• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 2, 2018
Massive lols at the thought of FF2 being better than FF15!

FF15 may have an identity crisis (in fact I think the franchise as a whole) but at least is not a broken, unplayable, and un fun mess like FF2.

FF II at least has a turn-based battle system (even if the rest of it is pretty weird) and not that cluster-fuck that's the action based combat of XV. You also don't have to watch a movie and an anime to experience the full story of the game and I also vastly prefer the characters of this NES game to those found in 2016s FF XV. I'm sorry and at least this is pretty subjective, but I absolutely hate those four main characters.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who bought it on release and didn't play it until a year later...it's a dope game. It's packed with so much that I got a platinum for it which says a lot given I usually don't go for that. It's also perfect for a podcast game.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I bought the $90 version when it came out. I hated every minute of it but saw it through to the end. I'm willing to go back if it's better.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF II at least has a turn-based battle system (even if the rest of it is pretty weird) and not that cluster-fuck that's the action based combat of XV. You also don't have to watch a movie and an anime to experience the full story of the game and I also vastly prefer the characters of this NES game to those found in 2016s FF XV. I'm sorry and at least this is pretty subjective, but I absolutely hate those four main characters.
The story in XV is severely flawed but whatever FF2 has that wants to pass as a story it really doesn't even qualify as that.

Sep 14, 2018
It's a pretty generic video game, if you never play it you won't have missed anything noteworthy.

Except that dungeon with a bunch of master yoda tonberries, that was fun.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vapid. Generic. Forgettable. Style over substance. It's every that Japanese gaming fans hate about western games.

Here's the problem, It's far from great and far from awful, But do you really want to spend weeks playing a basic ass game?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I enjoyed the graphics and art on my first play through and am wondering if I should dive in again now that's it's been updated and has DLC... I played it close to release originally.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's fucking boring. I'd rather play 13. You hold down a button, listen to quips between your characters as the only type of character progression, and follow a hardly there story while you travel a big open boring world with nothing to do but kill the same 4 enemies all the time. Pass. Hard pass.

History: Was hyped since that first trailer, bought the deluxe collectors whatever on launch, got bored of it 15 hours in. Diddn't finish 'til the PC port came out some time last year. Still bored but finished it because I felt like I had an obligation to do so.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite in the series despite the many flaws it has. Loved my time with the crew and even played much of the post content just so that i could hear them chat again. Noctis is my favorite FF protag by far.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
There isn't one, but I've noticed the ones who like it seem to be obsessive about it.

I thought everything besides music and graphics sucked. I don't know what they tried to do with the combat system, but it did NOT work. For me its in the bottom three with XIII and XIV but I don't even count the NES games.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think it's a mediocre game at its best moments and a really bad one most of the time.

Nov 5, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with both the vanilla and Royal editions of XV. It's in my personal top 3, alongside IX and XII.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the graphics and art on my first play through and am wondering if I should dive in again now that's it's been updated and has DLC... I played it close to release originally.
I think you may as well wait to see if they do anything with next generation, especially since they still have an Ardyn DLC coming. I wouldn't put it past them frankly, and the engine has a lot of juice in it, so a theoretical PS5/NextBox version will be quite a difference.

For what it's worth, my brother recently played the game (Royal Edition) which was his first experience, and he thought it was pretty great, aside from the story which he thought felt rushed, and a bit simple for Final Fantasy. His favorite FF is IX. He's someone who doesn't scour the internet or read up stuff so it's a fresher perspective compared to peeps who literally eye up everything about games and build up their expectations. Some of the stuff he really liked though definitely wasn't there at release (driving the car everywhere, being able to control the other dudes, the Ignis and Prompto DLC episodes, and basically the entire ending chapter). The other stuff he enjoyed such as combat, all the crazy ass monsters, and just running around doing a bunch of dungeons wasn't changed as far as I remember. So there does seem to be elements there that are pretty good which were obviously added later, but I'm not sure how that'd work on a revisit since it's not exactly the first time.

But yeah, I'd personally wait to see if there's a next generation update coming. We're not far really, so if there is one, we'll probably know by early to mid next year.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Great game that needed more time in the oven after its development reboot to be truly excellent.

I feel the same about FFXII and FFXIII, too. Enjoyed all 3 (XII, XIII, and XV), but I can't shake the feeling of untapped potential that could have been taken advantage of with more development time. Guess you could say that for practically ANY game though, huh?

To me it's just a really unfortunate trend with single player FFs since X released. Hope VIIR and/or XVI buck that trend.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
It's a fun romp, but a deeply flawed one in almost every aspect of it. The story is butchered, the combat system isn't really really that compelling or nuanced, but honestly, when you're driving around with your "bros", hunting monsters and stumbling upon the odd dungeon or two, it's really fun and engaging. If you take to the 4 main characters and their interactions, you'll appreciate it even more. It has its moments and sometimes shines, but there is a fair share of half-baked and downright awful aspects to it (mainly the story). It's a mixed bag, but ultimately I enjoyed my time with it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't gonna be a consensus. The game is very divisive and some people love it and some people loathe it.

FF is a very difficult series to get a common opinion on in general and XV is more controversial than most.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It's a great game. All the hate is typical era bubble. Game is long and more than half the people who played it finished it. That right there should tell you most people liked it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Bland... sort of boring story ... but an enjoyable experience nonetheless if you cut out half the side quests...
I liked it.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in any of the additional side content unless it gets properly woven into the narrative of a standard playthrough unfortunately.

And even then they cancelled the ones that needed it the most.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
There is no consensus really.
A lot of people absolutely hate it.
Others like me really like it for various reasons.
My personal enjoyment came mostly from the cast and their interactions and the extremely beautiful world.

And the ending..

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I understood why I love this game so much. Most of the criticisms levelled at it are spot on, and I can totally see why someone would play it and be hugely disappointed, but I adore it. I played through it at launch, I played through it when the Royal Edition released, and I'll probably play through it again when the Ardyn DLC hits. I'm fond of the whole cast, not in spite of their dumbfuck weebery, but BECAUSE of it. I find the world and the combat really comforting, and I don't know why. I recently replayed Kingdom Hearts 2 and found myself reminiscing about FFXV. I love it, and i cant justify that love for a second.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really interested in any of the additional side content unless it gets properly woven into the narrative of a standard playthrough unfortunately.

And even then they cancelled the ones that needed it the most.
No, they didn't. Ardyn and Aranea were the canon DLC and only Aranea has been cancelled of the two. And it's not essential really, although it would've been interesting if only because it would've depicted Niflheim and what happened there. Noctis and Luna were some alternate story line bullshit.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No, they didn't. Ardyn and Aranea were the canon DLC and only Aranea has been cancelled of the two. And it's not essential really, although it would've been interesting if only because it would've depicted Niflheim and what happened there. Noctis and Luna were some alternate story line bullshit.
They were the ones I was interested in the most is what I mean. I wasn't aware though that some were canon and others not though.

Last edited:

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I played on release and really enjoyed it. Then got then PC version and didn't like it at all. Made me realise the story is super difficult to follow.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Massive lols at the thought of FF2 being better than FF15!

FF15 may have an identity crisis (in fact I think the franchise as a whole) but at least is not a broken, unplayable, and un fun mess like FF2.

Well I've played and beaten FF2 multiple times on multiple systems and had fun each time. So while it may be broken, it's not unplayable and is fun for some people.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
This was my first final fantasy, and I played the royal edition on pc. I NEVER played the original release so I don't know what that was like but I heard the complaints.
Pros:
Amazing visuals for both the world and the combat
The characters won me over despite really not liking the edgy biker goth aesthetic.
The story starts off great, and the combat while shallow, is still fun.
The scale of some of the fights is really cool.
Great music
One of the most bizarre but interesting worlds I've ever visited in a game. (They put everything and the kitchen sink in eos and it's awesome)

Cons:
The second half of the game falls apart still. If this is improved I can't imagine what it was originally like.
The story seems to pace up and suddenly everything is happening at break neck speed and you just get funneled down hallway after hallway with constant combat.
Coming off the amazing open world section this last half of the game feels like a different title almost.

If the whole game was more like the first half it could've been one of the best games I ever played, but instead it has to settle with being great. I still loved the game despite the problems in the latter half and here I am working my way through ffx, xii, and xiii. So the game still made a fan out of me!

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Don't take the story seriously. Find some of the epic side boss battles,secrets, and enjoy the combat. It has a ton of good content.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In short it sucks.
There are a few things that work, but that's not enough to make it not suck or make it worthy of the FF name.
The graphics are nice and they did manage to infuse the gang with just enough personality to make you care about them, even though the story, pacing, gameplay, and setting are all complete garbage.
It's simply just not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
There's no consensus. Opinion varies wildly from "omg this is the best thing since my first time having sex" to "omg this the worst thing since that Ford Pinto reverse demolition derby league." I lean toward the latter, but it's not a bad game, just...not a very good one, which doesn't cut it in a world where Monolithsoft gave us Xenoblade.

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely worth a replay. I played it 8 months after release, and despite the story being poorly told, I absolutely loved every single part of the game. My favorite section is everyone's most hated - the "stealth" section. As I was playing through the game, I was talking to friends who played and beat it at release. Due to my hype and explanations of the game, my friends dive back in to the game because so much was different for them. I want to go back and play it more, to do al the endgame stuff and tons of other things, but I have too many other games I haven't I played yet lined up first.

Also, just want to add, the game is totally different now than what it is at launch. If anyone is going to complain about how the game was back then, then get a grip on yourself. It's not how it is now, at all. Aside from the wonky story issues, from what I hear.
After completing it, i hated it. Did really so much changed?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want "general consensus" you're not going to find it. If you want my opinion, it's a garbage game that was the final nail in the Final Fantasy coffin for me. I'd sooner go back and replay FF13 before I ever let the game near my PS4.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a bad salad that wanted to be a steak.

S_Dev

Oct 26, 2017
The game started off really well, and then quickly degraded in quality after about the half way point. Don't give me an open world game, change your mind, and then slap the game on rails. That was beyond jarring. The combat was unique, but was grating after several hours.

"I was so excited when I got to the World of Darkness, thinking I had another whole open world portion of the game to go through, catch up on what happened while Noctis was out of the picture, the mind raced with possibilities. Then it was a straight shot to the final encounter, and on top of that, an ending that provides zero real closure.

It had so much potential, but I feel like they ran out of time and money to deliver a full game, especially with how technically impressive it is.