• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Knack has another non-connection. It's suggested that it's in the Ape Escape universe at a couple of points (via the same robot nets being in both games), then Piposaru has a lot of connections (Hot Shots Golf/Playstation All-Stars/other games). But it doesn't fit the actual character connection guideline so until that happens...

The answer is Knack.
Thread title specified highest profile, and Knack is absolutely not high profile anything except maybe getting dumped on ):

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
6db.jpg
I LOLed like an idiot.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
What about the Tom Clancy games? I can't think of any links to Mario. Same with Fallout & The Elder Scrolls.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
With Spawn appearing in Mortal Kombat 11 and him being a guest in Soulcalibur 2, as Link, now Mario is linked to the MK universe, along with a bunch of horror films and the DC comics universe.

If Terminator is in MK11, Mario would be linked to Gears of War and whatever other games had Terminator stuff shown in this year's E3.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I was gonna say Warcraft, but
Warcraft characters in Heroes of the Storm
Diablo characters in Heroes of the Storm
Diablo Switch version with Zelda content
Zelda in Smash
Mario in Smash

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The Mercedes 300SL connects NFS to Mario Kart.
This got a smile out of me. Well done.

Knack has another non-connection. It's suggested that it's in the Ape Escape universe at a couple of points (via the same robot nets being in both games), then Piposaru has a lot of connections (Hot Shots Golf/Playstation All-Stars/other games). But it doesn't fit the actual character connection guideline so until that happens...

The answer is Knack.
Took some digging, but Infamous Second Son has this:
9CG3dMO.png

Going from Infamous to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale should bring us to Mario relatively quickly.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i realise than Kratos was connected to the mario universe too....

Kratos was in Shovel Knight -> Shovel Knight was in Smash

The answer to OP is captain price, soap mctavish and his 'Murican soldiers & British muppets Special Forces

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What about the Tom Clancy games? I can't think of any links to Mario. Same with Fallout & The Elder Scrolls.
Sam fisher is in Academy of Champions: Soccer, along with Rabbids, who were in Mario Vs Rabbids.

Elder Scrolls has one of the spheres from Portal in it, which is the same universe as Half Life. There's a headcrab in Super Meat Boy, as is commander video, who is in smash.

Can't remember the fallout connection just yet, but pretty sure there is one.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Sam fisher is in Academy of Champions: Soccer, along with Rabbids, who were in Mario Vs Rabbids.

Elder Scrolls has one of the spheres from Portal in it, which is the same universe as Half Life. There's a headcrab in Super Meat Boy, as is commander video, who is in smash.

Can't remember the fallout connection just yet, but pretty sure there is one.
Wow I actually had that game as a kid & somehow didn't know it had Sam Fisher.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this thread reminds me of the "Ryu factor" people used to bring up

uvgjg6r2vhzy.jpg

It's Not the Marioverse, it's the street fighter verse, Ryu can link more things (including NINTENDO and the so called mario verse) than any videogame character in the history of video games.

Ryu has fought SNK, ergo, the KOF and SNK multiverse is linked.
Ryu has fought Marvel, therefore he links marvel and everything Marvel has crossed over with.
Ryu has fought the cast of family guy and american dad.
Ryu was in both Tatsunoko vs capcom and Project X Zone, therefore he links absolutely every single anime series featured in every Super Robot Wars game ever, this includes stuff that aren't even mecha anime like idol M@ster, Miku, Godzilla and Little Witch academia as well as anything those series have crosed over with (like the Trigger multiverse)
Ryu was part of the Sonic and Megaman crossover, therefore he link a ton of sega properties.
Ryu has crossed over with the power rangers, and by extention anything the PR have crossed over with (including DC and the Ninja Turtles)
Guile was part of the Harvey Birdman game, ergo, Ryu links the entire Hanna Barbera multiverse.
Ryu fought the Tekken characters, so that makes him link the Tekken and Soul Calibur universe
Ryu is in smash bros.

Ryu tryna pick a fight with everyone.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The answer to OP is captain price, soap mctavish and his 'Murican soldiers & British muppets Special Forces
I don't know about that. Call of Duty features Richard Nixon in Black Ops. He's also a character in Nuclear War for the Amiga, which also features Mahatma Gandhi. Ghandi connects to Civilisation, and the Civ to Mario connection's already been pointed out earlier in the thread. I believe that it was something along the lines of Civ connecting to Assassin's Creed via Leonardo Da Vinci, then from AC you went to Rayman, and Rayman's a spirit in Smash.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't know about that. Call of Duty features Richard Nixon in Black Ops. He's also a character in Nuclear War for the Amiga, which also features Mahatma Gandhi. Ghandi connects to Civilisation, and the Civ to Mario connection's already been pointed out earlier in the thread. I believe that it was something along the lines of Civ connecting to Assassin's Creed via Leonardo Da Vinci, then from AC you went to Rayman, and Rayman's a spirit in Smash.

YuKC.gif

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mario Multiverse is enormous. It composes of Mario's universe, but it also includes all the parallel universes that are linked through cameos, mash-ups and cross overs

For example:

Zelda is part of the Mario multiverse

Link appears in an inn in Super Mario RPG.

The Legend of Zelda universe therefore exists within the Mario multiverse.

Sonic is part of the Mario multiverse

Sonic and his acquaintances appear in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.

The Sonic universe therefore exists within the Mario multiverse.

Half-Life is part of the Mario multiverse

Gordon Freeman exists in the same universe as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS appears in Lego Dimensions, alongside Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic and his acquaintances appear in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.

The universe of Half-Life therefore exists within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Lego and Sonic gaming universes.

Halo is part of the Mario multiverse

Master Chief comes from the same universe as SPARTAN-458.

SPARTAN-458 appeared in Dead or Alive 4, linking their universes.

Samus and Ridley appeared in Dead or Alive Dimensions, connecting the Dead or Alive universe to the Metroid universe.

Samus appears in an inn in Super Mario RPG.

Therefore Master Chief and the Halo universe all exist within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Dead or Alive and Metroid gaming universes.

The Witcher is part of the Mario multiverse

Geralt appears in Soul Calibur VI, linking The Witcher universe to that of Soul Calibur.

Link appears in Soul Calibur II, thereby connecting the Zelda Universe to the Soul Calibur universe.

Link appears in an inn in Super Mario RPG.

Therefore Geralt exists within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Soul Calibur and Zelda gaming universes.

Legacy of Kain is part of the Mario multiverse

Kain is a playable character in Lara Croft's Poker Party, linking the Legacy of Kain universe to Tomb Raider.

Lara Croft is a playable character in FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS, linking the Tomb Raider universe to the FF:BE universe.

Cloud appears as a summon in FF:BE, linking the FF:BE universe to Final Fantasy VII.

Cloud is a fighter in Super Smash Bros for Wii U, linking the universe of Final Fantasy VII to Smash Bros.

Mario appears as a combatant in Smash Bros. Therefore the Legacy of Kain exists within the Mario multiverse, by way of the Tomb Raider, FF:BE, Final Fantasy VII and Smash Bros. gaming universes.

I hope these examples illustrate the idea that almost all high-profile gaming franchises, through crossovers, cameos and mash-ups, have all become part of the Mario multiverse.

My question is: What is the highest profile gaming franchise and/or character, that definitely isn't in the Mario multiverse?
Donkey Kong, which the Mario universe is part of.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You are overthinking this. Metal Gear Solid follows the same timeline as the real world up to the nineties. Nixon, therefore, is part of Metal Gear canon. Snake is in Smash Bros. Therefore, Nixon is in the Mario Universe, which means Call of Duty is part of the lore as well.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You are overthinking this. Metal Gear Solid follows the same timeline as the real world up to the nineties. Nixon, therefore, is part of Metal Gear canon. Snake is in Smash Bros. Therefore, Nixon is in the Mario Universe, which means Call of Duty is part of the lore as well.
I must have skipped the history lesson where we learned about the events of MGS3, Peace Walker and MGS5.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I must have skipped the history lesson where we learned about the events of MGS3, Peace Walker and MGS5.
You think the feds would admit to the fact that they almost nuked the entire world on faulty information? They're hiding the truth fam.

But really, Nixon is mentioned by name in Peace Walker.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did nobody get GTA yet?

In San Andreas there are figures in shops of Max Payne characters.
In Max Payne there are Duke Nukem 3D mouse mats.
Duke Nukem series has like a billion references to other IPs and games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't seen any connection to Minesweeper. For people born before 2000 that's a pretty high profile franchise.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The answer is Knack.
1) Everybody's Golf PS4 had a Final Fantasy crossover at one point, and, as is established, Final Fantasy is Mario.
2) Piposaru appears in the PS4 version of Super Bomberman R, Bomberman crossed over with Wario in Wario Blast.

Also here's the best I got for GTA:
1) South Park had an episode where Cartman was obsessed with GTA Chinatown Wars
2) South Park had an episode parodying The Simpsons
3) The Simpsons (which parodied South Park at a few spots) coined the word "Embiggen"
4) The SMM2 Direct used "Embiggen"

...It's a stretch.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
Took some digging, but Infamous Second Son has this:
9CG3dMO.png

Going from Infamous to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale should bring us to Mario relatively quickly.

And that's what I get for never starting this game when I had it.

So, apart from Bas Rutten and Iggy Pop, here's a more solid GTA connection:

Funkmaster Flex was DJ on The Beat 102.7 (GTA 4)
Was in Def Jam Vendetta and ICON with a lot of folks
that were also in Def Jam Fight For New York with Snoop Dogg
who was in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - and the rest

So at least 3 real connections to GTA

I think the new answer is Euro Truck Simulator.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You're also overthinking this

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 features a COD soldier, Spider-Man was in Pro Skater 2, Marvel vs Capcom.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
1) Everybody's Golf PS4 had a Final Fantasy crossover at one point, and, as is established, Final Fantasy is Mario.
2) Piposaru appears in the PS4 version of Super Bomberman R, Bomberman crossed over with Wario in Wario Blast.

I dont think he was questioning if there was an Ape Escape connection because really there are quite a few. Outside of what you mentioned, the Apes showed up in Metal Gear Solid 3, so that links to Smash. They're also in Playstation All Stars, so that's another Metal Gear link.

Incidentally it also ropes in Monster Rancher since the apes were a guest monster at one point.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
FIFA
Grears of War
The Sims
Many players from FIFA appear in Football Manager. The manager from Football Manager was in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Sonic is in Smash.

Gears of War characters had a cameo in Lost Planet 2, along with Frank West, who was in Marvel vs Capcom, along with various characters that appeared in Smash.

The Sims is part of the same universe as Sim City. Sim City had Bowser in it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This reminds me of a game I played with some friends, we have to link an argentinian actor with a Hollywood actor, so you had to chain several actors together to reach the goal.

They secret key was that an actor worked with Al Pacino in Carlito's Way, once everyone recalled that movie the game broke.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War also can be linked to Mario since General RAAM is in Killer Instinct along with Rash from Battletoads. The Battletoads show up in Shovel Knight, who in turn is in Smash.

May 10, 2019
The Suikoden games might be an island.

Assuming nobody counts Psycho Mantis reading your memory card data in MGS1 (and I don't - it just means it's a game in the MGS universe), there's no direct character crossover I can think of.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like using Soul Calibur 2 exclusive characters is cheating. They're never in the same games so I feel like they're split into different universes. Besides, there's plenty of other ways to connect everybody.