• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there are rules:

(1) Must be a game. Links cannot be made by movies, TV shows or other medium.
(2) The links between universes can't just be a hat that might look like character from a certain angle.

I'm really struggling to solve Aaronrules380 brilliant GTA suggestion. A cursory glance through the net doesn't suggest even the slightest cameos or crossovers even in the least famous games, such as GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars. Anyone more familiar with the franchise able to help?
Masterchief is in GTA V, or at least a guy in a costume that's supposed to represent masterchief. Does that count?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Real people appear as characters in GTA. I'm sure they would be the key to link GTA to Mario, but I have to go to work, so I can't look it up now: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Real_People_in_GTA

Maybe, but that seems to mostly be music artists and comedians. Mario links up to people in the sports industry from what I know off the top of my head. I think he has links to basketball directly, and indirectly boxing, tennis, and NASCAR (Sega All Stars Racing Transformed will never not have a weird roster)

Streets of Rage

Alt account
Banned
Jun 26, 2019
In GTA San Andreas there is a clear reference to Gordon Freeman, so GTA and Half-Life universes are clearly connected:

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
There is even a faster link to the Mario multiverse with Assassin's Creed. In AC2 your unkle (?) greets you with a "It's a me, Mario!" Which is obviously a SM refference.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I came in here thinking "oh this is easy", then I see all those examples in the OP... Damn.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
The Japanese tokusatsu shows Kamen Rider and Ultraman are both part of the Mario Multiverse.

Connection goes as follows:
Mario is in Smash Bros.
Lucina is in both Smash Bros and Project x Zone 2.
Project x Zone is canonically part of the Super Robot Wars multiverse.
The character Fighter Roar appears in the SRW series.
Fighter Roar teamed up with various Ultramen and Kamen riders in the Great Battle games on the SNES.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Real people appear as characters in GTA. I'm sure they would be the key to link GTA to Mario, but I have to go to work, so I can't look it up now: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Real_People_in_GTA
Bas Rutten appeared in GTA and UFC 2, UFC 2 has CM Punk who fought John Cena in one WWE game at some point, John Cena is in WWE 2k16 which has the Terminator from Terminator 2, Terminator is in the Gears 5, Gears also has General RAAM who was in Killer Instinct which also had the Arbiter from Halo, the Halo connection is in OP

Last edited:

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The Master Sword can be unlocked in Skyrim via amibo, so the entire Elder Scrolls series is only two degrees of seperation from Mario. Elder Scrolls then connects to Doom.

Mario content packs are available in Minecraft. As are a bunch of other franchises, such as Halo.

If mobile game collaborations count, then you go Mario to Puzzles & Dragons to DC Comics. From there, the entire universe opens up.

From the afformentioned Project X Zone, you can then go to Super Robot Wars, then to Another Century's Episode: R, which has a Nineball Seraph cameo. That connects the Armored Core franchise. From there, Mario has direct access to Dark Souls and Bloodbourne via the recurring Moonlight Sword.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5a7.jpg

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i get not knowing her weight and all but she's standing right on the court with shaq i mean you can kinda infer??

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
GTA has Iggy Pop playing himself as a radio DJ.

He also appears in Lego Rock Band.

There are minor characters (generic Lego people) that carry over across many Lego games, and you've got Yoda/Darth Vader that cross over with Soul Calibur, which also crosses over with Link/Zelda.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Snoop Dogg is in because of his cameo in Tekken Tag 2, which also brings in the Def Jam games, and True Crime.

What's the Resident Evil Connection? Probably just something with Ryu and MVC i'm guessing?
Resident Evil also had a left 4 dead crossover.

L4D is the same universe as Half Life. There was a headcrab in Super Meat Boy, along with Commander Video, who appears in Smash Brothers.

Also someone said Minecraft, but Steve is in Super Meat Boy too.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Snoop Dogg is in because of his cameo in Tekken Tag 2, which also brings in the Def Jam games, and True Crime.

Resident Evil also had a left 4 dead crossover.

L4D is the same universe as Half Life. There was a headcrab in Super Meat Boy, along with Commander Video, who appears in Smash Brothers.

Also someone said Minecraft, but Steve is in Super Meat Boy too.

I like that

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Minecraft has an official Super Mario level pack, so that probably counts.

Assassin's Creed has had crossovers with Final Fantasy which is already established as SMCU (Super Mario Connected Universe). If not that, I'm sure there's connections between Assassin's Creed and Rayman -> Rabbids -> Mario. Rabbids also connects the TMNT via that Turtles Smash Bros game on Wii.
There's an AC costume in Legends.

That said, you could cut the middle man and point out the "It's a-me, Mario" joke in II.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
For Assassin's Creed, Ezio was in Soul Calibur.

Academy of Champions: Soccer also contains most Ubisoft characters.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Dark Souls. I defy someone to convincingly link that.
There's Dark Souls bonfires in the Eichenwalde Overwatch map.
Tracer from Overwatch is part of Heroes of the Storm.
Heroes of the Storm has Diablo.
Ganondorf is in Diablo 3.
Ganondorf brings us to Smash.
Smash brings us to Mario.

Alternately, Outcast Odyssey has Dark Souls characters.
PacMan is also in Outcast Odyssey.
PacMan is in Smash.
Smash to Mario.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019

PacMan is in Smash.
Smash to Mario.

Dang. I thought I had it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
St. Elsewhere.

Actually, you can probably tie that to Mario somehow, can't you?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grand Theft Auto seems like the most obvious choice. It's a massive series, but never has guest characters and never loans its characters out to be guests.

Or a popular game that doesn't actually have characters -- The Sims, Madden, Civilization, Total War, etc.

A more interesting questions might be "What Nintendo games are not a part of the Mario multiverse?"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Grand Theft Auto seems like the most obvious choice. It's a massive series, but never has guest characters and never loans its characters out to be guests.

Or a popular game that doesn't actually have characters -- The Sims, Madden, Civilization, Total War, etc.

A more interesting questions might be "What Nintendo games are not a part of the Mario multiverse?"

GTA does have guest characters (as I mentioned, Iggy Pop).

The Sims is in the same universe as Sim City, which has had Bowser in it.

Leonardo da Vinci is in Civilisation and Assassin's Creed.

Julius Caesar is in Rome: Total War and Assassin's Creed.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
GTA does have guest characters (as I mentioned, Iggy Pop).

The Sims is in the same universe as Sim City, which has had Bowser in it.

Leonardo da Vinci is in Civilisation and Assassin's Creed.

Julius Caesar is in Rome: Total War and Assassin's Creed.
Da Vinci and Caesar are both in the Mario edutainment games too, like Mario's Time Machine and Mario is Missing. Those games connect to Uncharted too, through Francis Drake.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
GTA has Iggy Pop playing himself as a radio DJ.

He also appears in Lego Rock Band.

There are minor characters (generic Lego people) that carry over across many Lego games, and you've got Yoda/Darth Vader that cross over with Soul Calibur, which also crosses over with Link/Zelda.

Nice one!
I have a similar alternative take but it's a bit shaky, thought it was a useful angle though maybe someone can think of something better.

- Statue of Liberty and Golden Gate bridge both appear in GTA series (Liberty City and San andreas, under different names)
- Statue of Liberty and Golden Gate bridge also appear in LEGO City Undercover
- Mario staples such as warp pipe and super star can be found in LEGO City Undercover for WiiU

Trouble with GTA is all their references tend to kinda be bootleg/parody versions.

PacMan is in Smash.
Smash to Mario.

Damn dogg, see aren't you glad I made you play a bunch of HotS. :D

May 10, 2019
Bass Ruttan is in GTA IV
Bass Ruttan is in King of Colosseum II with Yoshihiro Takayama
Yoshihiro Takayama is in Giant Gram 2000 with Jeffry from Virtua Fighter
Jeffry is in Fighters Megamix along with Sonic
Sonic is in Super Smash Bros

You can also go right through Virtua Fighter via the Akira assist trophy.

Also the Virtua Fighter->Smash path works for anybody in the Yakuza series since 5 due to the arcade games.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The thread title should be changed to:
Every high profile gaming franchise is within the massive Mario Multiverse,.... and I can prove it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ryu makes the most sense for something like this, due to how many things he's crossed over with.

I'll throw a vote in for Dizzy though.

(deep breath)

This is more than a little tenuous, but...

The fourth level of Crystal Kingdom Dizzy contains a thinly-veiled parody of Richard O'Brien's role as the Mazemaster in The Crystal Maze.
The 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie contains a thinly-veiled parody of Richard O'Brien's role as the Mazemaster in The Crystal Maze.
The 2005 sequel (Wrath of the Dragon God) - is set in the same universe.
Wrath of the Dragon God mentions both Juiblex in the narrative, and Yeenoghu appears on the map in the intro. Both of these are demon lords from the broader D&D universe.
Both of these also appear in NetHack
Death appears in NetHack
Death appears in Castlevania - and, for that matter, the Castlevania stage in Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario appears in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Yeah, there are rules:

(1) Must be a game. Links cannot be made by movies, TV shows or other medium.

Buggrit. Although I will contest that the universe is still defined by the game, the movie just happens to be another work in that universe!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
(deep breath)

This is more than a little tenuous, but...

The fourth level of Crystal Kingdom Dizzy contains a thinly-veiled parody of Richard O'Brien's role as the Mazemaster in The Crystal Maze.
The 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie contains a thinly-veiled parody of Richard O'Brien's role as the Mazemaster in The Crystal Maze.
The 2005 sequel (Wrath of the Dragon God) - is set in the same universe.
Wrath of the Dragon God mentions both Juiblex in the narrative, and Yeenoghu appears on the map in the intro. Both of these are demon lords from the broader D&D universe.
Both of these also appear in NetHack
Death appears in NetHack
Death appears in Castlevania - and, for that matter, the Castlevania stage in Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario appears in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Buggrit. Although I will contest that the universe is still defined by the game, the movie just happens to be another work in that universe!

tenor.gif

Dizzy for Smash confirmed?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Dizzy was in Pete Sampras Tennis.

sikx0x7.jpg

Pete Sampras also appears in Smash Court Tennis. As does Heihachi from Tekken.