Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Exactly what it says on the title -- tell us about a playable character in a video game with a name that you consider unbearably dumb, silly, or embarrassing. The kind of name that made you wonder what the developers were thinking when they graced the character with THAT monicker.

("Playable" means a character that the player has to control, so NPCs and peripheral characters don't count)

My choice, debuting in Mortal Kombat II -- Noob Saibot.
200px-Noob_Saibot.png

So here we have a game with (at the time) cutting-edge graphics, bloody decapitations, and more tryhard teenage testosterone than a monster truck rally. Every fighter is a badass who can kick your ass seven ways to Sunday, with exotic and intimidating names like "Scorpion", "Jax", "Kano", "Goro", "Baraka", and "Shao Khan"...

...and then you get "Noob Saibot", a name that doesn't roll off the tongue, proclaims oneself to be a beginning loser of the highest order, and sounds like a seven-year-old being clever by spelling his name backwards (for obvious reasons).

Sure, he was a bona fide badass in the game, but he's forever saddled with such a dorky name.

NEXT!

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
OP, you realize that's his name because it's Boon Tobias backwards right? The creators of Mortal Kombat?

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
Zombie Revenge had a character named Stick Breitling, and Carrier had a lady named Jessifer.

I think the Dreamcast has this on lock

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Names like Aloy and Joule make me roll my eyes.

Earthbound's Poo always makes me giggle though, I know I'm immature.
latest

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slippy. Goofy name, yes. But seriously enough with her bullshit. Why is she a wingman of mine if she keep getting into situations where I gotta save her ass!

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A lot of older videogame characters names are stupid, it's just they were ingrained to us as children.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the official translation but some of y'all insist on calling my boy "Butz", I swear...
Shulk is up there (Xenoblade)
I remember thinking it was a joke name coined by fans for months until the game finally released in the west lmao.

Last edited:

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
surprised to not see Waluigi mentioned yet.

when i was a kid i imagined an evil counterpart for Luigi but never imagined a name as weird as that. even with proper context it's weird.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'm not sure if this counts but I remember I was super bummed when I found out Tidus from FFX's name was pronounced "TEE-DUS" and not "TIDE-US"

I thought Tidus was cool because water was such a big thing in FFX but now I can't think of his name without subconsciously pronouncing it as "Tit-us"

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Miles Kilo (Syndicate) is up there on the silly scale. It's a great, incredibly dumb name.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Edge Maverick from Star Ocean 4.

The name speaks for itself, really.

First post and all of that.

But uh... Philbright Westriverside Warehouserock the XXVI is quite possibly the worst fucking name I have ever encountered in video games, yes even over Trevor McFur.

EDIT: The name comes from the GBA version of Zone Of Enders. You've probably never heard of Trevor McFur, possibly because you never owned an Atari Jaguar.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sol Badguy is unbeatable, so I will go with the honorable mention "every american sounding name the japanese devs had to create for Fighting Baseball on the snes"

2O3utzQ.jpg

Does Miles Prower count?

Not only it is a bad pun on Miles per Hour but "tails" as a nickname just sounds that Sonic was bullying the poor fox that was born with 2 tails as a mutation

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon trainers having official names as Red, Blue and Gold is pretty dumb

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhhh noob saibot is the names of the MK creators spelled backwards.

So many choices from FF games or Kingdom Hearts especially.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The Punch Out! series has a ton of embarrassingly bad names, but the worst has to be Pizza Pasta from the original arcade release.
screenshot_pizza_pasta.gif

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Fayt is just freaking dumb. Edge Maverick is a clear sign that the producers actively hate the people playing the game.
Edge Maverick is a bad rpg name. Fayt Leingod is a bad rpg name by developers who think they are being clever in naming their main character Fate but misspelled.