is barely anything here about the game. I for one would like to learn more, so I would aprecciate to point me to some website or YouTube channel that explains and talks about the game.

Last edited:

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
The 0.12 update was released on 12/27 that added more guns and equipment and then went on sale for 25% off. This the then led to the twitch integration for in-game drops, which is why it is #1. For a game that is all about the stuff you get, it is a smart move to increase exposure. I picked up the game on Tuesday and while it is hard with a steep learning curve, I'm hooked and have been having a blast.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what LoNe_eXiLe said. Sale + Twitch integration. The game doesn't actually seem to have changed much in the last 6 months (at least on the surface), so I don't think it's because of a huge update.

I've been watching some of it, and it seems fun, but really intimidating with all the loot, and way too tense for me. Great to watch though.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
1. Very deep gun customization. Every gun is divided into realistic parts each of them being individual full 3D model. A lot crazy customization combinations to do

2. Loot driven gameplay loop that is set in PvEvP rounds

3. Very authentic and complex gunplay and movement systems

4. Even with dinkiest piece of shit gun you can take down best geared tank of player if you play well

5. Inventory tetris

6. Did I mention loot?

There is a lot going for the EFT when it comes to core gameplay loop, but game is pretty niche because of its hardcore nature. It isn't easy, gentle or forgiving game.

Major patch with good content drop combined with Twitch Drop Event and few big streamers getting on gave game huge boost. A lot bigger than usual for Drop Events.

Edit: Some of my go-to EFT streamers

High level players.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what LoNe_eXiLe said. Sale + Twitch integration. The game doesn't actually seem to have changed much in the last 6 months (at least on the surface), so I don't think it's because of a huge update.

I've been watching some of it, and it seems fun, but really intimidating with all the loot, and way too tense for me. Great to watch though.

I don't know. I thought the same thing about how intimidating it looked and then had a run last night where I broke both of my legs with no splints and managed to successfully extract. I thought I was dead for sure but being able to navigate the map with blurry vision while moving like a turtle left me on cloud 9. The game is punishing, for sure, but once you accomplish something, you feel that. At least that it has for me.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine has been raving about this game.

I just pulled the trigger since there's a discount on.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good game that's insanely deep. Feels like a survival horror at times. Big update plus twitch integration pushed it over.

OP
OP
Neo_MG90

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Thanks for the replies. The game being really deep and with the new Twitch integration explains the surge in popularity.

Hm, even at a discount the price is a little salty for me since it doesn't have regional pricing, but maybe I'll get it to try it out.

I already follow Sacriel but I'll check the other channels too.

What about YouTube, is there a good channel for beginners?

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies. The game baing really deep and with the new Twitch integrarion explains the surge in popularity.

Hm, even at a discount the price is a little salty for me since it doesn't have regional pricing, but maybe I'll get it to try it out.

I already follow Sacriel but I'll chech the other channels too.

This game gives me more jump scares then any horror game or movie. The cost of death is very real.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Give Pestily look, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC142-qvFgwSS6UIU-fFCd6w/videos

He is big EFT streamer (pulled almost 80k few days ago thanks to event) and does YouTube on the side, has a lot tutorial videos about the game etc.

His Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/pestily

How long usually does a "match" or session take? Are there ways to play shorter sessions, as a scaveger maybe?

On most maps you can choose to run for extract (read: exit) moment you spawn in if you so choose. Some times it's even best thing to do, e.g. you spawn in as scav and character has Labs Keycard on him. Those are / were super valuable items to sell in "auction house" as those are needed to access Labs that is considered end game map.

Other that one match can take few seconds up to an 50 minutes depending how well you do and how long you want to stick around.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The game is fantastic. It's basically created it's own genre as a hybrid survival-looter-shooter-mmo. It's super intense while in-game and the maps last max 40 mins but you can extract whenever you want if you make it there alive. Lots of different ways to play and gear yourself. The engine is rock solid and the developers are fast with updates. One of the best, most unique online experiences out there right now. The most difficult part is familiarizing with the 1000s of items and weapon attachments. If you don't give a fk about guns the extreme depth of the attachment system is annoying but you can just google for good loadouts at a variety of budgets.

Oct 27, 2017
The raids are really fun, but super stressful, as others have noted. Also, stressful (and fun depending on your personality) is the inventory management. I jumped in with this sale and am having a blast. It also seems fun with a group, though I don't know anyone else who plays it myself, so I haven't tried group raids.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever this game comes up, Its always a good idea to let people know that the devs are not going to put female characters in the game because they think women "Are not allowed to be in a war", since "Women cant handle the stress of real combat."

"Did you consider having female characters playable?

We considered that, but we came to the conclusion that women are not allowed to be in the war.

But these days, women are in the military...

I can agree with you and we discussed it for a very long time, but we came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot more talk of it recently too, which is crazy, because I swear the last time I saw this game, it looked janky as all hell.

Might have to give it a go though. It sounds pretty good in its current state.

Whenever this game comes up, Its always a good idea to let people know that the devs are not going to put female characters in the game because they think women "Are not allowed to be in a war", since "Women cant handle the stress of real combat."

We considered that, but we came to the conclusion that women are not allowed to be in the war.

I can agree with you and we discussed it for a very long time, but we came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"
Well shit

Have they made any further comments on this since then?

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot more talk of it recently too, which is crazy, because I swear the last time I saw this game, it looked janky as all hell.

Might have to give it a go though. It sounds pretty good in its current state.

Well shit

Have they made any further comments on this since then?
Just reiterated that they will not put female characters in the game.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have not played in a good while and kind of forgot I own it.
Game is a lot of fun from what I played. I quit after a character wipe they did. Curious what has improved since I last played.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around sexism

And this, kids, is what they call "trying to start shit."

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Seems neat but I personally don't want to play a Russian developed game that has to be downloaded through their own launcher.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

Goddamnit I gave money to these assholes...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

"we came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"

source.gif

What the fuck

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

Welp, nevermind then.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend at work won't stop talking about. I've noticed it really blew up and I never see this game ever talked about on era.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Well there goes any interest in me trying this.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"we came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"

source.gif

What the fuck
I love how the interviewer goes "but there are women in armies right now" and the dev drops all pretense and just goes "yeah but we dont wanna "

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Meanwhile shroud is pulling like 4K viewers streaming this on mixer while he would probably hit like 100K on twitch with the drops. lol

Oct 28, 2017
(Escape from Tarkov is currently the most-watched game on Twitch).

Pretty much all FPS streamers are playing it and a lot of variety streamers are playing it too...

That article mentions something disturbing at the end, that may be the reason for high twitch count?

Ironically, the chart-topping viewer count for Escape from Tarkov came just as Battlestate Games had its own Twitch channel banned: according to Reddit, during a stream a Battlestate developer displayed a realistic (although unloaded) pistol and pulled the trigger while aiming it at himself. The ban is said to be temporary.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
The game has one of the best gameplay loops I've seen in a good long while. Think survival MMO. It's tough but very rewarding. I'm really glad to see it trending so high these days. My hope is that a developer/publisher out there does their own AAA version of their own. If this were PUBG, we need a fortnite version of this so to speak. As good as the game is, it can be a bit too hardcore at times. Not to mention, it's not the most optomized game in the world.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I agree. But this game seems to be getting massive. PUBG was talked about a lot here and I'd put them roughly in the same category.
It's been mostly under the radar till now. It's had a decent sized twitch community for sometime now but it's hardcore nature, expensive price and it not being on any major platforms kind of kept it from blowing up till now.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That article mentions something disturbing at the end, that may be the reason for high twitch count?

Twitch communities don't care about stupid shit like that to this extent. If that was the reason for people to swarm EFT streams then numbers would have tanked already.

The game has one of the best gameplay loops I've seen in a good long while. Think survival MMO. It's tough but very rewarding. I'm really glad to see it trending so high these days. My hope is that a developer/publisher out there does their own AAA version of their own. If this were PUBG, we need a fortnite version of this so to speak. As good as the game is, it can be a bit too hardcore at times. Not to mention, it's not the most optomized game in the world.

I think AAA casualization treatment would strip this model of gameplay all of its charm.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Sickest game in the past few years. Too many people playing it now due to twitch - servers have been shitty recently.