• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really struggling to solve Aaronrules380 brilliant GTA suggestion. A cursory glance through the net doesn't suggest even the slightest cameos or crossovers even in the least famous games, such as GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars. Anyone more familiar with the franchise able to help?

Is there an argument of driving a cameo through the *music*? Surely we can imply that if a music track appears in both a GTA title and another game, it must follow that those games both exist in the same universe.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where are our crazy size changing mushrooms, flowers that let us shoot fireballs, tails that let us fly, and stars that make us murder and destroy everything in our path for a limited time?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Are the ASW fighters connected to Ryu or Mario already?

Yeah. Quickest link would be mobile games, as I know there's one out there that has both SF and Guilty Gear & Blazblue. There's also BB Cross Tag Battle with Persona characters which link to Joker in Smash.

Beyond that, there's Noel & Dizzy in a PSP Queens Gate game that had Ivy Valentine and Mai Shiranui in it too.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Yeah. Quickest link would be mobile games, as I know there's one out there that has both SF and Guilty Gear & Blazblue. There's also BB Cross Tag Battle with Persona characters which link to Joker in Smash.

Beyond that, there's Noel & Dizzy in a PSP Queens Gate game that had Ivy Valentine and Mai Shiranui in it too.

Oh, nice! So we can use Ryu's link to GG/BB as a link to Girl's Frontline, which then links to Va-11 Hall-A, which was the thing I was after.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm nominating XCOM and Hitman. Also, if reference to games as games don't count, then Life is Strange as well, though that's a smaller franchise. I also want to see what comes up for Deus Ex.
Everyone who ever lived in the real universe on planet earth is in the Mario universe.
To be fair, I'm not certain that I exist in the same universe as Shaquille O'Neal as I've never seen him in person. I've always suspected as much.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Transformers is part of the Mario Multiverse.

Optimus Prime was in DreamMix TV with Snake who is in Smash Bros with Mario.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Doom.
I own hundreds of games that has appeared on my computer at the same time as Doom.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I was gonna say GoldenEye 007 but the other Bond games may have refs that fuck this up.

Snake Rattle And Roll
220px-Snake_Rattle_n_Roll_gamebox.jpg

Rare game of the 80's/90's

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
OP established the rules that the connections have to come via a game. Why are people still posting about movies/TV show/comics crossovers?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Breakout is a single player sequel to Pong, surely there must be some Breakout game where a space invader or something moves across the screen that you can target...
I feel like you could make the connection between Breakout and Alleyway which has Mario in the paddle...

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Could be argued to be in the same universe as other Valve games, but that's tenuous so:

The Heavy is in Poker Night at the Inventory, and Glados is in Poker Night at the Inventory 2.

Portal and Half-Life are definitely in the same universe, so then it's the headcrab in Super Meat Boy, along with Commander Video, who is in Smash Bros.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
?
PSABR was on PS3/Vita. Knack wasn't in that.

I would kill for a sequel though, then there would be a lot more connections.
Crap, it's all the sequel talk online that induced me in error on this one.
He's not in that mobile game about Playstation all star as well.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Team Fortress is actually a pretty quick connection. In Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Heavy, Spy, and Pyro are all racers (in the same kart really) so they're right there with Sonic, who then ties to Mario with Smash or the Olympic games.
Ah yeah, that's more direct than what I said.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Yeah, there are rules:

(1) Must be a game. Links cannot be made by movies, TV shows or other medium.
(2) The links between universes can't just be a hat that might look like character from a certain angle.

I'm really struggling to solve Aaronrules380 brilliant GTA suggestion. A cursory glance through the net doesn't suggest even the slightest cameos or crossovers even in the least famous games, such as GTA Advance and Chinatown Wars. Anyone more familiar with the franchise able to help?

1. Michael Jackson exists in GTA: Vice City. Tommy can listen to Michael Jackson while driving.

2. Michael Jackson is a playable character in Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 alongside Bill Clinton.

3. Bill Clinton is playable in NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, alongside Sub-Zero.

4. Sub-Zero is playable in Mortal Kombat 11, alongside Spawn.

5. Spawn is a playable character in Soul Calibur II. Link is also a playable character in Soul Calibur II.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
1. Michael Jackson exists in GTA III. Claude can listen to Michael Jackson while driving.

2. Michael Jackson is a playable character in Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 alongside Bill Clinton.

3. Bill Clinton is playable in NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, alongside Sub-Zero.

4. Sub-Zero is playable in Mortal Kombat 11, alongside Spawn.

5. Spawn is a playable character in Soul Calibur II. Link is also a playable character in Soul Calibur II.
Slightly more direct would be Michael Jackson in Space Channel 5, then Ulala in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, and Sonic in Smash.

May 10, 2019
Once you throw in smash, you get all the stickers /emblems and that rules out probably 90% of Nintendo games...

So I'm gonna go Knack baby, or go further back to streets of rage

Knack has another non-connection. It's suggested that it's in the Ape Escape universe at a couple of points (via the same robot nets being in both games), then Piposaru has a lot of connections (Hot Shots Golf/Playstation All-Stars/other games). But it doesn't fit the actual character connection guideline so until that happens...

The answer is Knack.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It can't be Final Fantasy because there is a grave for Erdrick/Loto from the Dragon Quest World. Dragon Quest and Mario exist in the same universe due to Fortune Street on the Wii.
There have also been Final
(deep breath)

This is more than a little tenuous, but...

The fourth level of Crystal Kingdom Dizzy contains a thinly-veiled parody of Richard O'Brien's role as the Mazemaster in The Crystal Maze.
The 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie contains a thinly-veiled parody of Richard O'Brien's role as the Mazemaster in The Crystal Maze.
The 2005 sequel (Wrath of the Dragon God) - is set in the same universe.
Wrath of the Dragon God mentions both Juiblex in the narrative, and Yeenoghu appears on the map in the intro. Both of these are demon lords from the broader D&D universe.
Both of these also appear in NetHack
Death appears in NetHack
Death appears in Castlevania - and, for that matter, the Castlevania stage in Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario appears in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Buggrit. Although I will contest that the universe is still defined by the game, the movie just happens to be another work in that universe!
Dizzy and NetHack being part of this chain is too good. Excellent work.