• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Very deep gun customization. Every gun is divided into realistic parts each of them being individual full 3D model. A lot crazy customization combinations to do

2. Loot driven gameplay loop that is set in PvEvP rounds

3. Very authentic and complex gunplay and movement systems

4. Even with dinkiest piece of shit gun you can take down best geared tank of player if you play well

5. Inventory tetris

6. Did I mention loot?

There is a lot going for the EFT when it comes to core gameplay loop, but game is pretty niche because of its hardcore nature. It isn't easy, gentle or forgiving game.

Major patch with good content drop combined with Twitch Drop Event and few big streamers getting on gave game huge boost. A lot bigger than usual for Drop Events.

Edit: Some of my go-to EFT streamers

High level players.
Love Grimmmz and Sacriel. Can't recommend them enough.

Please don't watch xQc if you are interested in this game (or any game in general). He's a obnoxious streamer.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought it a few days ago due to the current 25% off sale and I'm loving it. I got the Standard version and I was worried about the limited stash size compared to the more expensive versions, but it's actually more than enough. There's also some tricks you can use like filling a backpack with items, then putting that backpack inside another one to save space etc.

The game is insanely deep and is brutally hard. Dying and losing all your good gear is extremely harsh, but trying to extract with some really good gear while high level, fully geared players are roaming about is the most intense feeling I've had while playing a game. I started off in offline mode to learn the mechanics and the "Customs" map, and there's a steep learning curve when you start online against other players, but it's so good when you have a good run. So far all 4 of my Player/PMC raids have ended with me dying and losing all my gear(well it was insured but yet to see any of it return, if it ever does...), while I'd say ~80% of my Scav runs have been successful extractions with decent gear. It feels amazing taking down high level players with a shitty pistol, you can still be deadly with some stealth and good aim.

The Australian streamer Pestily had over 100k viewers last night, insane...he's raised almost $50k in the last few days for the Starlight foundation, an Australian children's charity that helps really sick kids and their families.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fun so far. But man, this game runs like utter ass. 1080p, mostly medium settings on a 6700K @ 4.6GHz and 2070 Super. In the range of 50-80fps mostly, and it looks and feels pretty bad. GPU/CPU usage are hovering around 40-50% mostly.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Just grabbed it. I've always been interested in it but never took the plunge. I know absolutely nothing about this game besides that it's an FPS with survival mechanics and PvP. Looking to hop in after this last Giant Bomb Mario Party stream.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Just grabbed it. I've always been interested in it but never took the plunge. I know absolutely nothing about this game besides that it's an FPS with survival mechanics and PvP. Looking to hop in after this last Giant Bomb Mario Party stream.

Survival mechanics aren't that deep as they mostly are about healing with kits and painkillers that you bring in with you, if you survive first contact to begin with.

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone here who hasn't heard yet if you're getting shitty performance when you get in raid, open up the main menu with ESC then press save settings. It can give you upto 10-15 better fps.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing for 2 years, by far the most immersive and tactical shooter out there, nothing else comes even close. People who are comparing it to survival horror aren't really being hyperbolic, it can really rival the best of the genre when shit hits the fan. Night time raids are incredibly tense, you'd think taking a few friends with full gear and night vision would cut down on the fear factor, but in Tarkov, playing with friends makes the game significantly harder, as at least when you're alone everything you see and hear is an enemy, with friends? If you're not careful and being 100% aware of your surroundings and group movements you'll end up being the one killing your friends.

Never personally thought I'd see the day where it was achieving some kind of mainstream success, always thought the punishing and hardcore nature of the game would relegate it to niche status forever, glad to be wrong about that. In the two years I've played it's come a LONG way, and each patch keeps getting better and better, I'm beyond excited to see what it could become now that it's breaking through to people.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I was reading yesterday that the longest-running cheat engine was caught and banned, so that's nice.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Survival mechanics aren't that deep as they mostly are about healing with kits and painkillers that you bring in with you, if you survive first contact to begin with.

food and water are annoyingly important now since the addition of out of raid healing, especially if your stomach gets blacked out

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
food and water are annoyingly important now since the addition of out of raid healing, especially if your stomach gets blacked out

Hideout gives you baseline recovery boosts for cheap-ish with upgrades to pretty good regen speeds so it's mitigated by that alone. Once you get over learning curve struggle and start to stack up on goods then out of raid healing becomes basically irrelevant mechanic. For newbies it's mountain of its for sure if have rough go at it.

Oct 26, 2017
Neo_MG90 Thanks for making this topic, I was wondering the same damn thing. All my PUBG streamers have been spending time on this game, and I never really watched any of it because I don't watch games I don't actually play. But shit if this 25% off deal is still on I may have to hop in on Tarkov. Seems right up my alley just not sure I have the time to commit to it, so I was always in wait for a sale mode.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
Hideout gives you baseline recovery boosts for cheap-ish with upgrades to pretty good regen speeds so it's mitigated by that alone. Once you get over learning curve struggle and start to stack up on goods then out of raid healing becomes basically irrelevant mechanic. For newbies it's mountain of its for sure if have rough go at it.

it's a freemium bullshit mechanic that should've never been introduced, personally

the hideout was a solid idea to make use of all of the seemingly useless items but having to wait for shit to regen in RL time is beyond fucking stupid

this + the garbage servers make me fall off the game pretty hard recently

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Been enjoying watching Shroud stream this on Mixer. Would love to have a console port, though with the intense inventory management & controls, I'm not sure if that's feasible.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I think AAA casualization treatment would strip this model of gameplay all of its charm.

I don't think the poster you quoted is referring to the casualization of Fortnite so much as the AAA studio backing. Maybe Apex Legends is a better comp. It really nailed the Quality of Life many asked of PUBG, was extremely well polished from day 1, and the core mechanics were near the top of the genre. Also, going F2P opens up the concept to a much larger audience.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
There barely even noteworthy if you alternate your scav and pmc runs, and that's before you start upgrading your hideout.

so then why even have the mechanic if it's barely noteworthy?

the crafting stations would've been enough or they could've made the upgrades a bit more useful outside of increasing the rate at which your hydration and energy increase. It's not a very well thought out mechanic imo

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
It's what community is asking too. Out of raid healing is so irrelevant when you get into mid to late game with leveling and gear.

then I'll pivot from my original post about food and water being important (for early game) to it still being a dumb useless mechanic that adds no value outside of frustrating busy work and grinding for shitty hideout upgrades

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
then I'll pivot from my original post about food and water being important (for early game) to it still being a dumb useless mechanic that adds no value outside of frustrating busy work and grinding for shitty hideout upgrades

There is several system that they still need rethink and redo, one another being passive perk system. Suuuuuper slow to level without exploits, but at max ranks can give ludicrous benefits over anyone else.

Oct 26, 2017
so then why even have the mechanic if it's barely noteworthy?
I think they are looking for new mechanics to extend the gameplay, right now longtime players generally look forward to the wipes with major patches to extend gameplay. Some of these will fail so there is now need to get your shirt off over it,
There is no longterm game now and that is why they are trying new stuff out, remember it is still in beta.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
There is several system that they still need rethink and redo, one another being passive perk system. Suuuuuper slow to level without exploits, but at max ranks can give ludicrous benefits over anyone else.

I agree with that as well, especially late in the patch cycle. Tried playing near the end of 0.11 before the event and it was extremely frustrating going against level 50s with full level 5-6 armor. Every round was basically shooting scavs only and avoiding all PMCs.

I think they are looking for new mechanics to extend the gameplay, right now longtime players generally look forward to the wipes with major patches to extend gameplay. Some of these will fail so there is now need to get your shirt off over it,
There is no longterm game now and that is why they are trying new stuff out, remember it is still in beta.

Totally understand, I just think it was a misstep. I might just be making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is because I do think the core game is good.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with that as well, especially late in the patch cycle. Tried playing near the end of 0.11 before the event and it was extremely frustrating going against level 50s with full level 5-6 armor. Every round was basically shooting scavs only and avoiding all PMCs.

Totally understand, I just think it was a misstep. I might just be making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is because I do think the core game is good.
That's cool, I get frustrated as well because as you say the core game is great. If there is one thing that I want them sort out it's the sound, it's really sketchy right now but I've heard there doing a big overhaul of the sound engine, hopefully that can help my survival rate a bit :)

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool, I get frustrated as well because as you say the core game is great. If there is one thing that I want them sort out it's the sound, it's really sketchy right now but I've heard there doing a big overhaul of the sound engine, hopefully that can help my survival rate a bit :)

Something as complex as R6S's sound engine is almost necessary for this sort of game, so I really hope they knock it out of the park

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Something as complex as R6S's sound engine is almost necessary for this sort of game, so I really hope they knock it out of the park

They will be implementing Steam Audio, https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Eh...not sure R6S is the best example, I'd take flawed lossy lo-fi sound over high quality but inaccurate and misleading sound any day.

The amount of times I've heard someone on my left, but they're actually on my right in siege or the opposite is staggering, and that kind of thing would be infuriating and dealbreaking in tarkov.

Tarkov's audio is certainly ripe for improvement though, it's certainly one of the weaker aspects but so far it's never seemed inaccurate to their actual position. I also think it's incredibly lame that people with higher levels in certain skills can hear further than other players, advantages like that has no place in a game like this imo.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I also think it's incredibly lame that people with higher levels in certain skills can hear further than other players, advantages like that has no place in a game like this imo.

They become Million Dollar Men.

They run faster, they hear further, they loot faster, they reload faster, they jump further and higher...

And not even just little, but veeery noticeable differences.

Oct 26, 2017
Eh...not sure R6S is the best example, I'd take flawed lossy lo-fi sound over high quality but inaccurate and misleading sound any day.

The amount of times I've heard someone on my left, but they're actually on my right in siege or the opposite is staggering, and that kind of thing would be infuriating and dealbreaking in tarkov.

Tarkov's audio is certainly ripe for improvement though, it's certainly one of the weaker aspects but so far it's never seemed inaccurate to their actual position. I also think it's incredibly lame that people with higher levels in certain skills can hear further than other players, advantages like that has no place in a game like this imo.
I've never played Siege but certainly agree on the personal skill progression in Tarkov, all progression in a loot based shooter should be tied to loot. I really like what they have done with traders and tied better gear behind leveling them up, and the flea market enables you dable in that gear if you get the money to do so. With that system I don't see much benifit at all to having skills, hopefully they will knock that in the head closer to a full release.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find it anywhere, but is it worth buying the more expensive copies for the bigger storage space?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find it anywhere, but is it worth buying the more expensive copies for the bigger storage space?
If you really get into it, it is absolutely worth it since your inventory will fill up pretty quickly.
You can just get the basic version to try things about and upgrade later if you want the bigger stash.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017

I've never had an issue identifying position in R6S /shrug

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying watching Shroud stream this on Mixer. Would love to have a console port, though with the intense inventory management & controls, I'm not sure if that's feasible.

I don't think it's feasible. Inventory management/looting already takes a lot of time with mouse, I can just imagine people sitting over a dead body for 10 minutes with a controller.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I can give one big piece of advice when it comes to performance:

If your GPU is at low usage, feel free to use the in-game supersampling for no performance cost. At 1080p 1x, I get about 40% usage. With 2x Supersampling, I get closer to 75-80% with better image quality and no framerate loss whatsoever, since the resolution increase is efficiently using the GPU.

For performance gains, make sure Object LOD is on the lowest setting. It makes a big difference. Also turn off HBAO and SSR.

Shadows don't seem to do much, and they all look horrible. I find low/medium to be a bit less distracting, since ground shadows don't immediately get sharp 10 feet in front of you. High is easily the worst setting because of this. Performance difference is negligible for all of them for me, as I'm still not GPU limited.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good videogame. It is charming and annoying that they tell you absolutely nothing, ever, about how anything works

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game needs an intro tutorial or something. I feel like I just completely fucked myself permanently by not insuring my machine gun or something. The game tells you that you'll lose all the loot you find if you die, not that you'll lose all the loot you brought in as well. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and the game doesn't give a fuck.

Edit: It seems I should just play as a Scav for now.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard about this and was curious.

Will this scratch that DayZ itch of having to be super cautious and weary when gearing up? Seems like the idea behind that game with a sense of persistence too, from what I've sen. Is there any opportunity to team up with people or is it kill on sight always?

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard about this and was curious.

Will this scratch that DayZ itch of having to be super cautious and weary when gearing up? Seems like the idea behind that game with a sense of persistence too, from what I've sen. Is there any opportunity to team up with people or is it kill on sight always?

Yes, you have to be cautious when looting. Especially so because if you die you lose all the stuff you had equipped when you started.

Teaming up is supported

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
This game needs an intro tutorial or something. I feel like I just completely fucked myself permanently by not insuring my machine gun or something. The game tells you that you'll lose all the loot you find if you die, not that you'll lose all the loot you brought in as well. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and the game doesn't give a fuck.

Edit: It seems I should just play as a Scav for now.
Offline mode my dude, you go in play offline with just AI, and in offline mode you DO keep what you take in, you just can't take anything out. Best way to learn the ropes.

Offline mode is one of the options when you are selecting where and when to raid.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Offline mode my dude, you go in play offline with just AI, and in offline mode you DO keep what you take in, you just can't take anything out. Best way to learn the ropes.

Offline mode is one of the options when you are selecting where and when to raid.
Alternating between this and Scav mode on Customs. Thanks

Can you extract in offline mode? I don't think I've even made it to the point in a map where you can extract or whatever.