• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
The Mario Multiverse is enormous. It composes of Mario's universe, but it also includes all the parallel universes that are linked through cameos, mash-ups and cross overs

For example:

Zelda is part of the Mario multiverse

Link appears in an inn in Super Mario RPG.

The Legend of Zelda universe therefore exists within the Mario multiverse.

Sonic is part of the Mario multiverse

Sonic and his acquaintances appear in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.

The Sonic universe therefore exists within the Mario multiverse.

Half-Life is part of the Mario multiverse

Gordon Freeman exists in the same universe as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS appears in Lego Dimensions, alongside Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic and his acquaintances appear in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.

The universe of Half-Life therefore exists within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Lego and Sonic gaming universes.

Halo is part of the Mario multiverse

Master Chief comes from the same universe as SPARTAN-458.

SPARTAN-458 appeared in Dead or Alive 4, linking their universes.

Samus and Ridley appeared in Dead or Alive Dimensions, connecting the Dead or Alive universe to the Metroid universe.

Samus appears in an inn in Super Mario RPG.

Therefore Master Chief and the Halo universe all exist within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Dead or Alive and Metroid gaming universes.

The Witcher is part of the Mario multiverse

Geralt appears in Soul Calibur VI, linking The Witcher universe to that of Soul Calibur.

Link appears in Soul Calibur II, thereby connecting the Zelda Universe to the Soul Calibur universe.

Link appears in an inn in Super Mario RPG.

Therefore Geralt exists within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Soul Calibur and Zelda gaming universes.

Legacy of Kain is part of the Mario multiverse

Kain is a playable character in Lara Croft's Poker Party, linking the Legacy of Kain universe to Tomb Raider.

Lara Croft is a playable character in FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS, linking the Tomb Raider universe to the FF:BE universe.

Cloud appears as a summon in FF:BE, linking the FF:BE universe to Final Fantasy VII.

Cloud is a fighter in Super Smash Bros for Wii U, linking the universe of Final Fantasy VII to Smash Bros.

Mario appears as a combatant in Smash Bros. Therefore the Legacy of Kain exists within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Tomb Raider, FF:BE, Final Fantasy VII and Smash Bros. gaming universes.

I hope these examples illustrate the idea that almost all high-profile gaming franchises, through crossovers, cameos and mash-ups, have all become part of the Mario multiverse.

My question is: What is the highest profile gaming franchise and/or character, that definitely isn't in the Mario multiverse?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
6db.jpg

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Or maybe Mario is part of the Final Fantasy universe and all of those are part of the Final Fantasy universe via their Mario connections.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
smash bros would disagree according to OP's logic. Also pokemon appeared in Mario Maker as amiibo costumes

But Smash Bros isn't on the same universe as Mario Bros. is. Smash Bros is its own thing.

And a costume says nothing if there's not a real character on any of the actual games.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshimitsu from Soul Calibur to Tekken. Tekken 7 contains characters from Capcom, SNK and Walking Dead. So they are all a part of the Mario Universe.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah unless there was a Nintendo cameo in Chinatown Wars I think the answer is GTA.

Oct 26, 2017
This is fucking hilarious and I love it.

So this means Disney should be part of the Mario multiverse as well because:

- Ryu and Ken appear in both Wreck-it-Ralph films.
- Both are fighters in Smash Ultimate.
- Basically everything Disney is in RBtI, specifically the princesses, Marvel, Pixar, Muppets, etc.

And of course Lego Dimensions has god knows how many movie and TV franchises in them, like the Simpsons, I think Ghostbusters, Scooby-Doo, etc.

Let's see how deep we can go!

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there are rules:

(1) Must be a game. Links cannot be made by movies, TV shows or other medium.
(2) The links between universes can't just be a hat that might look like character from a certain angle.

I'm really struggling to solve Aaronrules380 brilliant GTA suggestion. A cursory glance through the net doesn't suggest even the slightest cameos or crossovers even in the least famous games, such as GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars. Anyone more familiar with the franchise able to help?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
It can't be Final Fantasy because there is a grave for Erdrick/Loto from the Dragon Quest World. Dragon Quest and Mario exist in the same universe due to Fortune Street on the Wii.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, there are rules:

(2) The links between universes can't just be a hat that might look like character from a certain angle.

I'm really struggling to solve Aaronrules380 brilliant GTA suggestion. A cursory glance through the net doesn't suggest even the slightest cameos or crossovers even in the least famous games, such as GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars. Anyone more familiar with the franchise able to help?

What about Kingdom Hearts? Cloud has been in numerous entries, and thus DISNEY...

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there are rules:

I only know this from GTA V and its really subtle.
Mario-and-Luigi-Mushrooms-2-Franklins-Aunts-Location-GTA-V-Easter-Eggs-350x300.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

- Basically everything Disney is in RBtI, specifically the princesses, Marvel, Pixar, Muppets, etc.

And of course Lego Dimensions has god knows how many movie and TV franchises in them, like the Simpsons, I think Ghostbusters, Scooby-Doo, etc.

I mean even with the rules that links have to be made by games, Marvel vs Capcom makes the link to marvel and the rest of disney through Ryu who is in smash. Megaman too for that matter

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018

Bowser's also in Wreck it Ralph, so you can remove a couple degrees of separation there.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They advertise Zombix from Dead Rising on the radio in GTAV

Frank West was in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom along side Ryu and Ken

Ryu and Ken are in Smash Ultimate
are we sure it's the same thing? can't even find anything about zombix on the dead rising wiki, and my google search turned up a mobile game so it could be coincidental

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They advertise Zombix from Dead Rising on the radio in GTAV, implying Dead Rising takes place in a post-zombie apocalypse GTA universe.

Frank West was in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom along side Ryu and Ken

Ryu and Ken are in Smash Ultimate
I THINK YOU'VE DONE IT!

EDIT - nevermind, Zombix (GTA) =/= Zombrex (Dead Rising). Good try though.

Aaronrules380 is still winning the thread.

It's two different drugs. Zombrex is the drug in Dead Rising and it's a zombie antidote of sorts. Zombix is the antidepressant from GTA. I think it's a coincidence more than anything else.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Do locations count? GTA:London and Luigi visits London in Mario is Missing. Pretty sure they both have and/or reference Big Ben.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the radio stations would have to be the key to linking GTA to pretty much anything else. but I'm not sure if music appearing in two different games should count.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Solid snake is in smash, and raiden was in PlayStation all stars. PlayStation canon in the Mario universe.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Is there any particular reason we're calling this the Mario Multiverse? Really, it can be named after any franchise that's part of this network.

One logical naming scheme would be to name it after the oldest gaming franchise represented. I hereby dub thee the Game & Watch Multiverse.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Call of Duty, Minecraft, Assassins Creed
Minecraft has an official Super Mario level pack, so that probably counts.

Assassin's Creed has had crossovers with Final Fantasy which is already established as SMCU (Super Mario Connected Universe). If not that, I'm sure there's connections between Assassin's Creed and Rayman -> Rabbids -> Mario. Rabbids also connects the TMNT via that Turtles Smash Bros game on Wii.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's Not the Marioverse, it's the street fighter verse, Ryu can link more things (including NINTENDO and the so called mario verse) than any videogame character in the history of video games.

Ryu has fought SNK, ergo, the KOF and SNK multiverse is linked.
Ryu has fought Marvel, therefore he links marvel and everything Marvel has crossed over with.
Ryu has fought the cast of family guy and american dad.
Ryu was in both Tatsunoko vs capcom and Project X Zone, therefore he links absolutely every single anime series featured in every Super Robot Wars game ever, this includes stuff that aren't even mecha anime like idol M@ster, Miku, Godzilla and Little Witch academia as well as anything those series have crosed over with (like the Trigger multiverse)
Ryu was part of the Sonic and Megaman crossover, therefore he link a ton of sega properties.
Ryu has crossed over with the power rangers, and by extention anything the PR have crossed over with (including DC and the Ninja Turtles)
Guile was part of the Harvey Birdman game, ergo, Ryu links the entire Hanna Barbera multiverse.
Ryu fought the Tekken characters, so that makes him link the Tekken and Soul Calibur universe
Ryu is in smash bros.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it a flawed premise to decide that every instance of every character is the same and thus exists within the same multiverse. Also not sure why it's Mario's.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Iggy Pop played himself in GTA IV -> Iggy Pop is in LEGO Rock Band -> Sonic is in LEGO Dimensions -> Sonic and Mario at the Olympics.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's Not the Marioverse, it's the street fighter verse, Ryu can link more things (including NINTENDO and the so called mario verse) than any videogame character in the history of video games.
It's this. Ryu has long been established is the character that links everyone. I dunno where Mario came from all of a sudden.

There are charts and everything about this out there.