• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 15 is the worst amazing video game I've ever played.

ALTERNATIVELY:

Final Fantasy 15 is the best, most amazing bad video game I've ever played.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I will ask a different question:
If I liked FF XIII and XIII-2, chances are that I will also like XV?

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After completing it, i hated it. Did really so much changed?
Story telling is still poor, but the stealth section is dramatically better from what I hear, and that was most people's least favorite part of the game. For me, it was the absolute best and nothing else comes close. I've only played it the one time, but I hear from friends from me raving about the game that enough has changed to make them want to give it another shot

Kremling

The Fallen
Dec 15, 2017
After beating Kingdom Hearts 3, I honestly would place FFXV than KH3 and I had 0 hype for XV. I played on PC, so I didn't experience the original bugs/issues a lot of people had.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Side quest the game. There is like 4 hours of story and it's all so generic. I hated it.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
One man's trash is another man's treasure, and that game is definitely my trash. One of the worst games I've ever played and a big waste of time.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty good, after all the updates it has gotten you can play as the three chocobros which if you don't like Noctis's playstyle you can try the other ones to see if you like any of them better.

Gladio is more of a defensive character where if you block an attack you build a rage meter and you do more damage, Prompto is more about staying away and getting use out of his various fire-arms, and Ignis is about saying "Fuck You" to the enemies and faceroll them with ice-imbued daggers xd (Ignis is pretty OP).

Now you can go off-road with the regalia type-d, so it now can cut a lot on driving time and it is also pretty fun to drive around and to jump off of cliffs.

The three bro dlcs and the Royal edition do a lot to improve on the story of the game so don't sleep on them either.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Has high highs and low lows. Characters and story are very lacking but the game and game-play are fine and quite fun all the way up that fated chapter, then it's a shit show.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV is a game that was talked about to death.

I hate this game and I don't understand why it didnt get the same treatment as No Man's Sky did at release.

Anyway, there is no consensus as far as I know it...

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I liked it in parts. The story felt disjointed with major events happening off screen, other events happening too fast. The open world was sometimes cool, sometimes a chore. The 2nd continent felt rushed and unfinished. I liked the bro camaraderie but the game needed female party members too. The all black wardrobe was a really childish idea. I never played the episodes. I still think it's the right direction for FF, but next time they need better execution on major story events, better streamline options in the open world, female party members, and color in the wardrobe. Also I'm done with the current theme. Go back to steampunk or deiselpunk. I guess FF7R is the answer to a lot of these complaints.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great character animation, bad everything else. Incoherent story and incoherent art style. Obnoxious stupid looking unrelatable and unlikeable main cast.

Joei

Feb 3, 2018
Unless it was changed on updates, (beat it prior to all the changes) I didn't like the combat for post game stuff. What I mean is that when you want to use buffs and debuffs, it was a pain constantly going in and out the menu to apply abilities to your ability list. Prompto, for example, has some great abilities but you can only assign one to him. So you use that, then have to pause the game and assign a new ability to him. I thought it was an absolute pain. Of course I could have been overthinking the battles and combat.

For the rest of the game, until post game, most combat was mindlessly boring and easy, but I thought it could have been superb. I also didn't like how you could only have one quest active at a time, thus going back and forth to release a quest and get a new one is incredibly time consuming because of ridiculous loading times and just being a pain.

I really enjoyed the cast and overall visuals of the game. I also thought the caves and dungeons were excellent as well and just what I wanted from a modern FF game.

OP
OP
MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Should I wait for episode ardyn to replay this? Havent played since launch. Havent played any of the episodes.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
PC version looks incredible with the right hardware, open world is huge and the first half are fun. Second half is baaaaaaaaad.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should I wait for episode ardyn to replay this? Havent played since launch. Havent played any of the episodes.
Yes its the same what i am doing.
Played it at launch and waiting for the Ardyn dlc to replay it fully.

Liked the game but yeah it needed some kh like final mix stuff the patches and dlcs should suffice for that.

I actually hope kh3 gets some dlc aswell cuz i feel the same as when i olayed ffxv that it misses some stuff.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the story was garbage, especially when it does a 180 and jumps off the deep end. The combat was fun though and once you get into it, it makes it worth playing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I assume i am not the general consensus, but i felt like FFXV loses all its magic 5~10 hours in and i just couldnt care after that amd didnt enjoy it anymore.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so. It might put some events into perspective, but it won't affect the overall feel of the game, I figure.

Do play the other episodes together with the main game though!

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Liked the game but yeah it needed some kh like final mix stuff the patches and dlcs should suffice for that.

I played at launch, stopped for a bit after racking up 80-90 hours before Ch. 9, recently went back and finished it and did the DLCs + Royal Pack when I returned. It's not a Final Mix style experience at all.

1. The existing episodes are standalone and not tied into the game naturally. You can manually work them into the game if you want but the rewards are pretty insignificant, and they don't really add much new in the way of insight into the characters.

2. Royal Pack is probably closer to what you're looking for, and the biggest change by far is the extended final dungeon. Which is pretty well done and makes for a better final experience. But it doesn't overhaul any of the game systems in the same way that a Final Mix or International Edition would in the past.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Only consensus I've seen around it is that it is stratospheric, but I am unsure what that actually means in context--seems it might mean different things to different folk and is just another way of saying FFXV is FFXV more descriptively, alluding to a quality of the game but not putting it in intelligible terms.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I enjoyed the heck out of it.

When it comes to the lore, which is what a lot of people didn't like, there is a certain amount of "put it together yourself" that the game assumes you'll do. Things like the Cosmology, the in game references to expanded media, and general Final Fantasy lore are things they don't always show you or tell you about. Key story beats are sometimes only referenced in a line of dialogue, but that's how it would be from the perspective of the guys themselves.

The bros are pretty good protags. You learn a lot about them during the trip, and you figure out that they have a kind of relationship that has never been present before in a FF game. The DLC episodes help with this (especially Prompto and Ignis) and it's a shame we aren't getting the full season 2. Noctis is also a good hero. He goes through the full journey and has one heck of a final arc.

The story problems that I agree with are things like Lunafreya being understated and shown as weak, the sudden news of the insomnia invasion, and lots of unanswered questions about certain areas of the game. Places like the huge empty volcano area and Pitioss should have had something done to them.

Gameplay is great. People say combat is shallow, but with a good build, you can do some awesome things with finesse and skill. The break system is good and really shines on some bosses and larger enemies. Once they added the ability to switch playable party members, it turned into a whole new game. It was never a weak part of the game and now it's great.

I could write a lot about the fact that I believe the bros are the Warriors of Darkness rather than the Warriors of Light, the parallels to other games in the series, and the missed opportunities in the Amano key art, but those are for another time.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It is not the game i wanted or dreamed for years, not even close.

It is an extremely flawed title victim of all kinds of bad management issues.

That said, it still is an experience better than the sum of its parts, one with a warm heart that i am glad to have played and enjoyed not for what it was supposed to be.

Jan 9, 2018
It looks pretty, but I didn't like the combat system and the story was dull, and it takes way to loong to reach each point in the story. At the end, I dropped it after 15 hours or so over 3 weeks (I'm about 15 h now on FF IX in less than a week, for contrast)

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I played it on release and loved it, issues and all. The general story, characters, and music are some of my favorite in any FF, and the photo mode is really enjoyable. It's in my top 5 FF games.

I bought the Royal Edition a few months back but I've yet to give it a replay. Am I all good with it or do I have to download something else to enjoy the latest version of the game? Also, is there a New Game+ option so I can only focus on the story?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of wasted opportunity.

Good enough to make you wish it was better.
This! For me, I enjoyed my play-through, but you can areas where it could've been a better game. Hell, it could've been a GREAT game. Watching Episode Ardyn: Prologue yesterday, had all this backstory (along with the entirety of the Kingsglaive event) and such been in the actual game (along with other things), it could've been a fuckin' BRILLIANT modern FF game!

And personally speaking, they made SUCH a big deal about the car and road trip aspect because of that damned car ("it was going to be, like, the 5 party member!"), and that car was nothing more than a faster way to drive from point A to point B. In my ideal version, they would've cut the car, have Noctis and co. travel by foot (which makes more sense because they are fleeing Insomnia and have to keep off the main roads to not be detected, as driving around in a posh ROYAL car would draw too much attention), make the open world considerably SMALLER (bigger only fits for long drives between locations, giving the impression "Ooo, we are waisting time traveling from ____ to _____, it's SOOOOO realistic-like!").

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
Most unfinished game i bought this gen. Beat it, plat it and sold it asap for 50€
Strory telling is absolutely terrible. There is atleast 1 MAJOR ASS PULL plot twist that came out of nowhere for me (the prompto one) despite watching the shitty anime episodes and the movie.

Incoherent incomplete mess the game.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Most unfinished game i bought this gen. Beat it, plat it and sold it asap for 50€
Strory telling is absolutely terrible. There is atleast 1 MAJOR ASS PULL plot twist that came out of nowhere for me (the prompto one) despite watching the shitty anime episodes and the movie.

The thing that gets me about the Prompto thing is that it serves no purpose. It doesn't advance or alter the story in any meaningful way, there's no emotional impact upon any of the other characters, and they literally take all of 10 seconds to say everything they ever will say about the matter and just move on. The philosophical implications of Cup Noodles got more attention.

It was truly baffling, even more so than when the game tried to make me feel sad about Jared.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that there is consensus.

Some say that those disappointed with the final result are a minority, some say that the game was really poorly received once the honeymoon was over.

I personally did not like it and will not buy the next Final Fantasy on day 1 as a result of this disappointment.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I thought overall it's a mess and one of the worst FFs I've ever played. Realy hope 16 washes the taste out. cuz wooooof.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Mediocre game ,not the worst nor the best, you either love it for what it is or hate it for what it could have been. I'm on the hate from disappointment side. The most fun I had with the game and when it actually felt like a fantasy game was when you get the ring (after finally finishing the thousand hours hallway) hate those stupid elemental grenades, I wish all magic would have been rings instead.

At least if you play it now you will have so much more enjoyment than people like us who bought it early, I kinda want to give it another chance but I'm not going to pay for an update that fixes the game I have already bought.

Last edited:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It's still a mishmash of tech demos bolted together with a bunch of random cutscenes that make no sense.

The open world lacks content.
The combat mechanics are paper thin.
The bosses are terrible with few exceptions.
Everything is janky.
The story is insulting nonsense.

It's a bad game sandwiched between 2 good cutscenes.
It's badly outclassed by almost every modern game in the genre, like Xenoblade or Tales.

Last edited:

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It is an amazing game that's very fun to play but at the same time you never stop thinking that's a missed opportunity. I've never played a AAA game where it's cut content is so obvious. All games have small plot holes, cut content etc but In FFXV it feels so obvious.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The consensus is that it's good but flawed (I think?).

For me, I loved the game while playing it (I mean, I did almost every hunt back when you could only do one at a time lmao) and played it for 80 hours on release. Looking back though, it's flawed as hell.

And the less said about the story, the far better. It should come as no surprise that it's a disaster of the highest order given the director.