• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned how little integration there is between the Switch and Miitomo. "Win this outfit and decorate your room, which only people playing the app can see."

Agreed. There's this weird half-integration where you can use them for avatars but it doesn't seem to let you even import your Miitomo/ID Mii, etc.

Not to mention that Splatoon 2 wants you to assign a Mii to any new Amiibo even though the above is true. I didn't even end up scanning the new Squid one I got (mostly for its looks rather than the bonus though) because I was too lazy to figure out the Mii stuff then and never got around to it after.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't think they need to be replaced. They're simple and iconic; practically a mascot in themselves for Nintendo now.

Not sure why OP thinks Nintendo is letting them die. You can use them as your profile icon on the Switch and as a driver in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Hell one of Nintendo's big mobile apps centers around them as does a RPG title that launched this year.

And My Nintendo is coated in the dang things.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sonic-forces-custom-hero-tw.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Stick with Miis, they're cute and harmless. I think they're fine where they are now; just nothing but avatars at this point and aren't shoehorned into everything anymore, nor do they have their own series anymore (the Wii series is a tad redundant). Of course Miitopia and Miitomo do look to turn that into a literal Mii series.

Macleoid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I like Mii, they have character. I hope they stick around.

That hideous thing in the OPs video is surely the earthly manifestation of the demon who will torture the souls of the advertising executives who designed campaigns to promote formula milk in third world.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Expand on Miis, more customization and clothes that we cna buy with the MyNintendo Coins

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned how little integration there is between the Switch and Miitomo. "Win this outfit and decorate your room, which only people playing the app can see."
Yeah. And how pushed to the back Miis are on the Switch.

I like Miis, they are cute and simple but it's easy to get a decent likeness of you or a friend or a family member and it was always nice seeing them show up in the background of some games (and using them as fighters in Smash). It really sucks how we don't get to dress up our Miis. You'd think they'd want the cross platform synergy with Miitomo. Get costumes and junk from Miitomo, dress up nice, show off on the Switch, get people to download and "play" Miitomo to get the clothing and maybe hook a few whales or dolphins or whatever other aquatic mammal business people like to eat.

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing the sentiments that they should be kept and expanded on while keeping their "art style", with the clothing options from Miitomo and Tomodachi Life and Miitopia. But they don't really need to be marketed and up front and center, I think it would make sense for Nintendo to make them into their own brand of games encompassing the three I mentioned and any future experiments like them.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Miis, they are cute and look like a Nintendo avatar should. I don't want them to die.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's so strange that there such a disconnect between the Mii's on mobile/games and the actual consoles. Miitomo, Miitopia and Tomodachi Life gives them a personality and clothing, but absolutely nothing is carries over on to the consoles. They're just there and that's kind of it.

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
Nintendo should never replace the Miis. They've become iconic towards the Nintendo franchise since their introduction on the Wii. They were probably one of my best memories of the Wii era, giving me a unique and individual character to use when playing against my friends.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I'm actually pretty upset that Miis are going down the drain. It's hard enough to find decent character creators these days, let alone ones that give ethnic hair options. I don't need less dreadlock options in this industry that caters to 57 different styles of basic straight hair.

Plus, I really like the look of my Miis.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Echoing the sentiments that they should be kept and expanded on while keeping their "art style", with the clothing options from Miitomo and Tomodachi Life and Miitopia.

Yeah. Miitopia and Tomodachi and Miitomo should be the basis for the third generation of Miis. Take some of the new features and presentation from those, maybe simplify it a bit, and build new Miis on that while still retaining compatibility with old Miis. Would be awesome.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Oh I hadn't seen those new Xbox avatars. I actually kind of like them.

Miis felt like a product of the Wii though. They already felt outdated on the Wii U. Not even sure why there's an option to create a Mii on the Switch. I guess Nintendo did the market research to determine it was worthwhile, but they just shut down Miiverse so they couldn't be that worthwhile.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing should become the defacto world that your personal Nintendo avatars exist in. But it may not be homogeneous enough for some people. I mean it really stands out.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Mii's need replacing, they work great as avatars and don't look absolutely horrid like MS's new avatars

the only thing Mii's need are more options like clothing and accessories

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Since like 60% of my time with the Switch is playing Mario Kart, i'm ok with the Miis. Don't think Nintendo should replace them.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
the only thing Mii's need are more options like clothing and accessories

Agreed. Honestly, they've never been as robust as they should be and some of the choices are just bad (the noses are terrible). I don't see Nintendo eliminating them anytime soon or doing a complete redesign, but additional/better looking customizations would be nice.

That said, I've really only ever enjoyed seeing my Mii in Wii Sports and Sports Resort. When it is optional, like in Mario Kart, I never use it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Not even sure why there's an option to create a Mii on the Switch. I guess Nintendo did the market research to determine it was worthwhile, but they just shut down Miiverse so they couldn't be that worthwhile.

Miiverse must have been expensive to upkeep, and it was mostly a product of the Wii U, which is winding down.

But Miis? They're big. Tomodachi Life is almost at 6 million WW. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/3ds.html

And Miitopia is selling well too. https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-october-2017-shadow-of-war-1-sw-nintendo-switch-1-hw.6580/

Nintendo 3DS
  1. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
  2. Metroid: Samus Returns
  3. Miitopia

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
We need the Super Mario equivalent of Sonic Forces. Let us bring joy to the world with custom Waluigis!

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like these new Xbox avatars are moreso an extension of the prior ones, rather than a refresh. I think something similar could be done with Miis, especially after Miitomo. The customization options in there did breathe a bit of life into them. I also feel their implementation of dynamic expressions was off, so I wouldn't mind them messing with facial features to accomodate for it. The name could probably dropped at this point, though to what, I wouldn't know.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Let them die a slow and painful death.

Then, replace them with Animal Crossing OCs. Integrate them into the network, make peoples online lobbies be villages. Blow up the Animal Crossing brand into something more than just a game. People will spend millions on new clothes and trinkets for their online house that is built into the Switch online...network thing. Before you know it, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Putting in my application for CEO after this.