• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to watch DrLupo over the weekend and the game has so much potential. I might pick it up if it goes on sale again.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting this so you get ping.

Read this Reddit thread, some more experienced players talking about how audio works in the game atm: https://www.reddit.com/r/Escapefrom..._tarkov_sound_layering_how_you_can_use_it_to/

TL:DR: It's wonky, Reddit threads has tips to work with it and get benefits
That's interesting. TBH, buildings terrify me in actual matches.

Hell, I stick to the outside section of Interchange.

I got some headphones for my character from a Scav match though, and that's significantly improved things.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the audio in this game. Just fucking around in offline mode, standing in one of the buildings at dorms on Customs looting a dude, and suddenly I've got a Scav standing right in my face shooting me. Didn't make a single sound as he approached me. Doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Getting spawn killed is dumb as hell.

Yeah this is a huge issue for me rn. I bought a new headset and crank my sound up specifically for this game. Half the time I'm looting with interface volume at 20%, scav or raider teleports on top of me, I heard some russian emote and get blown away. No footsteps, no nothing. Really frustrating when I'd say 80% of the game is based on audio cues. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's ultra frustrating. Lost a 200k+ inventory to that this morning.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah this is a huge issue for me rn. I bought a new headset and crank my sound up specifically for this game. Half the time I'm looting with interface volume at 20%, scav or raider teleports on top of me, I heard some russian emote and get blown away. No footsteps, no nothing. Really frustrating when I'd say 80% of the game is based on audio cues. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's ultra frustrating. Lost a 200k+ inventory to that this morning.

Check https://www.reddit.com/r/Escapefrom..._tarkov_sound_layering_how_you_can_use_it_to/ for some pointers about games sound engine

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, thanks - I had read that - he mentions how he thinks it works this way and I'm curious if it does. That would make no sense out in the open (which is the instance I was talking about where it seemed like a scav ported on top of me in Customs) One of the comments made more sense to me: "The issue with scavs suddenly appearing is based on the following, first of all they can spawn behind you, literally behind you. Second is that due to the update of scav ai in .12 scavs sometimes sneak up to sounds they heard. For example they will sneak up a stair if they hear someone looting. They investigate gunfire carefully as well."

Anyway, everyone is saying 'steam audio' will fix all of this so can't wait.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Anyway, everyone is saying 'steam audio' will fix all of this so can't wait.

If it works well with the game then it will be incredible step up.

Sound travel and volume realistically simulated within space. Utilizing surface materials, distance, turns etc. to calculate sound bounce resulting in very impressive simulation of audio travel.

Oct 28, 2017
I've played it for about 8 hours now and I guess I just don't get the appeal. It's a sort of loot game where the best possible loot is slightly less shitty guns and armor, but the shooting and movement don't feel particularly good anyway so... It's weird because I do like the focus on realism, it just doesn't feel good to play. Even when I come out with a good haul I just kind of feel annoyed because now I have to do inventory busy-work. It's boring.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
If it works well with the game then it will be incredible step up.

Sound travel and volume realistically simulated within space. Utilizing surface materials, distance, turns etc. to calculate sound bounce resulting in very impressive simulation of audio travel.

That's my 1 issue is the sound stuff. If they fix that and end up connecting the zones - I'm afraid I might get addicted like World of Warcraft back in the day.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my 1 issue is the sound stuff. If they fix that and end up connecting the zones - I'm afraid I might get addicted like World of Warcraft back in the day.

Yeah the audio is my big prob as well. I find it very hard to judge how far away a gun fight is or a scav yelling in russian

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just heard about this the other day and it looks pretty good. Too bad I missed the sale. For people who have played both this and hunt showdown, which is more enjoyable? I'm considering getting one of the two.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
My hope is that a developer/publisher out there does their own AAA version of their own. If this were PUBG, we need a fortnite version of this so to speak. As good as the game is, it can be a bit too hardcore at times.

I think it would be great to have other games in this space, but I think this game is so great because it's a smaller team working on it and because it's so hardcore. AAA developers/publishers simply wouldn't take half the risks that Battlestate Games is taking to make this game as great as it is. They risk entirely alienating a majority of potential customers for the sake of the game itself. Because of this, the game is fresh, and because of that, it's finally getting popular the way it deserves.

As I said, I hope there are more games like this in the future. But I can't imagine anyone bigger will make it better.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Tarkov's one of the best shooters currently on the market, in my view

I've not been this sucked in by a game since WoW

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The game has one of the best gameplay loops I've seen in a good long while. Think survival MMO. It's tough but very rewarding. I'm really glad to see it trending so high these days. My hope is that a developer/publisher out there does their own AAA version of their own. If this were PUBG, we need a fortnite version of this so to speak. As good as the game is, it can be a bit too hardcore at times. Not to mention, it's not the most optomized game in the world.
Honestly, they've been making it less hardcore over time. Healing has always been pretty arcade and is much more so now that you can fix blacked out limbs.

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
I remember listening to a podcast with the dev and shroud and they were talking about some upcoming sound engine changes which will add vertical sound which sounds SUPER exciting if true.

not sure if they want to add proximity chat, but vertical sound will be a game changer.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for playing?

Ive just been playing as a scav so far since I don't want to risk gear until I get the hang of it.

I've done 5 runs on customs and have yet to escape once. I've been playing with maps as well so I know where to go. I've been sneaking around, but I always seem to get found and since my gear sucks I get killed instantly.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
not sure if they want to add proximity chat, but vertical sound will be a game changer.
Prox chat is planned, it will be a megaton when it drops in terms of emergence, people will actually team up with strangers (they already do, but it's obv difficult), people will probably beg for their lives giving you pause instead of indiscriminately murdering everything that moves, could make demands to said player, "give me something worth my while and I'll let you live" it'll be a total game changer for the average raid.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for playing?

Ive just been playing as a scav so far since I don't want to risk gear until I get the hang of it.

I've done 5 runs on customs and have yet to escape once. I've been playing with maps as well so I know where to go. I've been sneaking around, but I always seem to get found and since my gear sucks I get killed instantly.

It took me 8 runs as my PMC/Player on Customs to achieve an extraction, so yeah I lost a lot of decent gear in that learning process. As a SCAV I've had much better luck. I'd say I make Extraction around 8/9 times out of 10. I just play it safe and try and avoid fights head-on as most other players I've encountered are really well geared, so there's no point in trying to take on squads as you'll just get outgunned/outnumbered/flanked pretty easily.

I do take on duos myself, as if you get the jump on them it can be pretty easy and fast to take down a few players who aren't sure of where you are. I just hang around and take the scraps off the dead bodies when no-one is around, loot the hidden lootspots hidden around the map and hug the fence-lines to get to the extraction point. Try and avoid being out in the open anywhere, and take it slowly.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any tips for playing?

Don't aggro other scavs and there will be almost no one to shoot at you anyway.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It took me 8 runs as my PMC/Player on Customs to achieve an extraction, so yeah I lost a lot of decent gear in that learning process. As a SCAV I've had much better luck. I'd say I make Extraction around 8/9 times out of 10. I just play it safe and try and avoid fights head-on as most other players I've encountered are really well geared, so there's no point in trying to take on squads as you'll just get outgunned/outnumbered/flanked pretty easily.

I do take on duos myself, as if you get the jump on them it can be pretty easy and fast to take down a few players who aren't sure of where you are. I just hang around and take the scraps off the dead bodies when no-one is around, loot the hidden lootspots hidden around the map and hug the fence-lines to get to the extraction point. Try and avoid being out in the open anywhere, and take it slowly.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot. Any recommended maps?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Aside from the server performance due to exploding popularity, tarkov seems way more polished than any of the 100hrs I put into pubg in late 2018 and early 2019

Early PUPG was hold together by bubblegum and tape. Tarkov seems indeed more polished and had nothing bug out on me yet.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Best short form video or website to help me understand how to play the damn game?

I would just watch stream of the game for 30 to 60 minutes at least. Should cover loop 1 to 2 times depending on how long streamer takes in the raid.

Suggestions are https://www.twitch.tv/sequisha, https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel and https://www.twitch.tv/pestily

Most video material that is out there is tutorials for individual aspects of the game and "How to..." e.g. cheese level some stat.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would just watch stream of the game for 30 to 60 minutes at least. Should cover loop 1 to 2 times depending on how long streamer takes in the raid.

Suggestions are https://www.twitch.tv/sequisha, https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel and https://www.twitch.tv/pestily

Most video material that is out there is tutorials for individual aspects of the game and "How to..." e.g. cheese level some stat.
www.twitch.tv/dangheesling for a more fun, less hardcore Tarkov experience.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bought this yesterday.

Swear to god, this is the Dark Souls of first person shooters. Game is BRUTAL to new players.

MyPastIsMyFutre

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 12, 2019

I watch Sacriel often but I really struggle with knowing the extraction and when to sell items and what to keep etc.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

biocat

Oct 25, 2017
A friend is asking me to play this with him, but I'm in Tokyo and he's in Los Angeles. How are the servers for this?
We never had problems with games like PUBG or Overwatch. But when we tried MW, it was a complete unplayable lag-fest on my side. I don't want to buy another game only to find it completely unplayable together.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A friend is asking me to play this with him, but I'm in Tokyo and he's in Los Angeles. How are the servers for this?
We never had problems with games like PUBG or Overwatch. But when we tried MW, it was a complete unplayable lag-fest on my side. I don't want to buy another game only to find it completely unplayable together.
Right now, everyone and their mother started playing, so their servers are taking a hit. I can't even imagine trying to play with someone that far away.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been keen on this game since it was first announced by the Stalker peeps. Now is my time. Australian servers?