• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I have no idea what the goal of this game is, but your mention of The Division dark zone (without the rest of the game) was kind of the feeling I was getting.

Tarkov currently doesn't have end game.

As is loop is
  1. Gear up in "your base"
  2. Go the raid (read: MP PvEvP round on map)
  3. Loot gear and items on big raid map while trying to survive against other players and AI
  4. After pockets are full of loot goal is to extract out from the raid
  5. Sort out the loot you gained, heal up, progress other goals you may have (some weapon build you want, build stuff to your base)
  6. Return to step 1
Game will eventually get longterm goals that will form end game for the game and developers plan to unify all maps into one single unified space.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought, i dunno why when I'm trying to phase desktop PC out of my life, but curiosity got the better of me.
  • Load times were painful, maybe the servers were slow and it's not always like this.
  • Crashed 4 or 5 times.
  • Gunplay and animations of enemies when shot are all pretty terrible.
  • Sound engine seems not great/basic.
  • Game is aggressively hardcore, I did virtually nothing but die, return to 'base' (the menu!) and then spend all my healing packs making my character 100% again.
  • It looks pretty, except when you see a badly animated enemy jank across your screen.
  • I'm being negative, but overall I do like it, neat concept.
To be honest I'm surprised this is so popular, it really must have a good gameplay loop, because it's a lot cheaper and less polished than say, early PUBG.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
To be honest I'm surprised this is so popular, it really must have a good gameplay loop, because it's a lot cheaper and less polished than say, early PUBG.

Tarkov isn't that popular. This is first time ever it has blown up in any meaningful way to public eye. It's very niche game for a reason.

Cheaper than EA PUBG? It's sold at full price...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a pretty cool high-simulation FPS. Takes a lot of time to really enjoy though.

Here's a classic experience:

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was hoping this was a little more like DayZ, with a big persistent map, but sad to find it is round based.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I was hoping this was a little more like DayZ, with a big persistent map, but sad to find it is round based.

Developers long term goal is to turn map basically into how STALKER structured its world. To get certain areas you would need to cross through others and when you want back to safety then you would need to go back.

They are still in process of making all individual maps / regions. They also will be revisiting old ones as they are overhauling lightning tech.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Developers long term goal is to turn map basically into how STALKER structured its world. To get certain areas you would need to cross through others and when you want back to safety then you would need to go back.

They are still in process of making all individual maps / regions. They also will be revisiting old ones as they are overhauling lightning tech.

The end goal sounds great, but it's not for me at the moment.

I've got back in to DayZ Standalone, a game that in the past I would've listed as the biggest letdown and fuck up for me personally, but luckily modded servers have come far enough to make the game really enjoyable again.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aside from the server performance due to exploding popularity, tarkov seems way more polished than any of the 100hrs I put into pubg in late 2018 and early 2019

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I see that the developer calls the game a 'massive story-driven hardcore MMO' - am I missing something because there's about 0 story in the game.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I see that the developer calls the game a 'massive story-driven hardcore MMO' - am I missing something because there's about 0 story in the game.

You are supposed to follow quest stories etc. for story, what of it they have put in place.

It's basically all written story at the moment. There is also that RAID series they are doing, 3 episodes are out on YouTube.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was dumb as fuck. I think I just died to a bush. Was trying to get to an extraction point, so I was following along the border of the map, walked into a bush, and it killed me.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That was dumb as fuck. I think I just died to a bush. Was trying to get to an extraction point, so I was following along the border of the map, walked into a bush, and it killed me.

Bled out? Starved to death? Suppressed shot? Damage from broken leg(s) took out your core vitals if you sprinted?

Outside of some very major momentary desync you don't just randomly die without reason.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The quests absolutely tell a story, and the plan is to introduce a more traditional story progression that teaches players the ropes. Currently there are quest options that effect your reputation for other traders, but eventually the plan is that the choices you make will dictate what traders are even available to you, so there's definitely story elements that will eventually force you to pay attention to the various factions and traders, just not a lot of it at the moment.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It tells you after the raid what killed you, you likely died to a player, or starved/dehydrated/bled out, all three of which can kill you suddenly and unexpectedly if you don't watch your vitals. You can also die to gunshots that you never hear fired, speed of sound and all.

Bushes are noisey as hell in general, I wouldn't touch one unless you want someone to know where you are, or if you are looking for something to hide in.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bled out? Starved to death? Suppressed shot? Damage from broken leg(s) took out your core vitals if you sprinted?

Outside of some very major momentary desync you don't just randomly die without reason.
It tells you after the raid what killed you, you likely died to a player, or starved/dehydrated/bled out, all three of which can kill you suddenly and unexpectedly if you don't watch your vitals. You can also die to gunshots that you never hear fired, speed of sound and all.

Bushes are noisey as hell in general, I wouldn't touch one unless you want someone to know where you are, or if you are looking for something to hide in.
I think I died to barbed wire. Shit's practically invisible when it's in a bush. Why is there barbed wire in a bush?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I think I died to barbed wire. Shit's practically invisible when it's in a bush. Why is there barbed wire in a bush?
The level designers are pretty sadistic when it comes to barbed wire placement, so you really have to be careful.
Usually it's not actually in a bush, but if you were hugging the concrete wall on the edge of the map, they have placed some barbed wire hanging off the top of the wall in certain places, so you can't follow it too closely. There's also a particularly hard to see one on Commons when exiting a certain cargo container that leads to a hole in the wall.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
"What's the deal with Escape From Tarkov?"

It's a hardcore Division 2 substitute for PC players. Sounds like it's the Darkzone folk wanted

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
i mean competitive shooter in the sense that it's like match based, right? and not a persistent character in a world?

Your main character, PMC, is persistent character. You level up baseline level and individual skills and perks by gaining XP. XP is gained by looting, exploring, killing, healing, eating, running, throwing....

It's "match" based currently as each map is separate instance from each other without anything connecting them together. Developers intent to connect them into single large zone like STALKER did its overall world. Idea being that if you want to go somewhere you have to travel through zones and then back when you want back into base.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

shroud's reaction right now in his million dollar home

giphy.gif

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Your main character, PMC, is persistent character. You level up baseline level and individual skills and perks by gaining XP. XP is gained by looting, exploring, killing, healing, eating, running, throwing....

It's "match" based currently as each map is separate instance from each other without anything connecting them together. Developers intent to connect them into single large zone like STALKER did its overall world. Idea being that if you want to go somewhere you have to travel through zones and then back when you want back into base.
oh, crazy

this sounds really neat

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The game is somewhat similar to Hunt Showdown, except in a larger map, with better weapons and loot, more players, and more hardcore.

Think of it as a PvEvP Battle Royale, except not wuite as being the last man alive isn't actually the goal but rather being the one to escape alive. You can pretty much play the game for just looting corpses (if you can find anything worthwhile) and then escape.

If you die then you lose all your equipment and loot, unless you had insurance for them before the round started (which you have to pay for). If you did then you get the things you lost, except for the things that you found while you were in the round where you died, cause ofcourse you can't have insurance on them.

Tarkov and Hunt Showdown have basically some of the best gameplay loop in any modern game with an incredibly rewarding feeling. Where Tarkov is more hardcore and "raw", Hunt is a bit more laid back and smaller though its weapons are harder to shoot than Tarkov as they are mostly bolt action and fire very slow. But you can heal very easily in Hunt and dying is a bit more difficult than Tarkov. Hunt is also a bit more fancy with its superior visuals, supernatural settings (your goal is to find and banish monsters), and living environment as you can alert people by stepping into branches that crack, unsettling the birds/dogs etc. It has less players on an instance than Tarkov. But Hunt is objective based as you all have a specific mission to complete and its considerably more polished than Tarkov.

The game has one of the best gameplay loops I've seen in a good long while. Think survival MMO. It's tough but very rewarding. I'm really glad to see it trending so high these days. My hope is that a developer/publisher out there does their own AAA version of their own. If this were PUBG, we need a fortnite version of this so to speak. As good as the game is, it can be a bit too hardcore at times. Not to mention, it's not the most optomized game in the world.
Funny that I mentioned Hunt as it's a relatively more casual used version of this, but it's still very hard to play especially due to the guns. But the actual game is more straightforward. If a Fortnite ver comes out then Hunt will be the middle ground like Apex/Blackout.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the audio in this game. Just fucking around in offline mode, standing in one of the buildings at dorms on Customs looting a dude, and suddenly I've got a Scav standing right in my face shooting me. Didn't make a single sound as he approached me. Doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Getting spawn killed is dumb as hell.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't understand the audio in this game. Just fucking around in offline mode, standing in one of the buildings at dorms on Customs looting a dude, and suddenly I've got a Scav standing right in my face shooting me. Didn't make a single sound as he approached me. Doesn't make any sense.

Audio is fucky like in most games. There is no proper space, distance and elevation simulation.

Next major patch, 0.13, should introduce Steam Audio (https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/) to the game which should me amazing for that stuff. Assuming devs don't delay it again as it was originally supposed to come with 0.12.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's always exciting to see something new emerges as a popular game with robust community.

I've been eyeing on this game since its development, but it didn't turn out as I was hoping for. Round based pvevp is simply not my thing.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Been thinking about picking this up for a long time, but I'm not a fan of inventory management and it seems incredibly slow paced. Perhaps it's more fun to play than watch.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
OK so it took me 8 solo runs/raids with my PMC/Main character to finally achieve an extraction on Customs...this game is fucking brutal. I was a bit unlucky and kept running into 2-3 heavily-geared, higher-level players that would just destroy me or Extraction Point campers...but you get that I guess.

I got the jump on a duo and took them both out from distance with a Mosin with 3.5x scope in a few shots each, it's such a strong weapon even against strong armour with a few well-placed shots. Both players were 10+ levels above me and had way better gear, it felt so good to steal all their loot and dogtags and extract...it begins.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome!!

Do the dogtags get you any loot? I saw them in a shroud game but wasn't sure what they do.
OK so it took me 8 solo runs/raids with my PMC/Main character to finally achieve an extraction on Customs...this game is fucking brutal. I was a bit unlucky and kept running into 2-3 heavily-geared, higher-level players that would just destroy me or Extraction Point campers...but you get that I guess.

I got the jump on a duo and took them both out from distance with a Mosin with 3.5x scope in a few shots each, it's such a strong weapon even against strong armour with a few well-placed shots. Both players were 10+ levels above me and had way better gear, it felt so good to steal all their loot and dogtags and extract...it begins.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Being playing it for 2 years, there's nothing gunplay wise like Tarkov, also the ambience and loot concept mechanics are unique.
It's hard to go back to other military fps, even modern warfare seems to have good weapon model and attachments but after Tarkov it's impossible to look at those guns.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Awesome!!

Do the dogtags get you any loot? I saw them in a shroud game but wasn't sure what they do.
AFAIK Dogtags are required to complete a few quests/tasks and they can be traded for gear from traders, or sold on the flea market.

At least one quest requires them.

Alternatively you can just sell them to the Therapist for good cash. She gives you more cash for higher the level on tag is.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Top Tarky protips:
  1. Middle click to identify items
  2. Delete key to drop any equipped item when looting, either on you or any dead player.
  3. Shift-click to loot into inventory, shift-right click to equip
  4. Double R to drop mag for a quicker reload.
  5. Alt-t to check mag, shift-t to check chamber.
Most importantly L for a weird flex.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Top Tarky protips:
  1. Middle click to identify items
  2. Delete key to drop any equipped item when looting, either on you or any dead player.
  3. Shift-click to loot into inventory, shift-right click to equip
  4. Double R to drop mag for a quicker reload.
  5. Shift-r (I think) to check mag.

Quick reload literally throws mag away so you need to pick it up after from the ground!

So the game is still in alpha? Because it seems all the features they talk about are still not in the game.

Closed beta

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh right and mouse wheel to change walking speed, especially relevant when crouched and sneaking.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Biggest tip I can give: learn the maps, extractions and chokepoints. Use sound with comtacs, learn the hot spots and don't be afraid to loose gear. Also, if you kill someone...don't go running to loot most of the times...when there's one there's two, when there's two there's three, when there's three there's four, when there's four there's five, when there's five there's a scav...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Biggest tip I can give: learn the maps, extractions and chokepoints. Use sound with comtacs, learn the hot spots and don't be afraid to loose gear. Also, if you kill someone...don't go running to loot most of the times...when there's one there's two, when there's two there's three, when there's three there's four, when there's four there's five, when there's five there's a scav...
Yeah, pretty much pop a map open on the second monitor if you can.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Whenever this game comes up, Its always a good idea to let people know that the devs are not going to put female characters in the game because they think women "Are not allowed to be in a war", since "Women cant handle the stress of real combat."

"Did you consider having female characters playable?

We considered that, but we came to the conclusion that women are not allowed to be in the war.

But these days, women are in the military...

I can agree with you and we discussed it for a very long time, but we came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"
They've just put this out on their Twitter on the topic:

Tweet 1: "And just to finally clear the question about women in EFT. First - there are women in EFT already (trader, some future key storyline quests will have women as main characters)"
Tweet 2: "But there will be no playable female characters because of game lore and more importantly - the huge amount of work needed with animations, gear fitting etc #EscapefromTarkov"