• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf.jpg

Miis are getting old quick, and I thought, what if they get replaced like the Xbox Live avatars?

If you don't know, Microsoft is replacing all the avatars with a more detailed and charismatic avatars in early 2018

Since Nintendo is softly letting the Miis die, which would be a good replacement for them?

I think the villagers are very very unique and good looking characters with high customisation options, yet they are very simple and iconic, so I think they would be great to replace the Miis.

What do you think? Do you think the Miis need a replacement at all? and if you do, which would be better?

I honestly would love a better Mii system, more complex and maybe close to what Microsoft is cooking however, maybe they don't need that much of a change but maybe a clean up and add some stuff and more options.

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus I've never seen those. It's like Disney characters but without any soul. It's horrifying.

Anyway, yes, villagers are the way to go. From a designer's point of view, it's always better to not indulge in overdetailed branding, and since avatars are kinda users' brands, they need to be "less" to be more relatable.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I like the look of Miis. Nintendo just needs more integration between Miitomo and the Switch.

We also need Tomodachi Switch.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think it is a mistake for Nintendo to let Miis and Mii Verse go. It had a lot of potential and was actually quite fun. I hope they bring it back.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused why Animal Crossing is used as the example here? The Animal Crossing avatars are animal Crossing villagers and not Mii's. There was Mii mask that could be used but that was a clothing item rather than a Mii avatar.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus I've never seen those. It's like Disney characters but without any soul. It's horrifying.

Anyway, yes, villagers are the way to go. From a designer's point of view, it's always better to not indulge in overdetailed branding, and since avatars are kinda users' brands, they need to be "less" to be more relatable.
I agree to some degree, they look some sort of lab designed? I dig them but not as much as I could be

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused why Animal Crossing is used as the example here? The Animal Crossing avatars are animal Crossing villagers and not Mii's. There was Mii mask that could be used but that was a clothing item rather than a Mii avatar.
Because one of the topics is to guess what could be a good replacement for the Miis, since they are kind of old and forgotten but the Villagers are pretty popular and they function to a similar level; cute representation of the player.

Taking into consideration that Animal Crossing is popular and is also a Nintendo based IP I thought it would be a good fit for an hypothetical replacement, sorry if it wasn't properly explained in the OP

I think we moved on from avatar creation like Mii, Playstation Home, and Avatars. Dressing up Link and Mario is way more fun.
If I can get my cute wrestling Pink Link to represent me as my icon or character in future games I will be so happy

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Miis aren't going to be replaced with something else, just like Mario and Link aren't going to be replaced with something else. They're their own thing, and Nintendo will pull them out when they think they find a fitting game for them, like Miitomo.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree to some degree, they look some sort of lab designed? I dig them but not as much as I could be
I look at them and have flashbacks of Disney movies and Overwatch, they don't really tell me "I'm an original person! Yay" and also look original and "Xboxey"... Original avatars weren't amazing but they reached a point where they just fit in, these are a step back considering the Xbox and Microsoft branding and design language, that went into the flat/digital look for everything.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Miis were old back in 2006.

Personally, I'd prefer to express the physical appearance of my avatar with a numerical sequence. A Mii code, if you will.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Those Xbox avatars are horrendous.

I suspect Nintendo distanced themselves from Miis to an extent because of the issues with associating their new console too strongly with a failed system like the Wii U. I'd be happy for them to continue using them with some refinements and upgrades, as I think the more abstracted, simplistic approach to user avatars is far more effective than something like the Xbox avatars.

The limitations of the Mii design "palette" also encouraged a lot of creativity in terms of creating likenesses, and I'd like to see that remain. Perhaps the best way forward with the Mii system would be to keep the limitations on facial features etc., but expand the cosmetics you can use to "dress up" your Mii a la Miitomo, and encourage sharing and Mii exchange with a more robust Mii app.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I never liked Miis, I associate them to the worst side of Nintendo (the prominent One during Wii Dark ages). But tbh I think the new ones of Xbox are even worst, so maybe I just don't care about the stuff. If they really need a substitute I'd suggest using Wind Waker art style

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd like 2D animated characters, from the Nintendo repertoire to pick. A bit like Microsoft Office had with the various helpers.

ms_link01vmz4g.gif

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Those Xbox avatars are horrendous.

I suspect Nintendo distanced themselves from Miis to an extent because of the issues with associating their new console too strongly with a failed system like the Wii U. I'd be happy for them to continue using them with some refinements and upgrades, as I think the more abstracted, simplistic approach to user avatars is far more effective than something like the Xbox avatars.

The limitations of the Mii design "palette" also encouraged a lot of creativity in terms of creating likenesses, and I'd like to see that remain. Perhaps the best way forward with the Mii system would be to keep the limitations on facial features etc., but expand the cosmetics you can use to "dress up" your Mii a la Miitomo, and encourage sharing and Mii exchange with a more robust Mii app.

Because the Wii U was such a failure I suspect most people still know Miis from the Wii or the 3DS, probably mostly the Wii.

I don't think the distancing is due to Wii U's failure but the company refocusing back on the core games market. Miis are too closely tied to casual Nintendo and could still come back for their casual games.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Because the Wii U was such a failure I suspect most people still know Miis from the Wii or the 3DS, probably mostly the Wii.

I don't think the distancing is due to Wii U's failure but the company refocusing back on the core games market. Miis are too closely tied to casual Nintendo and could still come back for their casual games.

Point. Perhaps it would have been better to say that Nintendo deliberately moved away from the Wii approach with Switch, where they hadn't with Wii U - where they revisited Wii Sports, reused Miis, reused Wii Remotes etc. etc. - or 3DS and Miis were a casualty of that distancing. They reused some of the good ideas from Wii/Wii U/3DS, but carefully repackaged or with the emphasis shifted.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Miis are great and I hope they don't die. I see a lot of them in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Switch

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
They already updated the options for Miis in the Mii Maker in Switch. They also brought those updates to Miitomo a few months ago. You can see your Miitomo Mii and clothes in My Nintendo and Super Mario Run.

At the Nintendo World Championships the participants were represented by Miis on the scoreboard.

Miis aren't dying. They just aren't focused on now.

If they want to improve customization they've already produced hundreds on unique clothing and accessories for Miis in Miitomo and still have new clothes come out every few days.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Miis are great, they are very simplistic but unique at the same time. Miitomo was the overhaul Miis needed, with all those clothes available your Mii can not only look like you, but also have a bit of your personality through clothing. Nintendo just need to allow us to use our Miitomo's Mii on the Switch, and I'm sure that's the plan.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If Nintendo was gonna get rid of Miis, they would have done it with the Switch. The Miis have taken on a life of their own beyond the Wii brand. As for how to use them better, Mega Man Zero hit the nail on the head.
Miis aren't going to be replaced with something else, just like Mario and Link aren't going to be replaced with something else. They're their own thing, and Nintendo will pull them out when they think they find a fitting game for them, like Miitomo.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Swatchells. Sick Nintendo style name. Fits well with Switch. Cross promo with swatch watch. BOOM.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Don't replace them.

Adding detail and stuff just makes them venture into uncanny valley.

They're memorable and cute the way they are.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Point. Perhaps it would have been better to say that Nintendo deliberately moved away from the Wii approach with Switch, where they hadn't with Wii U - where they revisited Wii Sports, reused Miis, reused Wii Remotes etc. etc. - or 3DS and Miis were a casualty of that distancing. They reused some of the good ideas from Wii/Wii U/3DS, but carefully repackaged or with the emphasis shifted.

For sure, I think it is deliberate. They kept just enough of the Mii interface around to make existing users feel comfortable while not putting them center stage. Our NNID is still tied to Mii icons (at least mine is) so there's that. I think it will become more of a menu/UI feature in the future rather than the center stage they took during the Wii and early part of the Wii U/3DS era

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Miis are great and Nintendo shouldn't replace them. They do need an update with more styles and clothing options.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still playing Miitopia and I love the Miis. We need more of them!

It's cool how Miitopia gives the Miis a bunch of new expressions and stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has yet to develop a Switch game that really would facilitate the use of Miis outside of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and even then, that's a Wii U port. When Nintendo finds a good use for them on Switch, they'll whip them out again. Not every Nintendo game needs to use them just because they're there.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
Man we loved the Mii's Back in the day. The first time we played Wii Bowling and there were various friends cheering us on in the background was great. I still do the Wii Fit U and my character runs past various friends and family members Miis and it still makes me smile.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Man we loved the Mii's Back in the day. The first time we played Wii Bowling and there were various friends cheering us on in the background was great. I still do the Wii Fit U and my character runs past various friends and family members Miis and it still makes me smile.

Yeah, things like this are why there should be better ways to share Miis on current devices and new applications to use them in, besides Miitopia. Making and using Miis was quick and easy in 2006, surely it shouldn't be any harder in 2017?

They're getting there as they have added new options that didn't exist in the original Mii creator on the Wii.

It's also great that Wii era Miis are forward compatible. You can import an old Mii and give them a new hairstyle that wasn't available on Wii or something. Doing the same thing again should be relatively easy.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the Miis were purposefully let die on a hill by Nintendo and I don't understand why to be honest. They work perfectly fine in my opinion and don't need much of an improvement, maybe they could just be upgraded visually a bit and that's it.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mii faces are fine. I'd like more proportionate variety. Clothing is the more obvious one.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know what the answer is. Lose the Miis (or at least upgrade their tech to not look so... 2005.. I don't mean make them more detailed, but the outlines on some of features floating off the face don't always look great..) and instead, as your picture atop inspires, use Animal Crossing styled people, but you can create your own features fully.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Miis were purposefully let die on a hill by Nintendo and I don't understand why to be honest.

Except that isn't the case as they released Miitopia a 3DS game starring the Mii, you can use a Mii as your icon on the Switch, MyNintendo heavily uses the Mii, Miitomo is still on mobile app store.

Mii aren't going anywhere nor are they left to die by Nintendo, they are just treated the same like any other Nintendo IP.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Mii's aren't going anywhere. I think they've temporarily been put on the backburner though while Nintendo has been focusing on the Switch's launch and first year. And none of the games they've released for Switch, sans Mario Kart, could particularly accomodate them anyway.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned how little integration there is between the Switch and Miitomo. "Win this outfit and decorate your room, which only people playing the app can see."