• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Johnny Gat from Saints Rows is in Dive Kick
Kick from Dive Kick is in Indie Pogo
Shovel Knight is in indie pogo
Shovel Knight is in Smash bros
Ryu is in smash bros.

FIFA Games have the FIFA license given them access to real life players in the games
Football Manager has the license to several real life football clubs and access to those players
Some of those real life players appear in both games officially
Football Manager was a character in Sonic And All Stars Transformed to rep the FM franchise
Sonic is in Smash bros.
Ryu is in Smash bros.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The original Sims had an easter egg of Will Wright.
Will Wright was a Boss in The simpsons game (PS3/360 era).
The simpsons have crossed over with Family Guy.
Ryu fought the cast of family guy and american dad.
Ryu is in Smash Bros.

Will Write was also a character in Link's Awakening if I'm not mistaken, clearly based on Will Wright.

Also isn't there a Sim City Assist Trophy in Smash?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not Mario multiverse, it's Donkey Kong Extended Universe.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space? It would be funny to see Mario on the Ishimura, trying to find the princess only to find out....

Oct 25, 2017
The original Sims had an easter egg of Will Wright.
Will Wright was a Boss in The simpsons game (PS3/360 era).
The simpsons have crossed over with Family Guy.
Ryu fought the cast of family guy and american dad.
Ryu is in Smash Bros.

Nice job! I thought I had a winner.

BTW, that Simpsons game was criminally underrated.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
This is fucking hilarious and I love it.

So this means Disney should be part of the Mario multiverse as well because:

- Ryu and Ken appear in both Wreck-it-Ralph films.
- Both are fighters in Smash Ultimate.
- Basically everything Disney is in RBtI, specifically the princesses, Marvel, Pixar, Muppets, etc.

And of course Lego Dimensions has god knows how many movie and TV franchises in them, like the Simpsons, I think Ghostbusters, Scooby-Doo, etc.

Let's see how deep we can go!
Bowser is in wreck it ralph, you didn't even need to go that far

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's Not the Marioverse, it's the street fighter verse, Ryu can link more things (including NINTENDO and the so called mario verse) than any videogame character in the history of video games.

Ryu has fought SNK, ergo, the KOF and SNK multiverse is linked.
Ryu has fought Marvel, therefore he links marvel and everything Marvel has crossed over with.
Ryu has fought the cast of family guy and american dad.
Ryu was in both Tatsunoko vs capcom and Project X Zone, therefore he links absolutely every single anime series featured in every Super Robot Wars game ever, this includes stuff that aren't even mecha anime like idol M@ster, Miku, Godzilla and Little Witch academia as well as anything those series have crosed over with (like the Trigger multiverse)
Ryu was part of the Sonic and Megaman crossover, therefore he link a ton of sega properties.
Ryu has crossed over with the power rangers, and by extention anything the PR have crossed over with (including DC and the Ninja Turtles)
Guile was part of the Harvey Birdman game, ergo, Ryu links the entire Hanna Barbera multiverse.
Ryu fought the Tekken characters, so that makes him link the Tekken and Soul Calibur universe
Ryu is in smash bros.

Oh my god, Project X Zone is an almost crazier connector than Smash Bros.

It's also easy to connect some games using Fighters Megamix since Sonic Fighters appear in that. Also includes the Daytona car as well as the AM2 palm tree, which I think should immediately qualify all AM2 games.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
How deep can you go until you can connect Mario and GTA?

Officer Frank Tenpenny in GTA San Andreas is played by Samuel L Jackson
Samuel L Jackson plays Nick Fury in Iron Man 2: The Game
Iron Man is in Marvel vs Capcom 3, which pits Iron Man and other Marvel heroes against Capcom characters, including Ryu and Ken
Ryu and Ken are in Super Smash Bros.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Officer Frank Tenpenny in GTA San Andreas is played by Samuel L Jackson
Samuel L Jackson plays Nick Fury in Iron Man 2: The Game
Iron Man is in Marvel vs Capcom 3, which pits Iron Man and other Marvel heroes against Capcom characters, including Ryu and Ken
Ryu and Ken are in Super Smash Bros.

Is it acceptable to use an out-of-universe example like the voice actor?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Call of Duty has some kinda link but can't think of any off the top of my head

Call of Duty Zombies had Sarah Michelle Gellar as a playable character
Sarah Michelle Gellar was in the Scooby doo live action film
Matthew Lillard played Shaggy in the Scooby doo live action film
In Looney Tunes Back in Action, Scooby Doo and Shaggy (the original, cartoon ones) are seen scolding Matthew Lillard for his poor performance
Scooby Doo and Shaggy were defended in court by Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
Guile was part of the Harvey Birdman video game
Ryu has fought Guile
Ryu is in Smash Bros.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I may have found the evidence for linking GTA.

"Jack Marston's book, Red Dead, can be found in Franklin's home, and in the home of the GTA Online protagonist."

So, Red Dead is a part of the GTAverse.

"Okay, so, there's a side quest in Red Dead Redemption 2 called 'The Noblest of Men, and a Woman'. In it, you're tasked with tracking down a number of old gunslingers, and later in the game, the quest comes to an end when all of them have been found. You end up duelling one of the quest's main characters, and when you win, you get his revolver.

This revolver has 'Canis Canem Edit' engraved on both sides of the barrel, and the writing is clearly visible in the gun's compendium entry."

A direct connection to Bully.
And, in that:

"Ray Hughes can be heard saying "They say that kids imitate characters from video games, but I have yet to become a mustached plumber"

BOOM!

Mario is canonically a videogame in the GTAverse.

Either by the Red Dead link or the fact that the Bully school shows up in a TV show in GTA 4.

Sources:

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Grand Theft Auto 2 has a cheat to turn pedestrians into Elvis. That's gotta count for something, right? Maybe?

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Need for Speed?
Madden NFL?
Bejeweled?
The Oregon Trail? (Which btw is almost as big of a franchise as Halo in terms of total copies sold, apparently.)

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Is it acceptable to use an out-of-universe example like the voice actor?

If that's the case, got another one for yall:

Short Version:
In GTA V there's a side mission where you're tasked on finding Bigfoot, upon completion you find out it's a dude in a suit
Bigfoot also makes an appearance in Assassin's Creed 3, similarly you find out it's a dude in a suit
You can get an Assassin's Creed costume in Rayman Legends
Rayman appears as a Spirit in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Alternate Version:
Bigfoot in GTA V
Bigfoot in AC3
Haytham, the antagonist of AC3, is shown as a child in AC4
You can get a costume from AC4 for Rayman Legends on the Wii U
Rayman appears in a spinoff game called Rayman Raving Rabbids
Rabbids have a crossover with Mario in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle for the Switch

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Both Madden and NFL Blitz used the NFL license, thus there was overlap of players in both games
Raiden from Mortal Kombat was in NFL Blitz
Raiden was a guest character in Injustice 2, The TMNT were also in Injustice 2
Both the justice league and the TMNT have crossed over with the Power Rangers
Ryu has crossed over with the Power Rangers
Ryu is in Smash Bros.

by the way, this Twitter account might be handy for people in this thread:

VGGuestCharacters (@GuestCharacters) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from VGGuestCharacters (@GuestCharacters). Archive of PLAYABLE guest characters in video games. 100% real guest characters that really happened, no mods. (Run by @DeDoubleYouEl). N/A

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I may have found the evidence for linking GTA.

"Jack Marston's book, Red Dead, can be found in Franklin's home, and in the home of the GTA Online protagonist."

So, Red Dead is a part of the GTAverse.

"Okay, so, there's a side quest in Red Dead Redemption 2 called 'The Noblest of Men, and a Woman'. In it, you're tasked with tracking down a number of old gunslingers, and later in the game, the quest comes to an end when all of them have been found. You end up duelling one of the quest's main characters, and when you win, you get his revolver.

This revolver has 'Canis Canem Edit' engraved on both sides of the barrel, and the writing is clearly visible in the gun's compendium entry."

A direct connection to Bully.
And, in that:

"Ray Hughes can be heard saying "They say that kids imitate characters from video games, but I have yet to become a mustached plumber"

BOOM!

Mario is canonically a videogame in the GTAverse.

Either by the Red Dead link or the fact that the Bully school shows up in a TV show in GTA 4.

Sources:

Do these situations count though, where the game canonically exists in universe, even if the character themself doesn't? Because then we could say Nathan Drake once played Crash Bandicoot, who was in Skylanders, which also once featured Donkey Kong, who is from Mario, even though there is no situation where Nathan Drake and the actual animate entity Crash Bandicoot could interact. Or I could say that Kiryu Kazuma can win a figure of AiAi from Super Monkey Ball in a UFO catcher, AiAi has been in Sega All Stars Racing, with Sonic, who has been in Mario and Sonic, and thus link in Yakuza on merit of being a world where all these Sega games exist, even if none of the characters do.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
6db.jpg
Yeah some of those are a few degrees wide lol

GTA.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
This is fucking hilarious and I love it.

So this means Disney should be part of the Mario multiverse as well because:

- Ryu and Ken appear in both Wreck-it-Ralph films.
- Both are fighters in Smash Ultimate.
- Basically everything Disney is in RBtI, specifically the princesses, Marvel, Pixar, Muppets, etc.

And of course Lego Dimensions has god knows how many movie and TV franchises in them, like the Simpsons, I think Ghostbusters, Scooby-Doo, etc.

Let's see how deep we can go!
Not to mention Cloud is in Smash and in Kingdom Hearts.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Do these situations count though, where the game canonically exists in universe, even if the character themself doesn't? Because then we could say Nathan Drake once played Crash Bandicoot, who was in Skylanders, which also once featured Donkey Kong, who is from Mario, even though there is no situation where Nathan Drake and the actual animate entity Crash Bandicoot could interact. Or I could say that Kiryu Kazuma can win a figure of AiAi from Super Monkey Ball in a UFO catcher, AiAi has been in Sega All Stars Racing, with Sonic, who has been in Mario and Sonic, and thus link in Yakuza on merit of being a world where all these Sega games exist, even if none of the characters do.

Personally in mine im avoiding this, that's why the key in my Call of duty links was that Matthew Lillard appeared as himself interacting with Scooby and Shaggy as actual entities within the movie "Looney Tunes Back in action".

What about Crash Bandicoot or Spyro?

Crash and Spyro are both in Skylanders
DK and Bowser are in skylanders as of "Super Charged"
DK and Bowser and in Smash Bros.
Ryu is in Smash Bros.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's Not the Marioverse, it's the street fighter verse, Ryu can link more things (including NINTENDO and the so called mario verse) than any videogame character in the history of video games.

Ryu has fought Marvel, therefore he links marvel and everything Marvel has crossed over with.
Ryu was in both Tatsunoko vs capcom and Project X Zone, therefore he links absolutely every single anime series featured in every Super Robot Wars game ever, this includes stuff that aren't even mecha anime like idol M@ster, Miku, Godzilla and Little Witch academia as well as anything those series have crosed over with (like the Trigger multiverse)
Ryu was part of the Sonic and Megaman crossover, therefore he link a ton of sega properties.
Ryu has crossed over with the power rangers, and by extention anything the PR have crossed over with (including DC and the Ninja Turtles)
Guile was part of the Harvey Birdman game, ergo, Ryu links the entire Hanna Barbera multiverse.
Ryu fought the Tekken characters, so that makes him link the Tekken and Soul Calibur universe
Ryu is in smash bros.
Smash is a Mario property, and Ryu gets access to 70% of the game universes via Smash.

Mario verse is the dominant universe in the relationship, while Ryu himself is the character with the most direct links due to appearing in many fighting crossovers.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Smash is a Mario property, and Ryu gets access to 70% of the game universes via Smash.

Mario verse is the dominant universe in the relationship, while Ryu himself is the character with the most direct links due to appearing in many fighting crossovers.

Ryu gets access to more franchise, even beyond videogames, by having appeared in Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Project X Zone than smash. The fact that Ryu is linked to the Super Robot Wars series via those games means he has ridiculously long list of anime franchises linked to him.

And then there is the fact that Ryu has linked Marvel and everything Marvel has crossed over with.

Ryu is a bigger central nexus than mario.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Considering Tycho from Penny Arcade appears in Poker Night at the Inventory, can characters that appeared in Penny Arcade the comic be factored in on this? Because that opens up a whoooole lot of possibilities.

I know fan fiction is not allowed obviously, but what about this situation?

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
This is like the fucking 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. You can't do this shit

But it's Goo Goo Soundy

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Ryu is in smash bros.
Came up to write something like that. Great post.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if this works with characters that aren't video game characters, or do you have to do some creative thinking? Example:

Dagwood has appeared in Garfield comics before
Garfield has crossed over with the TMNT in a guest tribute strip
Both the justice league and the TMNT have crossed over with the Power Rangers
Ryu has crossed over with the Power Rangers
Ryu is in Smash Bros.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch? World of Warcraft? Dead Space?

I know Dead Space is connected for sure. Issac Clark was in Playstation All Stars, which has Raiden, who links to Snake who links to Mario. Also Kratos who links to Shovel Knight who links to Mario. Also Heihachi who links to Ryu who links to Mario.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
I came in thinking 'Doom,' but then I remembered Doomguy as an unlockable chracter in 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3' (the PC port anyways.) Which then links him to the Marvel characters that can be unlocked, which then links him to Ryu, and then to Smash.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, but I'd think the answer would be some larger western series, since those tend to cross over less. Can't really think of any thing with GTA. Japanese games tend to have lots of links due to mobile games. Capcom in particular loves throwing Ryu around

I imagine Call of Duty has some kinda link but can't think of any off the top of my head

Call of Duty Ghosts had Predator DLC. Predator was in Mortal Kombat X. Kratos was in Mortal Kombat 9. Kratos links to Shovel Knight who links to Mario in Smash Bros. That or you could say Spawn is in MK11 who links to Soul Calibur which then links to Link who in turns links to Mario.....Or you could say that the MK characters link to DC characters due to Injustice or MK vs. DC, and Batman and Superman are in Puzzle & Dragons which have Ryu and Cloud which then links back to Smash again.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
LEGO does't count because it's a distinct universe with unique incarnations of those characters. Likewise, Smash Bros is out because those are toys/figurines brought to life, not the actual characters.

I know you refer to a multiverse, but nothing whatsoever establishes a link between those distinct universes that happen to contain different representations of those characters. Without that you could just say "fuck it, Monopoly counts" and probably find your way to literally everything.

Granted, I'd wager most, of not all of the Smash and LEGO characters can be linked through more interesting routes, so it would be fun to see those. For example, Link connects to Soul Calibur which connects to you to all those guests and nets you a Street Fighter link.

Edit: (In further "no fun allowed" news, I'd also technically argue against Halo/DOA as it's canonical that the Spartan Nicole is from an alternate, unconnected universe. However, there's an extended workaround - the Hayabusa armor is implied to be based on Ryu's, and thus you can route through Ninja Gaiden.)

Last edited:

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017

Well for Nathan Drake, we can just do his appearance in PlayStation All Stars. Which links him to Raiden. Who links to Snake.