• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's Not the Marioverse, it's the street fighter verse, Ryu can link more things (including NINTENDO and the so called mario verse) than any videogame character in the history of video games.

Ryu has fought SNK, ergo, the KOF and SNK multiverse is linked.
Ryu has fought Marvel, therefore he links marvel and everything Marvel has crossed over with.
Ryu has fought the cast of family guy and american dad.
Ryu was in both Tatsunoko vs capcom and Project X Zone, therefore he links absolutely every single anime series featured in every Super Robot Wars game ever, this includes stuff that aren't even mecha anime like idol M@ster, Miku, Godzilla and Little Witch academia as well as anything those series have crosed over with (like the Trigger multiverse)
Ryu was part of the Sonic and Megaman crossover, therefore he link a ton of sega properties.
Ryu has crossed over with the power rangers, and by extention anything the PR have crossed over with (including DC and the Ninja Turtles)
Guile was part of the Harvey Birdman game, ergo, Ryu links the entire Hanna Barbera multiverse.
Ryu fought the Tekken characters, so that makes him link the Tekken and Soul Calibur universe
Ryu is in smash bros.
But Mario is linked to Ryu, and through Ryu, Mario is also linked to all those other things. Ryu links to the same amount of things as Mario, because they're part of the same web of connections.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
By that rule, all the connections outlined in this thread would be invalid.
Did you read the OP? Those "cheap connections" are the basis of the thread basically, lol.
I guess I just disagree. With SC2, those were special characters and special circumstances, I don't see very many similar examples in the thread, maybe the exclusive characters in Bomberman. But most of the examples seem pretty straightforward. I don't know, maybe I'm being dumb about this.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm looking into it.

This gave me a chuckle though
wVEcUR4.jpg

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I'm nominating XCOM and Hitman. Also, if reference to games as games don't count, then Life is Strange as well, though that's a smaller franchise. I also want to see what comes up for Deus Ex.
I'm not sure about the others, but XCOM isn't too hard. The XCOM team appears as a high end military unit in Civilization 5. As other people in the thread pointed out, you can connect Civilization to other properties via various historical personages. The direct approach is via Oda Nobunaga, who appeared in Pokemon Conquest.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about the others, but XCOM isn't too hard. The XCOM team appears as a high end military unit in Civilization 5. As other people in the thread pointed out, you can connect Civilization to other properties via various historical personages. The direct approach is via Tokagawa Ieyasu, who appeared in Pokemon Conquest.
Does that not violate the other medium rule?

(1) Must be a game. Links cannot be made by movies, TV shows or other medium.

I'm counting real life as a medium in this case.

Edit: Oh wait, I misunderstood. Tokagawa is in Civ? Nevermind then, that works.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Call of Duty has some kinda link but can't think of any off the top of my head

Predator is a playable character in Call of Duty: Ghosts.
Predator is a playable character in Mortal Kombat X.
Spawn is a playable character in Mortal Kombat 11.
Spawn is a playable character in Soul Calibur II.
Link is a playable character in Soul Calibur II.
Link is playable in Mario Kart 8.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
In GTA5, one of the objectives is called "Praise the Sun!", a reference to Solaire of Astora from Dark Souls. And as we've established, Dark Souls is part of the Mario universe.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Deus Ex had a crossover with Final Fantasy, where characters from Mankind Divided appeared in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

And Cloud is in Smash Bros.

For Hitman, Agent 47 appeared in Lara Croft's Poker Party, which also had JC Denton in it, so you can use the above connection there.

I got nothing for Life is Strange though.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I feel thanks to Smash and liberal crossovers, every single semi famous Japanese series is in the Mario extended universe. Hell, even a lot of western games.

I don't know much about Forza but I feel that would be a gateway between lots of western franchises and Mario due to having the Regalia (FFXV).

I'm also trying to find a link for Doom. Maybe Commander Keen in the Doom 2 secret level, whose original game started off as a Mario 3 PC port.

Also how about DOTA, PUBG, Fortnite... they have any crossovers?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also trying to find a link for Doom. Maybe Commander Keen in the Doom 2 secret level, whose original game started off as a Mario 3 PC port.

Doomguy is playable in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3.
A Call of Duty soldier is playable in Tony Hawk's Underground 2.
Then:

Predator is a playable character in Call of Duty: Ghosts.
Predator is a playable character in Mortal Kombat X.
Spawn is a playable character in Mortal Kombat 11.
Spawn is a playable character in Soul Calibur II.
Link is a playable character in Soul Calibur II.
Link is playable in Mario Kart 8.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I feel thanks to Smash and liberal crossovers, every single semi famous Japanese series is in the Mario extended universe. Hell, even a lot of western games.

I don't know much about Forza but I feel that would be a gateway between lots of western franchises and Mario due to having the Regalia (FFXV).

Forza has the Halo stuff in Horizon 4. The Arbiter was in Killer Instinct, along with Rash from Battletoads. Battletoads crosses over with Shovel Knight, who is in Smash Bros.

Can't think of the best Doom connection off the top of my head, but there is one.

Fortnite had Thanos who is in MvC.
PUBG had Resident Evil crossover, and RE characters are in MvC.
DOTA has Glados, who crosses over with Half-Life. Headcrab is in Super Meat Boy, along with Commander Video, who is in Smash Bros.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Dota stumps me but I'm sure there's a link. PUBG is already done on this thread. Fortnite had a huge marvel crossover --> Marvel vs Capcom -->Megaman --> Smash

As for Doom, Link is Doom guy. Done.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I can think of three Forza links off the top of my head:
1) The Regalia is in it, and Final Fantasy characters were in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix.
2) The Warthog is in it, and can be linked to Mario through either the method in the OP or the Halo and Mario skins in Minecraft
3) The Mercedes-GLA is in it, which is also in MK8 and Mario Maker for some reason

Doomguy is playable in the PC port of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which can be linked to Mario through Star Wars and SoulCalibur.

(Y'all sleeping on how good Tony Hawk is for this, honestly)

DOTA has a Half-Life announcer pack, which is connected to Mario through the FFXV PC pre-order bonus.

Fortnite has Thanos, who's connected through MvC.

PUBG had an RE2 crossover event, also connected through MvC.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
The quicker Glados link would be the Poker Night games which has Heavy from TF2 who links to Sonic and thus Smash

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Persona Q2 has Joker interacting with characters from Persona 3 and 4, which appear in Blazblue X Tag Battle, along with characters from Blazblue, Arcana Heart, Under Night in-birth and RWBY.

Marth is a playable character in Dragalia Lost, where characters like Albert and Lily from Granblue Fantasy also appear, wich links the mario universe to Granblue Fantasy and the various crossovers it has had, including Samurai Shodown, Code Geass, Idolmaster, Love Live, Sakura Card Captors, and a bunch more.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to OP is captain price, soap mctavish and his 'Murican soldiers & British muppets Special Forces

YMMV whether this counts as the same character, but the Zombies: Call of the Dead DLC for Blops features Danny Trejo, and he also appears as a fighter (named Trejo) in Def Jam: Fight For New York. There's an avenue that's probably worth exploring!

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get from Madden to Mario by way of Bo Jackson -> Tecmo Bowl -> Mighty Bomb Jack but I've run dry...

And as for Dynasty Warriors:

Madden has Warren Moon and John Elway, who were secret characters in NBA Jam, along with Raiden, Reptile and Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat. Kratos was in Mortal Kombat and PS All Stars, along with Raiden from Metal Gear (yes, I'm using both Raidens). Snake from Metal Gear is in Smash.

qhokbi770nfuiizg7gth.jpg

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Smash Bros. alone does a lot of the work here.
I'm curious how you get the Mario <--> Ryu connection without Smash Bros

Best I can come up with is Mario to Sonic via the Olympics games, Sonic to Akira Yuki via SSASR, then Akira to Ryu via PXZ, though I'm sure there's something I overlooked

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Best I can come up with is Mario to Sonic via the Olympics games, Sonic to Akira Yuki via SSASR, then Akira to Ryu via PXZ, though I'm sure there's something I overlooked
Ryu appears in MvC alongside Mega Man, Mega Man appears in Mario Kart 8 as an amiibo costume (and Captain N if you wanna go that road)

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How about a nintendo series not in smash, like StarTropics or Tinstar?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

Technically, both Cloud and Ryu appear in Puzzle & Dragons, which in turn leads to Mario with Cloud in Smash bros....but that's ignoring that Ryu is there with Cloud as well. Cloud is FF though, and Mario and FF crossed over in Mario Hoops 3 on 3. Similarly there's Granblue Fantasy, which has its Dragalia Lost connection, but also just plain has Joker (P5) in it, but again that's sort of cheating because he directly crosses into Mario via Smash as well. Before all of that, I'd have said though Link in SCII links up to Mitsurugi, who is in NxC with Ryu, though that's sort of like the PxZ connection.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

What about Monster Hunter? Ryu is in MH and so is Link.